Thailand’s overrated beaches

Nemises

8 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Not an issue at all as topic is about Thailand’s overrated beaches.

Looking forward to your thread on “lovely hillside streams”. Can’t wait. 

Hell no ... you'll rarely see me recommend any place I like, that I think will then be visited by tourist, and ruined.  After 20+ years, I've seen my 'recommendation' either go down hill, or not available afterwards.   Keep the good stuff to myself.

With that ... slight edit needed.

If holidaying 'off season', don't expect expect peak season pristine conditions.  That uncommon common sense again.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

When I first arrived in Pattaya, over 20 years ago, I would rent a CBR900 and ride down to the beach along this road. 

The view of the beach never gets old. 

I bet there's a few members out there that have ridden the Songtaews down the same road coming into Pattaya

I'm too gutless to ride motorbikes let alone something as crazy as a CBR900. but I did recognise what I've dubbed "Hell Corner" as soon as you got near it. 

yes, done the songthaew down that route many times and have walked it a few times too. but on the footpath not the road like that crazy fool you passed when rounding the bend ????

19 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Australian beaches are of course better as a whole. But this beach is big wide and has clean water with forest all around. I could of course find a bigger better one in Australia but would have to go to far North Queensland to get this weather. For the price of the hotel here I wouldn’t get a small shocker on the freeway in Australia. Even if I paid four times It wouldn’t be as nice with the Thai touches.A0293FC9-F74D-4A73-83C6-C603627BB3DA.thumb.jpeg.904a5cf4f637f479807760c0662d01bb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a8754f11bedcb646c1e9b1115e8107dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94d2c81eec5cb37e970c2bdf8d0013db.jpeg

2A8D8430-9F7B-404C-ADA4-3BD6C2F311F2.jpeg

Aussie beaches are bloody grouse mate!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If holidaying 'off season', don't expect expect peak season pristine conditions.  That uncommon common sense again.

Haha. Yes! That lengthy season of “pristine” conditions. Blink and you’ll miss it. 

31 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Haha. Yes! That lengthy season of “pristine” conditions. Blink and you’ll miss it. 

It's a good 6 months, if not more, on Phuket (Oct - May), as I've been there at the extreme ends of, and quite nice.  During covid, went a few times, during high season, and amazingly nice, and I'm hard to impress.

During covid only, as way too crowded Oct & May for us, pre-covid, and why we avoided the past 10 ish years.   We were sometimes the only people on the beach, pristine, or maybe 10 people, for a busy day, 2020/21.

Other times, past 12 ish year, stayed with Gulf beaches, and yes, a level or 10 below pristine Andaman Sea, but trade off, very few tourist.  And I'm not talking Hua Hin, Samui or Patts, as you couldn't give me free accommodations to holiday there.

Gulf surf is iffy at best, about going in.  Ban Krut & Thung Wua Laen have been consistently good though.  Thankfully not the easiest to access without own transport, so fairly tourist free.

Local beach, just OK, midweek, < 8 kms away.  If surf not cooperating, nice just to chill in the shade.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Nonsense, you need to get out more.

Didnt your mother tell you that if you dont know you should keep your mouth shut? Better to be thought a fool and remain silent than speak and remove all doubt. 

You know zero about where I have travelled  on what i base my comparisons or indeed my life in Thailand champ. Only lived here 22 years so i can speak to my opinion on its beaches. If you dont agree good luck to you thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

The keyword here is overrated

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's a good 6 months, if not more, on Phuket (Oct - May),

“Good” thru to May in Phuket?

Obviously the word “good” is subjective.

Here’s me in Phuket in March just gone (see date stamp). For me it was far from “good”. Did a lap of the hot beach, a hot swim in the shallow water then out to somewhere more comfortable. Under the tree was good! - for about 20 minutes anyway 

B018076C-8621-4E72-B7D1-5349DBF3961B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

“Good” thru to May in Phuket?
Obviously the word “good” is subjective.

