Where to live in Thailand, the 51st biggest country in the world

webfact

14 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Wherever you choose to go in Thailand, please don't come to Chiang Mai. It's a horrible place, no bars, very unfriendly people who never smile, terrible climate, no greenery, no nature only traffic, immigration is the worst in the country, no attractions, abysmal medical care, no shopping places, it takes hours just to get the simplest things done, girls are ugly and so are boys and ladyboys whatever your inclination, no decent local food,  no swimming pools, banks are always closed. Every expat that moved here regrets it.

Special for digital nomads, there are no co-working spaces and internet here is mostly done with telnet. A coffee is 500B/hour.

You have been warned.

Sounds great i am now booking a bus, (do you have buses in CM ? )

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mrfill said:

Factually,

Thailand - 513120 sq km

W. Australia - 2527013 sq km

i.e. about 5 times the size

Which is what I said.

I also said the whole of Australia is about 15 times the size of Thailand..

On 6/6/2022 at 6:22 AM, panengfan said:

Anyone know where “Ubon Thai” is - unless it’s “Udon Thani”…

Udon Thani is a Thai regional city.

There's also Ubon Ratchathani, another Thai regional city.

22 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

During 20 years of living in Northern Thailand, I made numerous visits to Chiang Mai and IMO what you have quoted is totally incorrect. Are you referring to Chiang Mai on another planet???? (with respect, I have no intention of entering a verbal "ding dong" on this subject).

Hmmmm…..you Have  difficulty reading between the lines ????????

On 6/6/2022 at 7:16 PM, Tropposurfer said:

Living on the Gulf side did not interest me as the water is nowhere near as clean with the beaches nowhere near as nice as Phuket (sorry Samui????).

Show me a beach in Samui where the water is as filthy or polluted as Patong

Edited by Swimfan

3 hours ago, Stygge said:

Of which 90 % is desert or wasteland

Inaccurate and irrelevant.

(70% of the Australian mainland is classified as semi-arid, arid or desert; making it the driest inhabited continent on Earth)

Please define your version of "wasteland " .  

22 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Inaccurate and irrelevant.

(70% of the Australian mainland is classified as semi-arid, arid or desert; making it the driest inhabited continent on Earth)

Please define your version of "wasteland " .  

I think it´s a matter of definition. Maybe 70 % is the core of the land uninhabitable by humans, which also is my definition of a wasteland. I don´t mean small groups of native population. 90% of the population live in 10 % of the land area. Where you have more very poisonous reptiles than humans.
Where the only viable and useful natural resource is coal which Australia burn and pollute not only Australia but the world.
Which in it´s turn regularly turn big part of the fertile Australia on fire. Which in it´s turn threaten one of the most iconic Australian animals, the Koala, with extinction.

1 hour ago, Stygge said:

I think it´s a matter of definition. Maybe 70 % is the core of the land uninhabitable by humans, which also is my definition of a wasteland. I don´t mean small groups of native population. 90% of the population live in 10 % of the land area. Where you have more very poisonous reptiles than humans.
Where the only viable and useful natural resource is coal which Australia burn and pollute not only Australia but the world.
Which in it´s turn regularly turn big part of the fertile Australia on fire. Which in it´s turn threaten one of the most iconic Australian animals, the Koala, with extinction.

Quite the speech!

You try to get a little bit of everything in there as part of your rebuttal of my statements questioning an article stating the geographical size of Thailand to be massive. Your suggestion that wasteland areas (your version) in Australia shouldn't count when measuring the size of the country, is bizarre.

Would you also deduct desert areas from other countries when considering area? Tibet, Namibia and all in North Africa are just a few I could think of immediately.

Some of your other statements are even more bizarre or perhaps just ignorant.

You consider large parts of Australia  "uninhabitable by humans" and then exclude indigenous people from that description!

You state "where the only viable and useful natural resource is coal" !!! Let me educate you about a few things that you seem to believe you are an expert on..

Coal mines are mainly located in habitated areas of the continent, not the arid areas. I'm not a geologist, but I would surmise that coal is formed from forested area vegetation over millennia.

