Renew Marriage Extension of Stay with a Passport from a different Country

A friend of mine is staying in Thailand on a Canadian Passport with a permission to stay based on marriage active until November 2022.

Unfortunately his Passport expires April 2023, so, my understanding is that he would only be given a new permission to stay until that date.

He is not expecting to travel back to Canada until near the expiry date of his passport, while obtaining a new Canadian passport does not appear to be exactly easy for someone living in the North East of Thailand.  To obtain a new passport while he is in Canada is a fairly painless & quick process.

He has held a UK Passport & is still entitled to  one now, although his current one is expired. 

A new UK Passport is fairly painless to obtain via an agent.

So, the question is...

Could be turn up at Udon Thani Immigration in November & extend his Marriage permission to stay for another 12 months by presenting a new UK Passport??

I've been all though this (Australian & UK PPs) unless there has been a change since my experience then no because Thailand doesn't recognize dual nationalities/dual PPs. So you can't change horses mid steam. What one can do is exit Thailand on whatever PP one is in on, then re-enter with the other. I tried doing it into Malaysia down at Sadao and that wouldn't work because the Malaysians would only stamp me into Malaysia on the PP I was in Thailand with, so I couldn't switch PPs at the border. You can however fly out of Thailand and enter another country on a different PP then fly back into Thailand on that PP, so the switch has been done OK. But your friend won't be able to rock up at Udon Thani Imm and present a different nationality PP. 

I assume your pal lives near Udon so in which case I would suggest he calls in to ask them that very same question asap because they are the only people who can give a definitive answer. Note it is taking up to 2 months to get a renewed UK passport so best he acts sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

He can NOT change passports. His Visa and previous extensions are all registered to ONE passport - either UK or Canada - and that is the one needed for the extension.

Furthermore, also his marriage is registered in the Amphoe with this passport.

• Like 1

He definitely won't be able to obtain a new marriage extension in a British passport, and you are correct in believing that with his existing Canadian passport he would only be granted a new extension up until the passport's expiry date.

In any case I don't know where you've got the idea that a new British passport is fairly painless to obtain from. Even with an agent's assistance it is a tediously cumbersome and excessively bureaucratic process.

He has no choice other than applying for a new Canadian passport or leaving the country using his Canadian passport or reentering using his UK passport to start all over again with a new non-o visa and then a new extension of stay.

Info is here about getting a new passport on the embassy website. https://www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/thailand-thailande/bangkok-info.aspx?lang=eng#PS

• Like 1

Hi best option I believe, is to renew his Canadian passport, even if this entails a trip to the Embassy in Bangkok.

When I renewed my British passport a couple of years ago, the immigration office at Hua Hin carefully replicated my marriage visa stamp and all other stamps into my new passport.

I am sure the same will apply with his Canadian passport, and as others have said, you can’t transfer to a passport from another country. He is a Canadian on a Canadian passport as far as Thai immigration is concerned.

If your pal is in any event planning a trip back to Canada before his existing passport expires, his best bet might be to exit Thailand at that stage without a re-entry permit and then get a new passport and single-entry non-O visa for marriage sorted in Canada before hitting the extension of stay trail again 90 days after his return to Thailand.

Why not renew the passport within Thailand at the Canadian embassy/consulate?   Yea, it probably means making an appt and a trip within Thailand to the embassy/consulate, but I think that beats making a trip to Canada.