If there is no kitchen in apartment or condo, can I cook with induction cooker?

Probably....

I'd probably opt for a small fridge, microwave, & electric oven - there's a lot than can be prepared with that combo if you're willing to relearn some of your skills....You could also get an electric mukata grill that basically will let you cook with chopsticks.....

Pan frying food is going to muck up the walls, linens, etc in a small room.....

Better check on your available electric service before you overheat the service & burn the building down....

I have seen some rooms that have ample space on an open rear balcony for a small cooking space.....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In condo will be fine, apartments most likely ok but you should check with owner. What isn't allowed is a gas stove, apparently preferred by Indians

If I’m not mistaken, gas cookers are illegal in Condos and Apartments. 

If you mean something like this... Then no issues whatsoever unless your rent clause states ‘no cooking’ in the apartment. 

As you mention ‘IF’ there is no cooker in kitchen or apartment: Does this imply you are in a debate with someone about cooking in a ‘single room’ or you are looking to purchase or rent a cheap single room?.... 

IF this is something you are choosing - it would be well worth considering a unit with a ‘kitchen area’ even if there is no cooker there (and a fridge / Toaster / Microwave etc)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is that a 'can you' or 'may you' question ?  As someone may have already pointed out, the rules of the condo / apt, will dictate the 'may you' part. 

Can you ? ... I give up, can you ?

• Thanks 1

Guest truthman

Get a halogen oven and an induction cooker and you can cook and bake just about anything. In fact, the induction hob is much better than the usual built-in electric hob, it heats up faster and burns more efficiently. Microwaves are useless for anything other than heating things up.

Cooking will create a smell, however, that will waft down the outside corridor if you're in a small apartment. I live in a big condo and the smell still carries over half the floor.

There really is a need here for a thread on "minimalist cooking appliances for the single gent leading the good life in Thailand".

I suppose many eat out or get delivery, but I do all my cooking with:

Electric jug

Toaster

Rice cooker

One electric hot-plate

Slow cooker (crock-pot) - good results, but stinks up the room for the hours that it's on.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:51 AM, law ling said:

There really is a need here for a thread on "minimalist cooking appliances for the single gent leading the good life in Thailand".

I suppose many eat out or get delivery, but I do all my cooking with:

Electric jug

Toaster

Rice cooker

One electric hot-plate

Slow cooker (crock-pot) - good results, but stinks up the room for the hours that it's on.

Add an air fryer, kettle and a microwave for all round coverage.  I tend to use a pot on the induction hob for rice although I do have a rice cooker too, but have never had a slow cooker even outside of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Most apartments if not all have some kind of “tea kitchen” arrangements, with fridge, microwave, water boiler, and a induction plate. It is an advantage if the apartment already have a kitchen extractor fan. 

We added a oven and a electric small bbq on the balcony. 

Did you rent already? 

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You have to have a pretty decent electrical service to power an induction cooker. 

Induction cookers run off any normal house or condo/hotel outlet.   Granted, if at a 'low' period, it won't run efficiently, as will all appliances.  

Induction cookers don't need any type of extra wiring or dedicated source.  Most outlets provide plenty of juice for 2000w appliances, as that's what ours is rated at, so possibly draws a wee bit more at start up.

Our kitchen has 2 frigs, electric oven, and induction cooker, and all have run at the same time, with no issues.  May even be a few other things on the same line running, since a rental.

30 amp breaker will allow 7000+ watts drawn on 220v source ... I think, or something in that range.

Saying that, I've 'metered' my outlets in first house, rural, and the outlets fluctuated between 150-250v during the day ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Induction cookers run off any normal house or condo/hotel outlet.   Granted, if at a 'low' period, it won't run efficiently, as will all appliances.  

Induction cookers don't need any type of extra wiring or dedicated source.  Most outlets provide plenty of juice for 2000w appliances, as that's what ours is rated at, so possibly draws a wee bit more at start up.

Our kitchen has 2 frigs, electric oven, and induction cooker, and all have run at the same time, with no issues.  May even be a few other things on the same line running, since a rental.

30 amp breaker will allow 7000+ watts drawn on 220v source ... I think, or something in that range.

Saying that, I've 'metered' my outlets in first house, rural, and the outlets fluctuated between 150-250v during the day ????

The guy is talking about putting it in what sounds like single room apartment. 

I don't think I said it needed a special outlet, I think I said it needed a decent service. Any modern condo would likely be fine, a fan-room in a  thirty-year-old five-floor walk-up, maybe not. 

31 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The guy is talking about putting it in what sounds like single room apartment. 

I don't think I said it needed a special outlet, I think I said it needed a decent service. Any modern condo would likely be fine, a fan-room in a  thirty-year-old five-floor walk-up, maybe not. 

I threw the 'dedicated' line in, as an extra thought, JIC the OP is a yank, as most electric ovens in the USA need a dedicated 220v line to operate.  So maybe OP might think the same about TH.   He/she doesn't show a location, but by simply asking, means not the most familiar with electric in TH.