passport expired

My Thai wifes passport has expired we are in UK now. She has a UK passport also. If she exits UK on UK passport and enters Thailand on expired passport then renews her Thai passport to exit Thailand and enters UK on UK passport will that be ok. The slight doubt she has is if she leaves UK on UK passport that they would stamp UK passport then when leaving Thailand they might see that she used UK passport to leave UK thus fine her for overstay. sorry for long winded explanation but hope someone can clarify if everything will be ok and no overstay problem.

There is no immigration check when you leave the UK so passports are not stamped - UK or foreign passports. She can enter Thailand on her Thai passport but I'm not not sure it will be stamped in. You won't have a problem - she would only be on overstay if she'd entered Thailand on her UK passport - the I.O. won't be interested in which passport she left the UK on.

My ex did exactly what your proposing years ago with no problem. I can't remember if your wife will be allowed to keep her expired Thai passport but if she is, it would be a good idea to keep it at hand.

Somebody who has done this more recently should be able to confirm this but I believe the procedure is:

Leave UK on Thai Passport.

Enter Thailand on Thai passport.

Use UK passport at check in on return - no need for visa or residence permit that way.

Use Thai passport at Thai immigration.

Use UK passport to enter UK.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

You’ve really over complicated the question... 

Simply put ‘an in-air passport swap’ is carried out by pretty much every dual national who arrives and departs Thailand.... 

Additionally - there are no issues with your Wife entering Thailand on her Expired Thai Passport if she has a valid Thai ID card. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Simply put ‘an in-air passport swap’ is carried out by pretty much every dual national who arrives and departs Thailand.... 

What does make it a little more complicated though is if the wife's Thai passport is in her maiden name, and the UK one in her married name !  Under current rules it won't be possible to renew the UK passport in that situation.

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

What does make it a little more complicated though is if the wife's Thai passport is in her maiden name, and the UK one in her married name !  Under current rules it won't be possible to renew the UK passport in that situation.

Dual nationals applying to renew their UK passport must supply copies of both passports and the name in both passports must be the same. The instructions  on the HMPO advice sheet say that the name in the foreign passport must be changed, but it's quite easy to change your UK name to your foreign name by deedpoll, which is what my wife did, as it would have been much more of a workup to change her Thai i/d, bank accounts and everything else in Thailand than the little she has remaining in the UK.

19 hours ago, Tuvoc said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The question was asked about entering Thailand:

Its simple: Ops Thai Wife can still enter on her Thai Passport (expired).

Once in Thailand she can have her name officially altered to her Married Name (and change her Thai ID etc and apply for a new passport - its simple enough and something ‘most’ wives would be doing anyway).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

There is no immigration check when you leave the UK so passports are not stamped - UK or foreign passports. She can enter Thailand on her Thai passport but I'm not not sure it will be stamped in. You won't have a problem - she would only be on overstay if she'd entered Thailand on her UK passport - the I.O. won't be interested in which passport she left the UK on.

My ex did exactly what your proposing years ago with no problem. I can't remember if your wife will be allowed to keep her expired Thai passport but if she is, it would be a good idea to keep it at hand.

Somebody who has done this more recently should be able to confirm this but I believe the procedure is:

Leave UK on Thai Passport.

Enter Thailand on Thai passport.

Use UK passport at check in on return - no need for visa or residence permit that way.

Use Thai passport at Thai immigration.

Use UK passport to enter UK.

Apparently  it's not a problem and the same issue appears on a other thread. Some people regard it as perfectly  normal  and not in the least complicated.

22 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

You do love to make things complicated for yourself don't you.  If the surnames had been changed when they were supposed to be you wouldn't be in this pickle now.  Self inflicted, no sympathy

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Once in Thailand she can have her name officially altered to her Married Name (and change her Thai ID etc and apply for a new passport - its simple enough and something ‘most’ wives would be doing anyway).

Absolutely and much easier (and faster) than deed poll.

The only point missed is showing both passports on checking in for the flight. The airline needs to see that she can enter Thailand (Thai passport) and leave the U.K. (U.K. passport)

Without showing both passports she is a U.K. citizen and visa exempt rules apply. It is the airline who you need to satisfy not immigration, as it’s the airline who can get fined for refused entry.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I have a question as my daughter has the same problem. Do the Air Lines in Thailand ask about a visa before issuing the the bording pass, or do they not if you purchased  a around trip ticket? 

7 minutes ago, Dickp said:

I have a question as my daughter has the same problem. Do the Air Lines in Thailand ask about a visa before issuing the the bording pass, or do they not if you purchased  a around trip ticket? 

If your daughter is travelling from Thailand on a Thai passport only, she would be denied boarding without a visa. If she also has a passport for the country of her destination, that will satisfy the airline.

When you  book the flight, the small print says that it is your responsibility to have the correct visas. If you don't, they turn you away at checkin

Edited by Eff1n2ret

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The only point missed is showing both passports on checking in for the flight. The airline needs to see that she can enter Thailand (Thai passport) and leave the U.K. (U.K. passport)

Without showing both passports she is a U.K. citizen and visa exempt rules apply. It is the airline who you need to satisfy not immigration, as it’s the airline who can get fined for refused entry.

Don't understand why the airline would need to see her British passport in the case of a flight from the UK to Thailand. Surely the critical passport as far as they were concerned would be the Thai one since that would provide them with certainty that she wouldn't be refused entry into Thailand and, as a result, that they wouldn't be saddled with the expense of flying her back to the UK. Might that, in fact, be what you mean by airlines getting "fined for refused entry"?

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Don't understand why the airline would need to see her British passport in the case of a flight from the UK to Thailand. Surely the critical passport as far as they were concerned would be the Thai one since that would provide them with certainty that she wouldn't be refused entry into Thailand and, as a result, that they wouldn't be saddled with the expense of flying her back to the UK. Might that, in fact, be what you mean by airlines getting "fined for refused entry"?

They need the U.K. passport to see she has a valid passport for international travel. Many airlines and immigration departments will not permit exiting the countries  without a valid passport. The expired Thai passport is not valid for international travel. I have known people refused exit because that was all they had.

There are only 2 airlines where there is any chance of flying with only the expired Thai passport as they are the only ones with direct flights Thai and Eva and you must have a direct flight to have any chance with the expired passport only. With Thai there is a good chance, with Eva I don’t know.

Just avoid the problem and show both passports, enter Thailand on the expired Thai passport 

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Might that, in fact, be what you mean by airlines getting "fined for refused entry"?

Refused entry applies to anyone Thai immigration feel should not be allowed into Thailand, this never applies to Thai nationals. Thai immigration/authorities can and do impose hefty fines on airlines who transport passengers who don’t meet the entry requirements. That is why if your paperwork is not in order the airline will refuse to let you fly   Those fines are in addition to the cost of the flight out