Thailand on 170,000 baht a month

LaosLover

Wha? Where am I?

Is this a thread about Burmese women? I donn' unnnerstannn'.

Or do I? Not unnnerstann'ing is my self presentation to the world. I hope it's passing for piercing wit.

My attitude is that I am grateful for falling into dumb-posterior luck with a hot housing property and ready to live some version of the high life to whatever level I can. And looking for a little advice, or at least humous you-know-what-taking.

Not the usual bitterness of jaded skinflints.

Would def like to hear about the incremental diffs between 170, 200, and 250.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 2

Let's say it like this: It should be enough. 

But it's not that it's impossible to spend all that money and it's certainly not impossible to make (huge) mistakes and/or get into trouble.

If you plan to come to Thailand for a long time then I suggest you should get a professional personal assistant or something like that. Professional! Not just anybody.

Such a person could help you to find all those other people. And they could do it in a way that you get quality (teacher, driver, etc.) for a reasonable amount of money.

Otherwise you will likely pay too much for substandard service.

Thailand is a wonderful country to live in. And lots of people give you lots of options to spend more than you ever dreamed about.

Enjoy! And be careful.

• Thanks 2

Me and my missus manage to get by on 250,000 baht a month excluding stuff like visa's, medical insurance, vacations, education and extraneous purchases which comes out of a separate pot.

I wouldn't like to try it on anything less. ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you plan to come to Thailand for a long time then I suggest you should get a professional personal assistant or something like that. Professional! Not just anybody.

Such a person could help you to find all those other people. And they could do it in a way that you get quality (teacher, driver, etc.) for a reasonable amount of money.

Otherwise you will likely pay too much for substandard service.

Thailand is a wonderful country to live in. And lots of people give you lots of options to spend more than you ever dreamed about.

Enjoy! And be careful.

How would I find such a person?

If I have more money than 98% of the people here, then how am I financially inept and what does that make them? Sheesh, indeed.

I got no diss for someone on 30K in Issan; they're like gods to me and I have learned a lot from reading their stories.

The idea of a farang assistant/concierge is new to me. And seems fraught with potential for fraud. I'm guessing you will be long on sullen resentment and short on actual advice.

• Sad 1

i don't think you'll have a problem finding a decent, somewhat regular driver.  once you are settled in your place, try using grab, bolt, and regular taxis.  after a month or so, you'll probably come across someone who seems like a worthwhile person to use regularly.  these drivers will typically be happy to give you their phone number and confirm rides a day in advance or maybe a couple hours in advance.  i had a guy i used for awhile, he was part of a taxi rank that was parked in front of a major hotel nearby.  very few have great english but it isn't too hard to come across a person who can communicate with a non thai speaker. 

• Thanks 1

I've had the experience of getting a good driver in Bangkok and getting his phone number and tipping him up so he responds. One time, he took me out to an amulet market out in the burbs. We took a holy man out to Burger King.

In Mexico, you have to be careful that your new best friend driver doesn't become your burglar up the road. Which is my second question: how do you vet people? How do you hide your wealth? How much notice does a 170K person draw from the locals? Should I downgrade to a 30K apartment to avoid problems? 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

We just left Mexico where we spent about $2,500 a month for the life I just described. Obv, on $5K a month, I could live in most places in the world pretty well. Thailand is my passion.

Why Thailand is your passion and In the center of Bangkok, one of the most polluted, crowded city? Is your wife Thai? You should better move to Portugal or Spain. What are you exactly looking for by living in Bangkok? As for your uber driver, why not just buy a car and use a chauffer to drive you around? And when you are not using the car, you can tell the driver to use it as uber/bolt car to earn some extra money for him. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Why Thailand is your passion and In the center of Bangkok, one of the most polluted, crowded city? Is your wife Thai? You should better move to Portugal or Spain. What are you exactly looking for by living in Bangkok? As for your uber driver, why not just buy a car and use a chauffer to drive you around? And when you are not using the car, you can tell the driver to use it as uber/bolt car to earn some extra money for him. 

This is probably  a troll post.

• Like 2