Has Thailand struck jackpot in latest bid to combat lottery overpricing?

webfact

image.jpeg

The government’s latest bid to combat chronic lottery overpricing saw over 5 million digital tickets sell out in just five days via the “Pao Tang” mobile application last week. 

The Government Lottery Office (GLO) adopted the online channel after all other measures to prevent black-market hiking of the official 80-baht ticket price failed.

Those who bought digital lottery tickets through the app voiced satisfaction that they could do it in a few easy steps, choosing their preferred numbers and even buying tickets with identical numbers at “only” 80 baht each — a price considered a bargain for regular lottery gamblers.

Sales via the Pao Tang app launched on June 2 for the lottery draw on June 16, with a total of 5.17 million tickets offered in the new e-marketplace provided by the GLO, according to Tipanan Sirichana, spokesperson for the government committee tasked with tackling lottery overpricing.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/has-thailand-struck-jackpot-in-latest-bid-to-combat-lottery-overpricing/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Those who bought digital lottery tickets through the app voiced satisfaction that they could do it in a few easy steps, choosing their preferred numbers and even buying tickets with identical numbers at “only” 80 baht each — a price considered a bargain for regular lottery gamblers.

Go digital 100%... cut out the gougers who've been fleecing the nation for years.

• Thanks 1

It seems that in my area the local tickets have gone up in price since they started on line sales.  I guess to make up for lost sales.

That said the underground lottery doesn't overcharge.  They will however reduce the payout for certain numbers or stop selling those numbers if too many people are buying them.  Much like sport gambling will adjust the odds payout if too many are betting a certain way.  Their goal is to spread the bets out evenly to make sure they make their margin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Go digital 100%... cut out the gougers who've been fleecing the nation for years.

Absolutely correct, everyone here has a mobile phone, on-line monies go straight into the account, immediately, zero losses, this is a win-win situation for everyone apart from the current distributors of physical numbers. Imagine paying extra online for a “lucky number”, the mind boggles.

• Like 1

I'm not finding anything that corresponds to this in the Google Play Store. I can see a "Paotang" app but unless I'm missing something, it's the online banking app for the Krung Thai Bank and wouldn't appear to involve lottery tickets.

Anyone know what the actual app is or how to find it?

I've been able to answer my own question. An article from "the source that may not be quoted" makes it clear that it is indeed the Krung Thai Bank app that is being used for online lottery ticket sales.

So I guess you can use the app even if you don't have a Krung Thai account? Otherwise it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Although, TIT.

13 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Krung Thai Bank app that is being used for online lottery ticket sales.

I wonder why there isn't the option for buying online tickets off the Goverment Lottery Website ? Strange.

From what I understand many thais sell tickets in every town.A little bit extra on top of the price for them and thais accept that as the person goes to them.My friend in cnx always brought from the same person and brought many,never won as far as I know.Having a app  and set price don,t know if everyone will be happy about that

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I think that is harsh.... so many lottery ticket sellers are disabled, elderly, or very poor. 

I bet they are squeezed by middle men too......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I think that is harsh.... so many lottery ticket sellers are disabled, elderly, or very poor. 

I bet they are squeezed by middle men too......

I'm not against the poor/disabled street sellers.

I'm against the middlemen who receive tickets from the government and then put their park-up on the price to the sellers.

Also against whoever sorts out the tickets ie "lucky numbers' or sets of same numbers and sells them at a premium.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

How do you digitalise a police force?

Grand Theft Auto?

More seriously how much time is spent on on traffic enforcement and how much on financing the police. I've only seen one food delivery rider without a helmet so maybe outsource to a Grab, Food panda ect joint venture. 

As for lottery tickets online sales would seem obvious but it will take some employment away from poorer people but will have less affect on the richer middlemen unfortunately. 

On 6/11/2022 at 7:35 PM, NE1 said:

I'd be interested to know what it looks like.

if you open the KTB app, then press the ( + ) button..: you’ll see a list of other KTB services open up, it’s there -  GLO.

add it from that menu then tap save.

It will appear on your home screen when you launch the app.

• Like 1