21 weeks into 2022 and already 213 Mass shootings in USA

CharlieH

It's 21 weeks into the year and America has already seen 213 mass shootings

On May 14, a racist attack at a Buffalo, New York, supermarket snatched the lives of 10 people and left three more injured. It was the deadliest mass shooting of the year in the United States.

Ten days later, a gunman targeted a 4th grade class at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, killing 21. It was the deadliest school shooting in America since Sandy Hook.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/15/1099008586/mass-shootings-us-2022-tally-number

When I was 12 years old, got my hunting license after taking a safety course. 
With the license came a NRA application. 
Millions of hunters unwittingly joined this gun manufacturers lobby posing as a hunters right group hunters and are fed an unending supply of NRA propaganda.
Any proposed gun laws are labeled tyrannical by Democrats while they divide the country and finance Republican campaigns. 
They convince NRA members that Democrats will take all the guns and more guns make the USA safer, even advocating the arming the nearly 4 million teachers. 

Gun sales are going thru the roof this week as right wing media uses the talk of gun safety laws to scare the rubes. 

120,000 Americans will get shot this year and it’s considered “collateral damage” because hey, someone,  someday just might to get to shoot a bad guy. 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2022 at 3:46 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

With people like that nobody should be surprised:

Sen. Ted Cruz rejects calls for gun control and suggests more armed cops should be stationed at schools after devastating Texas school shooting

Sen. Ted Cruz rejects calls for gun control and suggests more armed cops should be stationed at schools after devastating Texas school shooting (yahoo.com)

One of the big problems with the USA and it's citizens is that they are all sure that the USA is the best country in the world and everybody wants to be just like them. They don't see reality because most of them don't look over their borders or care for the rest of the world. If they would open their eyes even slightly then they could learn a lot from the rest of the world. But no, it's America, the land of the free, the best country in universe and all that.

On this one Ted and the NRA are wrong.  i carried a firearm for over 20 years.  In that time I knew of two cops had ND’s(Negligent Discharges).  They shot themselves in the leg.  I almost got shot in the face with a shotgun when an overzealous officer at the range swung the barrel at me.  So if highly trained police officers have ND’s then what about those who are less trained.  Also, no one truly knows how they will or even if they will react in a real life shoot scenario.  I knew of a Deputy Marshall who ran out the courtroom when a prisoner wrestled a firearm away from another Deputy Marshall.  ‘

I consider myself as a somewhat of Conservative who has not voted for a Republican in the last two Elections but on this issue both Ted and the NRA are wrong.  Having an armed office or security guard at a school does not make it safer.  It just makes it look safer.  As we remember in Florida an armed Deputy Sheriff stayed outside of the school as students were bing shot.  His name was Peterson.  He claimed to be following Department Policy.  On that day “Dam the policy because people are dying”.  

• Like 2

Just a thought, if you can't get the guns because of the constitution or whatever, get the ammunition !

Outlaw the ammunition, or TAX it to oblivion, guns are useless without ammo !

Attach the regulations chdckx etc to obtaining ammo.

Wonder how may they'd sell if the ammo was a thousand dollars a round !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just a thought, if you can't get the guns because of the constitution or whatever, get the ammunition !

Think then you would just have the rich nutters going around murdering people. If you like the elite of the unhinged.

Just now, Excel said:

Think then you would just have the rich nutters going around murdering people. If you like the elite of the unhinged.

I doubt very much you'd have 213 mass shootings though.

It would vastly reduce access, that's the idea.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Who knows maybe you are right but as many of the US  population, including wealthy senators and governors appear ignorant of the sanctity of human live, I seriously doubt it would have much effect.

Edited by Excel

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Here's an idea, how about let's try enforcing the laws we already have, and then start making a lot of new ones? How that war on drugs going? I see we've really got that border locked down as well. 

I here a lot for the left about how we need to do something, but they never seem to get around to telling us what they want to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Yes, out of the hands of the law abiding poor and middle class, and reserved for the rich and the criminals. 

Do people that steal care what it costs? 

A Florida state representative named Randy Fine threatened President Biden in a tweet saying that he could be targeted if his administration tries to ban guns. Fine tweeted:

“I have news for the embarrassment that claims to be our President — try to take our guns and you’ll learn why the Second Amendment was written in the first place.” 

On 5/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, Excel said:

Who knows maybe you are right but as many of the US  population, including wealthy senators and governors appear ignorant of the sanctity of human live, I seriously doubt it would have much effect.

Hmmm, I wonder....... 

Is "the sanctity of human life" a worthwhile standard? 

After all, if that is an absolute, then we should outlaw bicycles, because people die on them. We should outlaw swimming pools, because people die in them. We should outlaw motorcycles and cars and airplanes, too. 

Because.......... if we continue to allow those things.......... KNOWING FULL WELL that people die because of them........ aren't we KNOWINGLY disrespecting "the sanctity of human life?"

But if it is NOT an absolute, well, then we have to get into drawing lines: Some lives are sufficiently "sanctified"......... and others are not. Some quantity of lives qualify as a "sanctified" total.......... and below that number......... are not!

Because............ if you are using "the sanctity of human life" as your standard.......... then ONE dead would be too many!

And if you allow something........... ANYTHING........ that results in one or more deaths? ........... Well, someone might come along and accuse you of being "ignorant of the sanctity of human life!" 

????????????

The reality, of course, is somewhat different than that.

The reality is............ Sometimes choices have to be made.

Choices get made KNOWING that perfection isn't possible and some people may be harmed or even killed. And someone, somewhere, has to face that reality and decide exactly what level of harm and death is tolerable.......... and what level is not. 

Because sometimes............ the choices that result in ZERO harm or death............. simply......... don't....... exist!

It is a simple fact of life that there are good reasons for having guns. Not all the reasons are good......... and not all the good reasons apply to all people. But there are STILL good reasons for having guns. 

And that means, when we're talking about guns, "the sanctity of human life" CANNOT BE treated as an absolute. Because with guns, there IS NO choice where zero people will get hurt or killed. That choice....... simply........ doesn't........ exist! 

But despite that........... there are STILL good reasons for having guns! 

Cheers! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy