Subcompact cars for Pattaya

Onerak

What small cars (Subcompact) would you suggest for Pattaya - I can only think of three cars - Nissan March, Mitsubishi Mirage, and MG 3. Would like to get a subcompact to drive around Pattaya and may be to u-tapao (I go to Sattahip frequently) and occasionally to Bangkok. Is it prudent to  buy a new one or a used one with less than 30K KM? I won't be driving more than 10K a year. Six months that I stay in the USA I drive approximately 3,000 miles year and recently bought a hybrid Ioniq 3. My budget is 300K BHT for a used one. If a new one I may go up to 550K. But would prefer a used one with at least driver side airbags and preferably with ABS. I have a motorcycle I used to drive around in back alleys for going to 7/11 or Rompho market or laundromat. I have been using Bolt for going to Pattaya from Jomtien. May be keep using Bolt instead of buying a car. But itching to by a car in Pattaya. I  don't know why as I cannot justify the reason for buying a car in Pattay instead of keep using Bolt. My GF is dead set against buying a car. She says total wastage of money because I only stay 6 months in Pattaya. Want some debates on buying a new car vs used car vs using bolt in Pattaya. Pros and cons. 

With 30,000 km on the odometer, you may not get much difference in price between new and used. That's a fact of life in Thailand.

Out of the three brands, I would pick the Mitsubishi. They make good reliable cars, and AFAIK they are not given to throwing their buyers under a bus if there is a problem.

I was impressed by a Kia Picanto in Vientiane, I don't know if they would fit the budget, or how many are available in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

My budget is 300K BHT for a used one

You should find a near new with this budget. 

Good luck 

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

My GF is dead set against buying a car

Wow, has she got any sisters, sounds like you found a good one. 

My gf's wanted me to buy 2 cars, one for me and one for her. 

20 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes she has a sister but also has a bf. 

20 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What new car? Can you please name the brand. 

Edit sorry. I see you mentioned near new. Yes I am expecting less than 30K and only few (2/3) years old.

Edited by Onerak

8 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Yes she has a sister but also has a bf. 

What new car? Can you please name the brand. 

Edit sorry. I see you mentioned near new. Yes I am expecting less than 30K and only few (2/3) years old.

The Nissan and Mitsubishi have a good product, the MG looks good but they're new on the market. 

Search Bahtsold, look for expat, private sellers, I see some Dodgy sellers, expat business owners, not recommended. 

Let me know if the sister becomes single ????

2-3 year old cars in Thailand are not particularly good value. Likely better to buy new and negotiate a good purchase package....e.g. discounted price, some extras such as first year insurance, window film, three years service, dashcam etc etc.

My suggestion is avoid these cars which have three cylinder engines and limited safety features.

For ฿550k (after discount) you can get a new Toyota Yaris in mid-spec. A four cylinder engine which is smoother and can run in Atkinson cycle when cruising. The gearbox is an Aisin K411 CVT, which is pretty much as good as a CVT gets.  7 airbags, stability control etc. Reversing camera. Android auto. Its also a well-sorted chassis with nicely-weighted steering and handles decently. Much better than a Mirage or March if you need to do a long drive.

Call around Toyota dealers in Bangkok for best price. Some Thai friends of mine who work for the government recommend the Toyota Thonburi branch on Lad Phrao road. Awkward location and small showroom but apparently they give good discounts.

• Like 1

"My budget is 300K BHT for a used one"

New Suzuki Celerio starts at 328k, and supposedly gets 20 kpL. 

Cheap buy in & operating costs

image.png.0e3e842ac7b03d0c07bddd2018ec3ede.png

image.png.0e8a2cea7a6b1f023d83c6de0cec005b.png

https://www.suzuki.co.th/model/celerio?utm_source=sem&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SuzukiCelerio_awo&utm_content=suzuki celerio&utm_term=brandpromo_textad2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-pCVBhCFARIsAGMxhAc6B6nFV3r9odJbWdithz3YUStsKXLNkOWKEVD6kpZh7DcxSnxBdNEaAuBzEALw_wcB

Edited by KhunLA

We have a Nissan March, and drive mostly around Pattaya with the odd trip to Bangkok. 10 year old and still going good. 

Keep in mind they are cheaply manufactured cars, but also cheap to run and cheap to service/repair.  If there is a choice between a 200 baht component and a 300 baht component, the march has the 200 baht component. 

The trouble is, 2nd hand cars tend to hold there value here, my theory is because they are cheap to repair.

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

This is what sprang to my mind when I read the OP. I've even go for the bare bones MT if one is only in LoS for 6 months a year. It will have more zip than the CVT's (does the manual still have wind up windows? lol)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DavisH said:

This is what sprang to my mind when I read the OP. I've even go for the bare bones MT if one is only in LoS for 6 months a year. It will have more zip than the CVT's (does the manual still have wind up windows? lol)

Probably, but does anyone ever roll the windows down.   Mine are always up & AC on, unless I'm paying a toll ... that's rare.

I peeked in one a while back, and quite nice for price point.  One on display in Lotus today, looking good.  Would be my first choice, as the others don't offer much for 2-300k more.

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

the MG looks good but they're new on the market. 

New on the market in 2010

Yeah, the Chinese MG 10 years. 

I reckon all but you agreed with me.

Everyone else got what I was saying

IMG_20220612_181749.jpg

IMG_20220612_181735.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Everyone else got what I was saying

Everyone else has responded to you?  I missed those posts, have they been deleted?! 

In actual fact no one has expressed any understanding of what you meant since that comment, not one poster! 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Since 2007, 15 years.

I've been following a few posts today, all members are making sensible comments, then I see you get yourself in the loop, you start commenting in an aggressive way and upset the applecart. 

I see one of the members started yelling at you. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Everyone else has responded to you?  I missed those posts, have they been deleted?! 

In actual fact no one has expressed any understanding of what you meant, not one poster! 

Exactly, no one commented because they all understood that my comment was correct. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've been following a few posts today, all members are making sensible comments, then I see you get yourself in the loop, you start commenting in an aggressive way and upset the applecart. 

"...you start commenting in an aggressive way and upset the applecart". 

That's just your opinion.  No apple carts have been upset.

Shame that you can't accept another member's observation at face value but claim it to be "aggressive and upsetting".  No one else has seems to concur with you on that!

"I've been following a few posts today"

Are you a monitor?!

17 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Exactly, no one commented because they all understood that my comment was correct

Not really, depending on what one means by 'new'.

... MG 3 has been offered here since 2015.  And as pointed out, produced even earlier, 2008.  Far from new.

Neta V ...  Ora Good Cat ... they're new.

Other new ones maybe here now or coming, aren't in the budget:

https://www.cars24.co.th/blog/en/9-new-cars-entering-the-thai-market-in-2022-many-are-ready-to-shake-the-car-industry-with-their-innovations-of-the-future/

Edited by KhunLA

Thank you all for your valuable insights about my future car choices. I reviewed the Yarris and it is very attractive and a solid brand that holds its value. If a buy a new one, I am more inclined to buy a Yarris.

I was hoping for some insights on why should I not buy any car and continue with my current strategy of using Bolt for my local transportation and use my motorcycle for short run to 7/11 etc. in the back alleys. Any pros and cons of buying a car vs using Bolt? 

As a buyer of a used car you are always at a disadvantage as you do not know the history of the car. And never will. Buying new is the only guarantee. A small car such as Nissan, Toyota or Honda is best bet. I would avoid Mitsubishi and never go anywhere near MG. Good luck. 

Edited by soi3eddie

17 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Thank you all for your valuable insights about my future car choices. I reviewed the Yarris and it is very attractive and a solid brand that holds its value. If a buy a new one, I am more inclined to buy a Yarris.

I was hoping for some insights on why should I not buy any car and continue with my current strategy of using Bolt for my local transportation and use my motorcycle for short run to 7/11 etc. in the back alleys. Any pros and cons of buying a car vs using Bolt? 

stay as you are imo.

14 hours ago, Onerak said:

Impossible question to answer because it totally depends on lifestyle. My wife and I spend 6-8 months a year in Thailand and couldn't live without a car because we tend to travel about quite a bit. Based in Pattaya but with a house in Udon and friends scattered around the country. In Pattaya I tend to drive only when going shopping. If going out for the evening locally we use Bolt/bus etc.  

I the UK I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years, including racing and acting as a motorcycle instructor and examiner. In Thailand I don't travel on anything with less than four wheels - two wheels are too dangerous IMHO.

Edited by HauptmannUK

On 6/12/2022 at 5:20 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Good luck 

My gf's wanted me to buy 2 cars, one for me and one for her. 

Thought you would say one for her and one for the wife!