Foreigner in serious condition after crashing big racing bike on corner in Pattaya area

webfact

3 hours ago, Excel said:

The more you post claiming what the road was like prior to the accident when you have no knowledge of it, the more you sound somewhat departed from actuality in assuming what you think is factual But carry on making yourself look foolish.

From that perspective you have no knowledge that it wasn’t snowing because you have no knowledge that it wasn’t....   of course thats a daft and extreme example of your statement... 

Now.... 

- All of the road in the photography is bone dry....

- There is no water in any of the photos.

- The injured rider is still being treated on the ground

- The photo was taken within minutes of the incident (in time it takes for aid to get there)

Do you think there was sufficient pooled water that caused a motorcycle to aquaplane ?

You think the road dried up that quickly ????

Who’s looking foolish ???

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It's got a blue tank and a white lower fairing. One pic is from the top (with the bike facing left) and one from the bottom (with the bike facing right).

It would have looked like this before it cartwheeled down the road.

image.png.6ec6c52e37468408139bd3b302ec33e9.png

Fair enough. I have never been into big bikes. A couple of Honda CX500 in the 1980s, a Yamaha 550 shaft drive and a Honda CB400 here in Thailand. The CB scared me enough to take care and be careful with it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From that perspective you have no knowledge that it wasn’t snowing because you have no knowledge that it wasn’t....   of course thats a daft and extreme example of your statement... 

Now.... 

- All of the road in the photography is bone dry....

- There is no water in any of the photos.

- The injured rider is still being treated on the ground

- The photo was taken within minutes of the incident (in time it takes for aid to get there)

Do you think there was sufficient pooled water that caused a motorcycle to aquaplane ?

You think the road dried up that quickly ????

Who’s looking foolish ???

"The photo was taken within minutes of the incident (in time it takes for aid to get there)"

Another guess on your part. Show me the time stamp on the photo to support that. statement

• Haha 1

Driving a bike at excessive speed here is an invitation for trouble. Ask yourself one thing. Is my life already complicated enough, without a serious bike accident? Darwin insisted that some species and some members of those species were more fit for survival than others. It would appear the roads here, and especially many motorbike riders, are a perfect example of his theories in action. 

It takes certain qualities to survive on the roads here. Patience, being very conscious of your surroundings, driving defensively, avoiding excessive speed, especially in town, following basic traffic rules and laws and avoiding being overly stupid, at all times. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It takes certain qualities to survive on the roads here. Patience, being very conscious of your surroundings, driving defensively, avoiding excessive speed, especially in town, following basic traffic rules and laws and avoiding being overly stupid, at all times. 

So true, but unfortunately, that doesn't account for all the other fools on the road doing the wrong thing, who could wipe you out at any time. 

• Like 2

Air pressure, not tires.......

The key is to really do a few burnouts and get some lava-like heat going.

Get it up to about 250 kph and just breathe.  I can ride blindfolded; just keep your chin up and hips directed out of the turn.   really easy at higher speeds.   350 kph can get sketchy in BKK after 3 a.m., but you have five senses.....use them!!!    Remember, the bike wants to eat that turn up...don't fight it.    Braking is never recommended, only for beginners.   

5 hours ago, Excel said:

"The photo was taken within minutes of the incident (in time it takes for aid to get there)"

Another guess on your part. Show me the time stamp on the photo to support that. statement

You’re being utterly ridiculous and obtuse....  

Do you think it took more than an hour for the ambulance to arrive and depart ?

The ambulance would have arrived within minutes, the photo was taken while they were stabilising the motorcyclist....    

A fair assumption that the photo was taken within about 15-30 minutes of the accident - it certainly wasn’t hours... so yes.. ‘minutes’....

Not a lot of time for a wet road to dry. Not a road wet enough that tyre tread would have made a difference.

You mentioned it ‘could’ have been a spill from an ice truck... that’d take a lot of water, it could have been a dog or someone crossing without looking.... 

But more likely it was someone outriding the bike, the road and their ability and nothing to do with tyre tread. 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 6/7/2022 at 1:09 AM, Excel said:

Perhaps some comments are sad and cynical to someone who condones riding a bike with bald tyres, or perhaps do it themselves, but  to those of us with more common sense it is utter foolishness.

I never said i condoned it,i commented on the lack of empathy after the event.

How do you know they were bald?,and not a special type of tyre?

On 6/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, StevieAus said:

I am not sure if having a valid Thai motor cycle licence would make any difference, considering how easily they are obtained.

Take yourself along to a DLT office when they are conducting the testing and see the farce in action, the testing for the car licence is no better.

Many Thais have been riding since they were 10 years old. The problem is tourists turn up here and have never ridden a motorboke before. And they do this is a foriegn country, often driving on a different sode of the road. It's just asking for trouble. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Many Thais have been riding since they were 10 years old.

Do you know the road death statistics here, per year, which is mostly comprised of Thai's that have been riding since they were 10 years old?  

It's a national disgrace. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

Many Thais have been riding since they were 10 years old. The problem is tourists turn up here and have never ridden a motorboke before. And they do this is a foriegn country, often driving on a different sode of the road. It's just asking for trouble. 

You mean on the correct side of the road, confusing the locals?