British man allegedly assaulted with a dumbbell by unidentified foreigner at Pattaya gym following verbal argument over gym equipment

webfact

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Must be the in thing weapon of choice this season. Was in the media recently about an Aussie assaulting someone with dumbells at the gym in Darwin. 

Well, you know what Darwin said about some creatures being more evolved than others. Gym creatures, while muscular like gorillas, are on average not that evolved. 

8 hours ago, mustaphawanc said:

So anyone who goes to the gym is a meathead? 

Most certainly not, I have admiration for people who go to gyms and keep themselves fit, it's the steroid taking weight lifters (not weight tralners) who look like freaks with veins sticking out all over their bodies I don't understand.

I don't know who is the most unsightly, them or the daily beer drinking guys with the massive bellies.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

I own a very old chateau in France. The ground floor windows are long, angled slits, because there were plenty of times when things were not safe. The home is old enough to have housed folks during the Black Death of the 14th C, the second coming of the Bubonic Plague, and the Reign of Terror. Those were likely a sight worse than Covid.

Would point out the problem wasn't COVID.

The problem was the governments locking up the young and healthy.

For no good reason as we've nearly all caught COVID despite the restrictions.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

good police get the psycho guy, an attack like this , coward . Hope he will get some extra  jail time.

He will be treat if seated next to him on his way home after deportation

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Love the headline explanation of a "verbal argument". What was the alternative to speaking? Texting, writing rude notes and holding them up for each other to read, threatening sign language?

Like the "allegedly" part, their is a video of him doing it what is allegedly about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:
4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If the machine had been working it wouldn't have happened. But it did and he should be jailed, of course.

So you’re saying no one else may have tried to use the ‘repaired’ available one and suffered the same fate. Very flawed logic there

Not everyone who might have tried to use it is a raging psycho. If it had been working there would have been no dispute over who used the working one, would there. Here's the logic - two working machines and two people wanting to use a similar machine at the same time. No problem. Only one machine working and one of the two wanting to use it at that particular time is a psycho and then there's a problem. Perfectly logical to me.

Two machines, two users, fine. One machine, two users with one a nutter, problem. Anyone 'else', as you put it, who had to wait would have done what you and I would have done, and that is wait rather than grab a weapon.

• Like 1

There seems to be many misconceptions about gyms and the people who use them in this thread.  Gyms can be used both for cardio (running, biking, jogging) and strength training which build muscle in arms, legs, shoulder, chest etc.

People who use gyms range from teens to octogenarians; from skinny to average to muscular to fat; male, female and anything in between. 

Rather than chance a stroke or heat exhaustion in a hot climate by running/jogging  a gym often offers an air conditioned alternative. Plus allows all types of people to build strength in their muscles using either machines or free weights.

And regrettably, there are the nut cases such as the guy with the dumb bell!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Like the "allegedly" part, their is a video of him doing it what is allegedly about it.

Can’t convict a man without a judge and/or jury. It’s allegedly him until proven beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law.

It’d certainly save a lot of time and money if all the bs could be sidestepped when one is bang to rights though, hey 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i see they've arrested him, story to follow...

Geeze, I really had thoughts the cops would do nothing, as usual. 

Probably all the press, publicity makes it hard for the cops to ignore this issue. 

24 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Geeze, I really had thoughts the cops would do nothing, as usual. 

Probably all the press, publicity makes it hard for the cops to ignore this issue. 

You think  the Thai  cops do nothing! You are so wrong. This is an easy case for them, they will find the perp and get good publicity. Thai cops  in some respects are very pro active. They are much better than  the useless  British  police  force- who have let down all sections of society,  are lazy  corrupt, incompetent and heavily  politicised.

• Like 2

One does not come to Thailand and SUDDENLY commit grievous bodily assault with a bar-bell.

The man probably has a criminal record  in his country including serious offenses

He never should have been let into Thailand.

Criminal checks are needed desperately.

I don't believe in visa free nonsense or allowing ANYBODY into "Thighland"

land without an Immigration  review of their arrest and detention records.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thai cops  in some respects are very pro active

That's your opinion 

Only proactivity I see from Thai cops are the traffic infringements, us foreigners get hammered.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

That's the only pro activity you see but it's not the only activity that exists. It's not just  my 'opinion' it's a fact. It's a well informed  opinion - your view is a  prejudice. I have been here years on and off and one thing we learn is that the  Thai  police  are very active in apprehending criminals as its very lucrative  for them. In all manner of crimes they  track down perps and get a 'reward' from the victim.

They act as negotiators  taking a 'cut' in civil and criminal  matters.

They arrests thrives and burglars and get a 'gift'.

You know little or nothing about Thai  police and  less about Thailand. Its a paranoid delusion that they pick on foreigners more  than Thais - just BS spread by a few motor vehicle operators  who break the law.

What's with the hostility, Mr. Knowitall?

Did you get out of the bed on the wrong side this morning? 

Geeze, chill out dude. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

"Good etiquette" is not spending 15 minutes to do 3 sets of reps if there are clearly other gym users wanting to use that equipment. 

"Selfish and annoying" are the tw#ts who do a half-hearted set on some machine and then sit there gormlessly for 5 minutes playing FB or TikTok or whatever on their phone

If someone is on their phone, then it is perfectly acceptable to apply a little pressure in the form of suggesting that you alternate.

That will either speed them up or get them up so that you can have your alternate turn.

Perfectly reasonable; so no one likely to take offence.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Can’t convict a man without a judge and/or jury. It’s allegedly him until proven beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law.

It’d certainly save a lot of time and money if all the bs could be sidestepped when one is bang to rights though, hey 

Says he was "allegedly assaulted with a dumbbell". The identity of the perpretator is alleged. The assault is without question.

I would think that is overly cautious to phrase it the way it has been expressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Says he was "allegedly assaulted with a dumbbell". The identity of the perpretator is alleged. The assault is without question.

I would think that is overly cautious to phrase it the way it has been expressed.

I  agree with you, and  the phrase "allegedly" assaulted with a dumbell is totally misleading - the only thing that is in question is the identity or nationality of the attacker, but they do make it clear that he is not Thai!

18 hours ago, Inala said:

Bloody hell, that's savage, could've killed him with that dumbell. I don't understand people who can so easily act out this sort of violence. To think, he could've ended up doing a life sentence for murder, just over a stupid gym bench?? Why not wait a few minutes then it's all yours....this shows someone with an extremely low IQ who acts before they think with limited or no ability to reason. 

Just think, some poor unsuspecting bar girl is probably going to end up with this guy when he's out mongering...I really feel sorry for any girl that does, cos this guy is a moron, no doubt about it. She will for sure end up on the receiving end of his temper and violence.  

I really wish people with bad tempers like this didn't exist, but I guess it kind of explains why mankind is so willing to go to war with each other all through history and no doubt will continue to do so forever in the future.

absolutely, so often thai's are singled out as being unable to control their temper, while in fact the truth is far from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1