Former Retirees Trying to Return to Thailand

My wife and I (both British) had valid Thai Non-Immigrant O visas which were issued in 2014.  We were then granted annual extensions, valid until December 2015.  (My visa was extended by reason of “retirement” and my wife was my “dependent”.)  We then both successfully applied for further annual extensions.  The latest annual extensions were valid until December 2020.

In January 2020 we flew to the UK for family reasons, with valid re-entry permits.  And then came covid, lockdown, and the subsequent difficulties of travelling.  Obviously, our annual extensions and non-Immigrant O visas have now expired, and likewise our re-entry permits.  But it seems we can at long last now return more easily to Thailand. 

I know regulations have changed many times in the past 2/3 years.  Is it possible to reinstate our annual extensions at the Embassy in London, or at Immigration in Chiang Mai?  Or are we back to square one?  We have always maintained a balance in our bank during our enforced absence in excess of 800,000 baht in the hope that that might help, come this day.  Hope springs eternal.    

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot have your extensions restated anywhere.

You will have to start all over again by getting new non-o visas and then new extension of stay.

Joe, as stated above they can both enter visa exempt (with insurance) and convert to non OA in country, can’t they?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Joe, as stated above they can both enter visa exempt (with insurance) and convert to non OA in country, can’t they?

That's what i was thinking visa exempt+ 30 day extension, has money in the bank.

Now sit back and wait for the ''use an agent'' comments.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

good idea - if you don't mind the minimal expense, makes life easy... glad you mentioned it... though doing it yourself should be easy too... 

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That's what i was thinking visa exempt+ 30 day extension, has money in the bank.

Doubt anyone would suggest agent as the OP stated this......

"We have always maintained a balance in our bank during our enforced absence in excess of 800,000 baht".

The OP would not require an extension.

With money already in place he can obtain non O retirement as soon as he arrives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can enter visa exempt as a pathway to non O retirement.

The problem in OP's case is that is wife was getting extension for being a member of his family. That non-o visa cannot be applied for at immigration (is not on the list).

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

good idea - if you don't mind the minimal expense, makes life easy... glad you mentioned it... though doing it yourself should be easy too... 

Previously did it himself.

Also currently has the required funds in Thai bank.

Agent not required. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The problem in OP's case is that is wife was getting extension for being a member of his family. That non-o visa cannot be applied for at immigration (is not on the list).

Yes I mention that in my first post and hoping that you could clarify the steps for wife to piggyback on his  non O and extension. ......

"Not 100% clear on what your wife need to do to piggy back on your non O.

Ubonjoe or expert can clarify that"

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I mention that in my first post and hoping that you could clarify the steps for wife to piggyback on his  non O and extension. 

It has been a problem for many people since many embassies and official consulates do not include family members in their list of visas since covid 19 started. Some have had to apply for the non-o visa at immigration for retirement and then apply for the extension for being a family member of the person with the extension.

Now that the borders have opened a trip to Laos may be best. That is what people were doing before.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Previously did it himself.

Also currently has the required funds in Thai bank.

Agent not required. 

of course not required - - but quite convenient if you don't want to do it yourself... for me, the agents fee to do the paperwork is easily affordable and saves me the time... and yes, I did my own for many years... 

• Like 2

Just a thought, has the poster accessed their bank account  in the last 2 years, i seem to remember on this forum, people stating that their bank accounts were closed to to inactivity after a year., it has been nearly 2 1/2 years since they were here. hopefully not the case here

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

For some reason there are people on this site who think that using an agent is an anathema, I meet all the legal requirements but use an agent for convenience.

Exactly or people who turn around every 10 baht coin three times. Love to pay for the agent service, I haven't had any headache for 3+ years since. Just smile for the yearly webcam photo and sign a few papers + done in 30 minutes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

We had the same situation in December, start again with TM 30, TM87, then to counter 7 in Jomtien for the 90 day Non O.

They wanted proof of address (we had done the TM30) and would not accept the front page copy of my chanote but wanted a copy of the back page as well plus a letter from our condo juristic person stating that we actually lived there.

Also they said my wife could not piggy back on my financials for the first year but would have to apply independently (800,000 in her bank)

They were obliviously making it difficult for us leaving 2 options, open negotiations with them (I take care you) which I had negotiated on previous occasions or use an agent.

As we had spent 2 hours in a crowded space (not good for Covid 19) getting the 2 TM30 approval I decided to use a friendly agent.

For the price of a new scooter everything was sorted in about a month that just left 2 multiple reentry permits to do myself (THB 7200), maybe I'll do Certificates of Residence later.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

For some reason there are people on this site who think that using an agent is an anathema, I meet all the legal requirements but use an agent for convenience.

I also use someone to clean and detail the car, cut the grass and any work that requires climbing.

I also confess to using the private hospital system and fly business class.

Its my money therefore my choice on how to spend it.

I pay someone to clean my apartment 'cos I don't feel like it ... all these people godda live as well ...

Edited by BusyB

4 hours ago, howerde said:

Just a thought, has the poster accessed their bank account  in the last 2 years, i seem to remember on this forum, people stating that their bank accounts were closed to to inactivity after a year., it has been nearly 2 1/2 years since they were here. hopefully not the case here

they won't close the account with a large balance in. Worth checking T&C's to see what triggers closure, usually it's a low balance

5 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I also use someone to clean and detail the car, cut the grass and any work that requires climbing.

I also confess to using the private hospital system and fly business class.

Its my money therefore my choice on how to spend it.

You are confusing the type of agent.  Apparently, there are 2 types; (1) Agent gets your paperwork together and holds your hand while you appear at immigration to have photo taken and present valid financials.  (2) Agent gets around the financial requirements (for a retirement extension) by bribing an Immo official and bank official somewhere.

It's the Type 2 agent (and obliging ex-pat) that most people on the TV Forum scorn for perpetuating the graft system. 

Just say no.

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

they won't close the account with a large balance in. Worth checking T&C's to see what triggers closure, usually it's a low balance

It is around 2,000 Baht, but what actually happens is when the account is low enough they start making an annual service charge which depletes the account to zero over a few years. With a moderate balance, 10,000 is plenty, it never gets closed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TaoNow said:

You are confusing the type of agent.  Apparently, there are 2 types; (1) Agent gets your paperwork together and holds your hand while you appear at immigration to have photo taken and present valid financials.  (2) Agent gets around the financial requirements (for a retirement extension) by bribing an Immo official and bank official somewhere.

It's the Type 2 agent (and obliging ex-pat) that most people on the TV Forum scorn for perpetuating the graft system. 

Just say no.

I am aware of that situation and know of a couple of people who use the type two because they don’t have the level of funds to live here.

Its a difficult situation as they don’t seem to have anywhere to return to and where they would be worse off.

The two I know scrape by with a very meager standard of living but don’t cause any problems.

Live and let Live ??

• Like 1