European Parliament votes to ban combustion engine cars from 2035

onthedarkside

Screenshot_5.jpg.9842c06fae5ff12390b67c819e2f818f.jpg

Lawmakers in the European Parliament plenary voted Wednesday to mandate that all new car and van sales should be zero emissions from 2035 as part of efforts to clean up road transport.

Lawmakers backed the final report on revised vehicle CO2 emission standards legislation with 339 in favor, 249 against and with 24 abstentions.

The legislation is a key part of the Fit for 55 package and mandates that carmakers should reduce their fleetwide emission averages by 100 percent from 2035, with interim steps in 2025 and 2030. Parliament's position maintains the Commission's original 2035 phaseout date.

The final legal text now needs to be worked out in talks with the Council. Environment ministers are set to sign off on their version of the legislation at a summit in Luxembourg on June 28.

(more)

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-parliament-votes-to-ban-combustion-engine-cars-from-2035/

Politico.jpg.6105d3830c866c550e1383ddc31367a8.jpg

It would require more than doubling electricity production capacity, either nuclear or gas (welcome Russia), at the same time in all European countries, install charging devices everywhere, and being able to avoid chaos during main holiday travel peaks. I am not sure it is realistic... 13 years is a very short-term for infrastructure issues.

16 hours ago, candide said:

It would require more than doubling electricity production capacity, either nuclear or gas (welcome Russia), at the same time in all European countries, install charging devices everywhere, and being able to avoid chaos during main holiday travel peaks. I am not sure it is realistic... 13 years is a very short-term for infrastructure issues.

Electricity Grids Can Handle Electric Vehicles Easily – They Just Need Proper Management

One of the most frequent concerns you will see from electric vehicle haters is that the electricity grid can’t possibly cope with all cars becoming EVs. However, they haven’t done the math properly. The grids in most developed nations will be just fine, so long as the demand is properly management.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmorris/2021/11/13/electricity-grids-can-handle-electric-vehicles-easily--they-just-need-proper-management/?sh=3ee626c97862

I want to stress that I'm not characterizing you as a "hater". The author of the piece has a certain class of objectors in mind.

Anyway, there won't be a need anywhere near doubling the capacity of the grid.

Edited by placeholder