10 years running, and school breaks were Sept-mid Oct & Mar, Apri, mid May.  We went to Phuket every year during both breaks, and we were in the surf and never a problem and quite nice.

Our experiences anyway.  Better during high season of course.   Wouldn't recommend late May to Sept, as hear, read, it's a bit rough.  Never an option, due to school.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

Didnt your mother tell you that if you dont know you should keep your mouth shut? Better to be thought a fool and remain silent than speak and remove all doubt. 

You know zero about where I have travelled  on what i base my comparisons or indeed my life in Thailand champ. Only lived here 22 years so i can speak to my opinion on its beaches. If you dont agree good luck to you thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

The keyword here is overrated

Didn't have you down as the sensitive type, oh well.

• Sad 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:14 PM, SpaceKadet said:

"...stand up to take a snake’s hiss..."

What is a snake's hiss in this context? Never heard this expression and Google didn't help either.

Or is it some cockney rhyming slang?

The cockney rhyming slang for this activity is "Gypsy's Kiss"

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm too gutless to ride motorbikes let alone something as crazy as a CBR900. but I did recognise what I've dubbed "Hell Corner" as soon as you got near it. 

yes, done the songthaew down that route many times and have walked it a few times too. but on the footpath not the road like that crazy fool you passed when rounding the bend ????

That video was recorded early morning, lots of people exercising and not too much traffic.

The guy jogging on the bend appeared to be in an unsafe place but he was quite safe, there was only myself and a couple of small motorbikes on the road.

I ride my bicycle nearly every morning, alternating between Pattaya Beach and Jomtien Beach roads. It's so good to see people exercising, they're always replying with a good morning when I give them a g'day. 

15 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

What resort?

Got 8 nights to go. One of the bigger ones on White Sand Beach. I think the op doesn’t realise that when you come from a cold country the water is perfect and the beaches are tropical and nice. If there was an overrated beach it was Patong, which is actually a nice beach, but add ten million chairs when I was there, lots of plastic, caked together sand from fuel from jet skis and speed boats, having to swim in cordoned off areas, worrrying you’ll have a parasail land on your head, and sewers near the beach, and it’s not good. Saw pictures since and seems better.  Koh Chang and other places ain’t that.

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Got 8 nights to go. One of the bigger ones on White Sand Beach. I think the op doesn’t realise that when you come from a cold country the water is perfect and the beaches are tropical and nice. If there was an overrated beach it was Patong, which is actually a nice beach, but add ten million chairs when I was there, lots of plastic, caked together sand from fuel from jet skis and speed boats, having to swim in cordoned off areas, worrrying you’ll have a parasail land on your head, and sewers near the beach, and it’s not good. Saw pictures since and seems better.  Koh Chang and other places ain’t that.

Been to Koh Chang! Nice, peaceful island. 

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Terrible place. Dirty, over priced. Rubbish beaches.

Dont go

I had free accommodation and was there last year with no tourists, so it was fine… with clean beaches. Can imagine that not being the case during “normal times” though. 

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That video was recorded early morning, lots of people exercising and not too much traffic.

The guy jogging on the bend appeared to be in an unsafe place but he was quite safe, there was only myself and a couple of small motorbikes on the road.

I ride my bicycle nearly every morning, alternating between Pattaya Beach and Jomtien Beach roads. It's so good to see people exercising, they're always replying with a good morning when I give them a g'day. 

I went for a couple of nice early morning walks when I first went back to Pattaya in December last year. nice and cool and quiet and the beach looked very nice despite what the moaners say about it. 

but then I quickly got back into my routine of stay out until 3am and sleep all day so that was the end of my Pattaya sunrise adventures ????

• Haha 1

Thailand does have some nice beaches, especially on the Andaman coast. But, to consider them, or describe them as world class, is a gross over estimation of the place. You want world class beaches?

Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Can't decide whether you want white- or pink-sand beaches? ...

