Pawn Hub! Father fails to sell washing machine to help pay for son's education

webfact

3pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: I'd like to pawn this

Daily News went to a government pawn shop run by the municipality in Sisaket in Thailand's north east.

Yesterday was the start of term and the facility had arranged for 120 million baht in funds to be available as they were expecting many parents desperate for cash.

They were not disappointed. Large numbers of parents turned up to pawn jewelry and electrical appliances in particular.

Manager Sawat Thaomai took the press to see a storeroom where the pawned items are categorized and kept after they have been examined and deemed suitable for pawning.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

He said 80% of pawned items were gold jewelry like necklaces. 

The facility has a promotion for May and June offering monthly interest rates as low as .25% on small deals and 1% on items over 5,000 baht in value. 

But one father named only as "A" was to be disappointed.

He needed some money to pay for his son's university education in Ubon Ratchathani and hoped to get 2,500 baht for a washing machine.

But on inspection it was found to be faulty so he had to take it back and find some other way to raise the money. 

Many Thais pawn items at the start of term making the country something of a Pawn Hub, notes ASEAN NOW. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

if someone knows this guy's promptpay...

I think you should share this story/posts on srisaket social media. The pickup truck has an easily recognisable sticker on the rear side.

1 minute ago, chuang said:

The comment is directed at those who treated it s  joke......

I didn't read anything (As a joke) that way. A poster offered to help the father from Srisaket and I gave some advise on how to potentially get in contact with the father. I don't get the joke (?) I live in Surin provence and have the social media info for this provence. It is different for the next provence over.  

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Pity to see that people have to sell their belongings to send kids to school when others throw money around, buying new submarines (with no engines).

The "have and have-nots"... worldwide problem.

Some go to state school others are sent abroad...

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

Who is your comment directed at? 

The webfact team and Asean now editorial staff. I have also reported it.

BTW - I find your question rather strange. Do you know how forums  and threads work?

"REPLY TO THIS TOPIC"

Is a clue! LOL

Edited by The Hammer2021

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it wasn't, she was not expelled by the school!

A 14-year-old female junior high school student, attending a school in Thailand’s southern province of Phatthalung, has committed suicide after she was allegedly expelled by her teacher for failing to show up on the first day of the new school term on May 9th and for allegedly failing to pay the school fees.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it wasn't, she was not expelled by the school!

A 14-year-old female junior high school student, attending a school in Thailand’s southern province of Phatthalung, has committed suicide after she was allegedly expelled

"Allegedly".

The Bangkok Post reports that a student counsellor advised her to change schools, as her mother wanted and move from Satri Phatthalung School in Phatthalung province to a school near her home in Songkhla province, because of the family's financial problems.

If that is true, advice to change schools (because of financial difficulties and the mother's wishes) is not expulsion.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

went to a government pawn shop run by the municipality in Sisaket in Thailand's north east.

Shameful that a pawn shop set up by the government to help the poor should be charging interest. maybe put it into the education system 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The facility has a promotion for May and June offering monthly interest rates as low as .25% on small deals and 1% on items over 5,000 baht in value. 

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

A university education for 2,500 baht, that's a bargain.

Are you trying to say 2,500b is the cost for the schooling?  555.  More likely school supplies or food or other daily living expenses.

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Allegedly".

The Bangkok Post reports that a student counsellor advised her to change schools, as her mother wanted and move from Satri Phatthalung School in Phatthalung province to a school near her home in Songkhla province, because of the family's financial problems.

If that is true, advice to change schools (because of financial difficulties and the mother's wishes) is not expulsion.

A teacher telling a student not to come back to the school because of missing 1st day and not paying school fees is expulsion.  Telling her what alternatives she had doesn't excuse  the fact she was told not to come back, alegedly.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, rbkk said:

I have requested help to contact/find this father on the Dailynews facebook page for you.

21 hours ago, Tony125 said:

If you get that info post it  on the forum. Others might also want to contribute. I would have paid for the little 14 year old girl who killed herself tuition if had known about it before hand.

Update: Sadly Dailynews have not responded to either my message on Messenger or my E-mail. Perhaps others have some better ideas/luck?