UK Passport expires soon!

My UK passport expires in a few weeks, I live in Thailand.  I need a renewal but the Britiish embassy are taking 11 weeks. If I fly to UK and do the 1 day speedy renewal, there is a 3-11 week wait for that also.

There is no emergency appointments everytime I check.

If I apply and stay in Thailand, I will get the passport many weeks after the expired one, any help from immigration regarding this?

My Thai visa expires same date as my UK passport,  which is 4 months short of the full year I should have had.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

British Embassy do not issue passport anymore.

You need to apply and submit to VFS  in Trendy building in Bangkok, who process and forward to the UK.

I believe its also possible at VFS office in Chiang Mai.

You could of course do it whilst in the UK.

There have been varying reports on turnaround time.

I suggest you read the similar topics on this within this sub-forum.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AdrianUk said:

My Thai visa expires same date as my UK passport,  which is 4 months short of the full year I should have had.

You would have received the extra 4 months if your pp validity was 12+ months past your previous admitted till date.

You would have been aware of the issue with passport renewal turn around time.

Sadly I don't see an easy solution.

This is not just UK passports.

In Oz last night news item referring to massive blow out in wait for passports.

To be fair obviously New PP different to renewal.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion.

Personally I would be looking at flights to UK..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

You state you live in Thailand. What you need is an extension (of some sort) for 12 months but, failing that, for a minimum of 6 months in order to get your passport renewed. Suggest contacting Visa Agents to obtain quotes. If the quotes are less than your return air fare (assuming you have no other reason to return to UK), then that would appear to be the way to go.

• Confused 1

There's a lesson to be learned here - always plan far ahead when it comes to everything - and I mean everything.

I did a passport renewal last summer and it took several months to complete - which is pathetic but you have to plan for their failure as they often fail.

My father renewed his driving license in the UK and they needed to check something with his Doctor as he had a pacemaker fitted - that simple license renewal took almost a year before it arrived in the post and he applied months before it expired.

Assume the worst and maybe you will be occasionally surprised by prompt service.

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I am actually in a somewhat similar position but I have 10 months to sort it out.

My plan is to apply for renewal 6 months before expiry giving plenty of time for them sort it and hopefully the current HMPO Situation will have improved by then.

Why not apply now and be sure?

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Honest answer is its a 3 day journey both on submission and collection. Not ready for that yet ????

Three days with the option of Bangkok or Chiang Mai? Just askin. ????

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Three days with the option of Bangkok or Chiang Mai? Just askin. ????

That would be bangkok, as I wont drive down there etc.

If Chiang Mai, which I have never used before, then I would be happy to drive over there, still 2 days each time though. Mrs C would prefer CM. she enjoys road trips.????

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

That would be bangkok, as I wont drive down there etc.

If Chiang Mai, which I have never used before, then I would be happy to drive over there, still 2 days each time though. Mrs C would prefer CM. she enjoys road trips.????

Used VFS in Chiang Mai last year no problems and you can make appointment online.

• Thanks 1

This link suggests average of 23 days for renewal...

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/adult-passport-renewal-timeline/

image.png.8830d6a8f449bc4b1da9b85dbe0faec1.png

I renewed my Passport using just the standard postal service in March 2021.  Was super fast - I think I got the new one delivered 8 or 9 days after I posted off the old one - and that included the weekend and easter bank holiday friday & monday.

Edited by ed79

14 hours ago, ed79 said:

This link suggests average of 23 days for renewal...

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/adult-passport-renewal-timeline/

image.png.8830d6a8f449bc4b1da9b85dbe0faec1.png

I renewed my Passport using just the standard postal service in March 2021.  Was super fast - I think I got the new one delivered 8 or 9 days after I posted off the old one - and that included the weekend and easter bank holiday friday & monday.

In Thailand?

Went to BKK vfs last week applying for renewal of child's passport.

Was told to allow 11 weeks but to expect around 6 ( total turn- around time) .

Took them just 3 days to debit my Visa card though ! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mancub said:

Took them just 3 days to debit my Visa card though !

If that is 3 days from applying at VFS, then at least you have the assurance that the application is not sitting in a pile waiting to be looked at.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AdrianUk said:

If I apply and stay in Thailand, I will get the passport many weeks after the expired one, any help from immigration regarding this?

Immigration won't grant an extension on an expired passport, even as a temporary arrangement pending arrival of your new passport.

As others have said, you'll have to go back to MiseryLand and sort it out there. The lengthy times for obtaining a new passport have been in the news for months.

20 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

If that is 3 days from applying at VFS, then at least you have the assurance that the application is not sitting in a pile waiting to be looked at.

Yes....and no issue obtaining the appointment, which also suggested no major delays this end .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In Thailand?

No that's the UK   I was responding to the OPs statement "If I fly to UK and do the 1 day speedy renewal, there is a 3-11 week wait for that also."

I kind of mis-read and thought he was saying it could take up to 11 weeks to renew a passport back in the UK, which was not my experience.

14 minutes ago, ed79 said:

No that's the UK   I was responding to the OPs statement "If I fly to UK and do the 1 day speedy renewal, there is a 3-11 week wait for that also."

I kind of mis-read and thought he was saying it could take up to 11 weeks to renew a passport back in the UK, which was not my experience.

Passport office UK are struggling at the moment mainly because staff are working from home ???? so 11 week wait may not be unrealistic

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I am actually in a somewhat similar position but I have 10 months to sort it out.

My plan is to apply for renewal 6 months before expiry giving plenty of time for them sort it and hopefully the current HMPO Situation will have improved by then.

Why not apply to re-new it NOW to give yourself lots more time.

Unbelievable how these cases keep cropping up.

Surely it is not rocket science.

The OP was granted an 8 month extension on the basis of the validity of his passport. He did NOTHING at that time; now, just weeks before the expiry date he is trying to salvage the situation. Madness and stupidity of his own making.

There is no formal solution within Thailand and returning to the UK is the only legal option available.

However, I do know of people who appear to have stayed in Thailand beyond their passport expiry date. I can only assume that a sizeable payment was made to a local IO to turn a blind eye and later approve a new extension in the new passport.

Not a recommendation but going through the renewal process and lying low for a couple of months, or so, would enable the OP to rock up to his local Immigration office (or try an agent) to plead his case for starting the process afresh.

Whilst the ineptitude of the OP is the sole cause of his predicament that does not excuse the totally unacceptable lack of service from HMPO. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

My plan is to apply for renewal 6 months before expiry giving plenty of time for them sort it????       DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!

• Like 1