I have trouble knowing where to start with your ridiculous highlighted words above. I've extracted this from a mining website:

"Australia is one of the world's leading producers of bauxite (aluminum ore), iron ore, lithium, gold, lead, diamond, rare earth elements, uranium, and zinc. Australia also has large mineral sand deposits of ilmenite, zircon and rutile. In addition, Australia produces large quantities of black coal, manganese, antimony, nickel, silver, cobalt, copper and tin."

Most of these industries are in "wasteland" areas, coal is an exception. 

As someone who lived and worked for some time in an Iron ore mining town in what you describe as a wasteland, I can tell you there wasn't a piece of coal within several thousand kilometers. Some of the most beautiful country I've seen are in these arid areas and tourists flock there these days (unfortunately).

In your wastelands, I've stayed on, or travelled through, scores of pastoral leases providing food for the world. The biggest in Australia is larger than Israel. 

This post is long enough I wont start on your attempts to only blame Australia for global warming/climate change.  We are no innocents in this, but it's world wide problem.

If you actually did some research you would know the main extinction threat to the cuddly koala is not bushfires. Why do the naïve only talk about the cute animals?

Australia has had mass extinctions of wildlife ever since the British invaded, colonized, plundered and murdered much of the local population. Their introduced toxic animals thrived, and remain a major threat to native wildlife to this day! 

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Quite the speech!

You try to get a little bit of everything in there as part of your rebuttal of my statements questioning an article stating the geographical size of Thailand to be massive. Your suggestion that wasteland areas (your version) in Australia shouldn't count when measuring the size of the country, is bizarre.

Would you also deduct desert areas from other countries when considering area? Tibet, Namibia and all in North Africa are just a few I could think of immediately.

Some of your other statements are even more bizarre or perhaps just ignorant.

You consider large parts of Australia  "uninhabitable by humans" and then exclude indigenous people from that description!

You state "where the only viable and useful natural resource is coal" !!! Let me educate you about a few things that you seem to believe you are an expert on..

Coal mines are mainly located in habitated areas of the continent, not the arid areas. I'm not a geologist, but I would surmise that coal is formed from forested area vegetation over millennia.

I have trouble knowing where to start with your ridiculous highlighted words above. I've extracted this from a mining website:

"Australia is one of the world's leading producers of bauxite (aluminum ore), iron ore, lithium, gold, lead, diamond, rare earth elements, uranium, and zinc. Australia also has large mineral sand deposits of ilmenite, zircon and rutile. In addition, Australia produces large quantities of black coal, manganese, antimony, nickel, silver, cobalt, copper and tin."

Most of these industries are in "wasteland" areas, coal is an exception. 

As someone who lived and worked for some time in an Iron ore mining town in what you describe as a wasteland, I can tell you there wasn't a piece of coal within several thousand kilometers. Some of the most beautiful country I've seen are in these arid areas and tourists flock there these days (unfortunately).

In your wastelands, I've stayed on, or travelled through, scores of pastoral leases providing food for the world. The biggest in Australia is larger than Israel. 

This post is long enough I wont start on your attempts to only blame Australia for global warming/climate change.  We are no innocents in this, but it's world wide problem.

If you actually did some research you would know the main extinction threat to the cuddly koala is not bushfires. Why do the naïve only talk about the cute animals?

Australia has had mass extinctions of wildlife ever since the British invaded, colonized, plundered and murdered much of the local population. Their introduced toxic animals thrived, and remain a major threat to native wildlife to this day! 

Ok, poked the hornets nest I can see.
Of course you are mainly right, and I like Australia, especially since you decided to stop being the chinese door mat.
I try to simplify. You elaborate.
And simply; of course the entire landmass of Australia belongs to Australia and counts.
But it´s like a small dog hiding  in a big dogs doghouse. Looks impressive from the outside until you hear the shrill bark and the echo it makes in the oversized doghouse..
And even if the Koala disappears there is comfort in knowing that recently imported cane toads and rabbits thrive.