British man allegedly assaulted with a dumbbell by unidentified foreigner at Pattaya gym following verbal argument over gym equipment

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Reed said that there was no queue to use the equipment and he lay down to begin lifting weights.

No excuse for violence, but it's common etiquette to let someone use equipment first if they have been waiting to use it.

Imagine you've been waiting patiently to use a piece of equipment, then when the person using it leaves someone else jumps on it.  You tell them politely that you were actually waiting for that equipment and they say "there's no queue for the equipment" and just go on using it.

Doesn't justify hitting someone with a dumbbell, but the "victim" sounds like a bit of an a$$hole.

I have been training  on and off for decades, never do I now bother asking if someone has finished or how many sets they  have left. I just do something different or a similar exercise until the equipment is free. Just no point.  And it’s not the worry of someone with ‘roid rage’.  Bloody youngsters! Mobile phones!  I swear I have done a 45 min workout looking at a bench after asking ‘how many more mate’ wanting to use it and the  tw## still sits there on the end of it typing on his phone the whole time.  And this isn’t a rare occasion, happens all the time in the UK.  The next time you hear of a dumbbell attack , it will probably be in the UK.  Oh and no roids will be involved in this incident.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I had an old (late) Swedish friend who was 'well-heeled' and very wealthy (from an 'old money' family), I guessed in the $10 million range. He lived in Thailand for about 13 years, but often talked of moving to Spain. I got the impression that Thailand was not clean enough, and too chaotic for him (and 'too foreign').

There are countless issues here, which prevent wealthy people from visiting, much less living here. There are a few wealthy ex-pats living here. Maybe 50. Likely, most of them are single. 

I doubt if any of those issues are being addressed. In order for a problem to be solved, it requires smart people, with open minds, and some humility, who are willing to admit the problem exists to begin with. The current crop are dull, completely lack creativity and initiative, and their level of hubris makes improvement nearly impossible. They are only capable of moving backwards, hence the generally backward movement of the nation. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I find it impossible in a land of almost permanent sunshine to understand why anyone would want to use a gymnasium, especially the tiny little gyms you get out here.

Looked like a reasonably large and well equipped place. If it is air-conditioned too, that alone makes it a good place to work out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I find it impossible in a land of almost permanent sunshine to understand why anyone would want to use a gymnasium, especially the tiny little gyms you get out here

Not all but some are just fronts for illegal activities I have been advised.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yep, lots of crazies around these days.

I made a comment yesterday regarding the ATM that got beaten up (smashed to pieces). 

It's those steroid tourists that have been arriving since borders reopened.

These are angry guys.

"It's those steroid tourists that have been arriving since borders reopened."

Steroid tourists...

53 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I have been training  on and off for decades, never do I now bother asking if someone has finished or how many sets they  have left. I just do something different or a similar exercise until the equipment is free. Just no point.  And it’s not the worry of someone with ‘roid rage’.  Bloody youngsters! Mobile phones!  I swear I have done a 45 min workout looking at a bench after asking ‘how many more mate’ wanting to use it and the  tw## still sits there on the end of it typing on his phone the whole time.  And this isn’t a rare occasion, happens all the time in the UK.  The next time you hear of a dumbbell attack , it will probably be in the UK.  Oh and no roids will be involved in this incident.

That was certainly a bit of a rant. I certainly don't like people asking me "how many more? when I'm training. That is pathetic; hassling people whilst they are working out.

I just tell "I don't know and then roundly ignore them. Sounds as if that is what happened to you. 

Good etiquette is to ask the person to let you know when they are done. That way they may even reserve the equipment for you whilst you make your way over.

If some idiot stood there waiting whilst I was training, I would not be impressed and would likely really take my time.

If you are in a hurry, ask to alternate. Otherwise just ask them to let you know when they are finished. Don't be selfish and annoying.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If the machine had been working it wouldn't have happened. But it did and he should be jailed, of course.

So you’re saying no one else may have tried to use the ‘repaired’ available one and suffered the same fate. Very flawed logic there 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

"Selfish and annoying" are the tw#ts who do a half-hearted set on some machine and then sit there gormlessly for 5 minutes playing FB or TikTok or whatever on their phone

5 minutes?  How about 30.  I stopped going to public gyms the roid heads, grunting and groaning, smelly locker rooms, bad aircon,  people with attitudes no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I think it is inconsiderate to monopolize a station. Most sets take a minute, and most people rest much more than a minute between sets. It's easy to put on or take off weight---or simply pull a pin on a machine. Plenty of others can slip in while one recovers. I used to rotate through the bench with a couple of defensive lineman at university, even though I was a wide receiver, because we happened to use the same weight. It's easy and polite, and lets everyone get through their routine faster.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It seems he did not want police involvement which is why he reported the alleged assault to the Pattaya News. ????

Really?...

"As of press time, the suspect remains at large and Mr. Reed has filed a report with the Pattaya Police as well as going to local media with the footage".

• Like 1

Must be to much steroids.

This remind me of an event in an elevator at an office/condo building in Sukhumvit Soi 13 rather many years ago.  When me and my friends entered the elevator there was a guy standing, one of those that look like a muscle monster, You know one of those with more muscles that fit on a normal skeleton and they always tend to buy a XS t-shirt to their XXL torso. (if you are one don't be offended I have nothing against you, I have some friends like you) On next level 2 girls enter the elevator and they started to chit chatt a bit, Just like a normal conversation and they spoke rather silent almost whispering. After maybe 10-15 second of talking muscle man started to scream at the poor girs, that in an elevator there is private space, and he is not interested in listen to other peoples conversations, he was cursing at them and calling them names...  When we hit the ground floor the muscle man rushed out of the elevator talking loud and angry to him self. The girls looked like they were in shock.