Dreamland Beach, Bali. ...
Menjangan Island, Bali
Gili Islands, Lombok
Raja Ampat, West Papua
 Busuanga Island, Philippines 
Seagrass Bay, Laucala Island, Fiji
Ypao Beach, Tumon Guam
 Honopu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
Maipio Valley Beach, Big Island, Hawaii
Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. ...
Harbour Island, Bahamas. ...
Blue Beach (La Chiva), Vieques, Puerto Rico. ...
Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI.
Devil’s Bay, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas
Palm Beach, Aruba
San Blas, Panama
Oludeniz, Turkey
Porto Katsiki, Lefkada, Greece

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does have some nice beaches, especially on the Andaman coast. But, to consider them, or describe them as world class, is a gross over estimation of the place. You want world class beaches?

Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Can't decide whether you want white- or pink-sand beaches? ...

Dreamland Beach, Bali. ...
Menjangan Island, Bali
Gili Islands, Lombok
Raja Ampat, West Papua
 Busuanga Island, Philippines 
Seagrass Bay, Laucala Island, Fiji
Ypao Beach, Tumon Guam
 Honopu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
Maipio Valley Beach, Big Island, Hawaii
Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. ...
Harbour Island, Bahamas. ...
Blue Beach (La Chiva), Vieques, Puerto Rico. ...
Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI.
Devil’s Bay, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas
Palm Beach, Aruba
San Blas, Panama
Oludeniz, Turkey
Porto Katsiki, Lefkada, Greece

Well I'll go for Seagrass Bay any day but even years since I have been there but after saying that it is not the fact that Thailand is not the only country with some lovely beaches, it is just that it is one of those countries where lack of controls has allowed some of it's previously nice beaches to be ruined by visitors/tourists and the ragamuffin collection of vendors who think its the done thing to put their daily waste into plastic bags and just leave it there for others to remove.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

True that. As high as the level of national pride is here, you would somehow think that would translate to taking care of the land, the beaches, and the water. How many promises have we heard from the goons, about cleaning the place up? This current administration is infamous for pledges, declarations, proclamations and promises. Few are even remembered, much less followed up upon two weeks later. Feel free to cite some environmental promises that were followed up on, if you can. Why such a staggering level of incompetence and indifference toward their land, water and the common man?

You are right but I think simply it is the irresponsible culture instilled into them of don't be responsible for your own actions as there will always be someone or something else to blame.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

You are right but I think simply it is the irresponsible culture instilled into them of don't be responsible for your own actions as there will always be someone or something else to blame.

Could be. And also could be the inability to envision tomorrow, or the distant future, and what it will look like, combined with a refusal to take personal responsibility for one's actions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I went for a couple of nice early morning walks when I first went back to Pattaya in December last year. nice and cool and quiet and the beach looked very nice despite what the moaners say about it. 

but then I quickly got back into my routine of stay out until 3am and sleep all day so that was the end of my Pattaya sunrise adventures ????

Yes, it's difficult to kick the 'stay out until 3am' habit.

I only go out occasionally now, when friends come to town. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Before I was so 'worldly', I thought Hawaii (HNL- north shore) & S. FL were amazing (80s).  Coming from Philly, PA metro, NJ shores, DE / Rehoboth, that's easy to understand.

Then I got dive certified, and discovered, FL Keys, Cozumel, Bahamas, Caymans, Puerto Rico, St Martin (90s), and that was my playground for about a decade, before coming here.

Only coming to Thailand for a dive trip (Phuket & PP), and was a bit disappointed.  Nice, but WC - NO.  TBH, did little research (none) beforehand.  As stated elsewhere, it was  fluke coming here.  If not having weeks of timeshare to burn & worked for airlines, then now way.

Only knew about cheap women & suits that co-workers told me about, and really had no interest in coming here for either.  Not sure they actually believed in the suit thingy, just what they told their wives, as I was never impressed, and hope they really didn't think those rags were quality.

Although, revisiting those places, images online, I don't recognize any of them any more.  30 yrs of 'development' hasn't been kind anywhere.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

cheers, you seem to be a beach expert if you think that this is a nice beach...

at the same time people who know where and what are some of the nicest beaches in the world here, are happy that you remain on yours !