New Doc Required for Non-O Based on Marriage?

Hi everyone,

I plan to apply for a Non-O visa based on marriage from inside Thailand soon (I'll arrive with a Tourist visa). Checking the list of documents I'll need to prepare now, I came across one that I have no idea what it is. From reading around the forum, my understanding is this is a newly added this year.

6.3 Letter from a government office, embassy or consulate, certifying that the applicant is a member of the referred family

Anyone have any idea what exactly this is? I'm a US citizen, if that helps. I know I might need to make an appointment with the US Embassy in Bangkok, but I don't know what doc I need to request from them.

Appreciate any suggestion!

By definition of 6.2/6.3, you were married in a foreign (not Thailand) country.   I would email the US Embassy and confirm that they will provide such a document (essentially it's confirmation that your foreign marriage is legal).   I'm sure you won't be the first to request this.

I am actually getting married in Thailand (while I'm gonna be on TV), so our marriage certificate will have been issued by a Thai authority.

@pagallim You're saying 6.3 is only for people who registered marriage in a foreign country (outside of Thailand)? Checking the list of docs again my impression is yes, 6.2 is for people who got married outside of Thailand, but 6.3 is required for every applicant regardless of where they got married?

3 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

I am actually getting married in Thailand (while I'm gonna be on TV), so our marriage certificate will have been issued by a Thai authority.

@pagallim You're saying 6.3 is only for people who registered marriage in a foreign country (outside of Thailand)? Checking the list of docs again my impression is yes, 6.2 is for people who got married outside of Thailand, but 6.3 is required for every applicant regardless of where they got married?

No, not applicable if marriage is in Thailand, only Kor Ror 2 and Kor Ror 3.   Check this out from Phuket Immigration (yes, we all know that there can be variances between different offices).   http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

The letter mentioned in 6.3 is required by whichever Amphur you are going to use to get your marriage registered.   Essentially it's confirmation that you are free to marry (i.e. single or prove of divorce etc).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdwardM said:

Anyone have any idea what exactly this is? I'm a US citizen, if that helps. I know I might need to make an appointment with the US Embassy in Bangkok, but I don't know what doc I need to request from them.

Immigration does not normally ask for that when applying for the non-o visa.

If needed might be able get a statement from a Thai government official such a the village headman or komnan for where you are living.

As ubonjoe said, the immigration office you are applying for the Non-O does not normally ask...however, the CM office did when I applied.  It may be because I was married in the US and had to get the Kor Ror 22 (item 6.2). 

But just in case you want to go through the process of getting the document for 6.3, check out the link which will explain what you need.  Just a heads up, appointments are limited.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit-legally-free-marry/

• Like 1

Just now, EdwardM said:

Thank you Pagallim, Ubonjoe and @howlee101.

@howlee101, so the additional doc that you had to provide for 6.3 was the Marriage Affidavit that states you're legally free to marry?

Actually it was the "blank affidavit" that I needed vice the "Marriage affidavit".  The blank affidavit was a fill in the blanks with information saying "we got married in (US state) on this date blah, blah, blah".  Raise your right hand and swear what you wrote was true, the consular stamps the affidavit (at a cost of $50) and I was on my way.  

• Like 1

I bet the immigration wants to see a proof that you are married and living together. I had (long ago) even to show pictures of the apartment we were living in with both of us on the couch.

It is common for immigration to ask paper proof which are given by other Thai Governmental Departments. They cannot look into the system.

49 minutes ago, T0nD0n said:

I bet the immigration wants to see a proof that you are married and living together. I had (long ago) even to show pictures of the apartment we were living in with both of us on the couch.

It is common for immigration to ask paper proof which are given by other Thai Governmental Departments. They cannot look into the system.

In Chiang Mai, the pictures are still a requirement....five in all: one sitting on the bed, one standing in front of the house number, and three other random pics.  Some of the paperwork requirements is mind boggling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Yes, they specifically ask for at least 6 photos of us living together. I'll never understand why a photo of us in a specific room is important... 

Because its Thailand, because they have never heard of photo shopping, or any other form of digital manipulation  ( unless they are teenage girls) because lots of things here are at least 20 years behind the times. and finally because they don't trust you as a farang can keep a Thai lady for any more than a max of 5 years, before you get bored,  or she gets bord and you both move on.  

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Confused 1

In addition to the info above, you should read the US Embassy's webpage about marrying a Thai inside Thailand, been there/done that.

And read up on getting documents officially translated/stamped with the MFA.

2. Most Amphurs require you obtain a notarized marriage/divorce affidavit from the U.S. Embassy Bangkok, or Consulate General Chiang Mai.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/ 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Cool, thanks @bbko! Working on that with my fiancée now, in fact. Here hoping we don't mess anything up as I want to make sure I have enough time from my TV left before applying for Non-O.

The hard part for me when I got married (15 years ago), was going back & forth with the US Embassy (their appointments fill up fast) and going back and forth with the MFA.  Not a big problem if you plan on staying in BKK, but for me traveling to/from Pattaya took some work.

Good Luck.

• Like 1