Bangkok celebrates first ‘Pride Month’ with newly elected governor

webfact

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So much hostility and bigotry here towards LGBT people.

Personally I think many of us have no problems with gays, lesbians, ladyboys, Toms, and others.

For many of us they are just people like you and me. If I buy a coffee I don't care if the person behind the counter is straight or any variation of above. It doesn't matter.

The situation becomes more complicated when certain people want to make a big drama out of this. Do people who run around like this really think they win friends?

Acceptance is one thing, getting it thrown into our faces all the time is something entirely different. 

27838940261_3b6598115c_b.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think many of us have no problems with gays, lesbians, ladyboys, Toms, and others.

For many of us they are just people like you and me. If I buy a coffee I don't care if the person behind the counter is straight or any variation of above. It doesn't matter.

The situation becomes more complicated when certain people want to make a big drama out of this. Do people who run around like this really think they win friends?

Acceptance is one thing, getting it thrown into our faces all the time is something entirely different. 

It is odd....and I am guilty of this........that certain ways of dressing can provoke such strong reactions.

I 'hate' (not really) people who wear baseball caps back to front (especially when it is sunny).......and any form of headwear in a restaurant....so a baseball cap, worn back to front in a restaurant on a sunny day is like a red rag to a bull......ridiculous.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So much hostility and bigotry here towards LGBT people.

I read primarily of support for the main issues, right to marriage, end to discrimination etc...

I also see that that vast majority of people do not care if someone else is gay, lesbian, trans etc... just get on with life....  respectful indifference... 

There is also an underlying irritation towards the ‘acting and showmanship’ (or should that be showpersonship), pro-nouns and how people identify, which can be a minefield and many end up held ‘morally hostage’ by those who exist to seek outrage and affront...

Then we sometimes see sexuality becoming someones persona which gets ridiculous. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about if I only like sex with pretty girls. Is that good enough these days? Or should I be ashamed that I have such a limited desire? 

If you look within you will likely find other reasons for shame.

Remember the time Mom caught you with the Playboy mag in the bathroom?

????

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

If you look within you will likely find other reasons for shame.

Remember the time Mom caught you with the Playboy mag in the bathroom?

????

Oh don't tell me you were the peeping Tom ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, I was going to write ask the same question.

Maybe at some stage someone should add M and F to that list to include those people who still think they are just Male or Female. You know, it should be all inclusive.

And for everybody who wants to learn more I can highly recommend this documentary:

Or straight?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Many LGBTQ+ activists also joined the march and took theopportunity to demand basic rights for the LGBTQ+ community, such as same-sex marriage, an end to sexual harassment and the decriminalisation of sex workers.

Each to their own , I am a member of the AAFBILLB's group

1 hour ago, Lancelot01 said:

Or straight?

When you think about it... Isn’t straight offensive ???... as in, ‘bent’ means not normal and the connections that homosexuals are not normal members of society ?????

Perhaps some of these marches etc need to make us all aware of the potentially offensive sleights we are completely un-aware of... 

That said, some do ridiculously over react at the slightest of sleights - I recall telling a poster on this forum to ‘don’t be such a princess’....(or something similar)  given the context of dramatically over reacting to something....   I’d have written that anyone, male or female, I was then accused of being homophobic as the ‘gay card’ was played to attempt score a ‘win’ in whatever debate it was we were having at the time. 

These issues don’t need to be a mine field...  but some subjects are like cat-nip to those who love to display outrage and well, act out like a spoiled princess !!! 

Good on the new Bangkok governor for reaching out to an important marginalized minority community. Its both good politics and the right thing to do. When you look at this internationally its repressive countries like Russia, Iran, and Turkiye that ban these events. Its interesting that Ukraine was getting more LGBT friendly and that's been used by war criminal Putin to insult them. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, honcho said:

why do this lot get a whole month? mothers get a day.. fathers get a day... women get a day... yet this minority get a month!!! not fair, inclusive or equitable...

These Pride events started in the US in the 70s. Parades are one day. The rest of it is about cultural events, the arts, etc.

A similar model to Black History month.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, honcho said:

why do this lot get a whole month? mothers get a day.. fathers get a day... women get a day... yet this minority get a month!!! not fair, inclusive or equitable...

The politics of resentment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The last thing Thailand  needs is the toxic  identitarian  politics of the USA. 'Pride' is corporate whitewash

The last thing Thailand needs is reactionary, right wing, anti LGBT politics. Decent countries have these events. Repressive ones do not. I see you've  picked a side.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't go these events then.

I agree those guys are silly but they are having fun and expressing themselves, so so what?

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

A whole month.

That's pushing it a bit, eh?

Even the birth of christ only gets a day. Lol.

They couldn't have just gone with Pride Day or Pride Week?

Its traditional.

You know perfectly well that the Christmas season lasts for months.

I'm not Christian and I'm not complaining about that.

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think it concerns all of us when they bring children into it.

Maybe it is just my YouTube feed but recently I see enough strange videos and also news about crazy regulations for little kids. Like they talk in the school with young children if they don't want to be something different than just male of female. And it seems those woke activist are not happy if a kid is not interested in all of that. Like: here, look, you could be non-binary and everybody has to call you they, come on, take it, you know you want it...

Fear mongering trope. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, 2009 said:

I think most straight white males don't get it, cos we can't say stuff like that.

You've got: Gay Pride, Black Pride, Girl Power etc etc 

But try saying anything, like White Pride or Male Power and the far left extremists will devour you.

It's is really interesting and ironic how fascist the left has become.

You could have a White Power.event if you want. Like in Charlottesville. But LGBT represent marginalized communities. They are not equivalent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

I actually happened to be at that parade; it was quite entertaining. They had a few cool vintage cars.

But there was a segment of the parade with some of them dressed inappropriately for public (you could distinctly see penis through the stockings cos they were that tight, thin, and see through) 

And they were carrying signs saying, "Sex Work Is Work" -- which I thought was a bit tasteless, considering there were families there with children (I mean it was broad daylight on a main road).

Most segments of the parade were some form of protest though (about marriage laws n adoption, stuff like that), so not exactly joyful.

There was one segment of the parade with angry ladyboys aggressively telling the spectators, "My body is my choice".

And another part was full of signs telling the spectators about their children, example "Don't assume your child is straight" 

Anyway, it's their parade.

I was hoping to see some joyful gay celebration, but much of it was just a protest about laws, and also quite a bit of X-rated-ness. And of course, bringing " your kids" into the equation.

These events started as political.events in response to Stonewall as this is about marginalized communities. Of course in.cities like Amsterdam now its mostly a big party. I think perhaps that you don't know the origins and history. I do because I was there in the early years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Fear mongering trope. 

I wish. But look at reality. There are more and more incidents with crazy people in schools who influence the kids to extremes - at least in North America.

And anybody who is opposed to this nonsense is declared a homophobic or worse.

If you think it doesn't exist just google it. 

• Like 1