Cyst Removal, Cost and unusual after care instruction.

sqwakvfr

Yesterday I went to CM Ram to have a cyst removed.  The procedure was painless and it took about 10 minutes. The total cost was 8200 Baht(Since it s Ram I was not surprised even though I was quoted less when I signed the consent form).  Anyway I got stitches on the area where the cyst was removed.  The doctor said I should gently wash the stitch area with soap and water.  He also said to watch for infection, take the antibiotics and come back in 7 days to have the stitches taken out. Pretty clear instructions.  

The confusion started when an aide in the department gave me two bottles(A disinfecting solution and sodium chloride).  He then said to come back everyday for cleaning with the two bottles and it would cost 500 baht each time.  This would be an additional 3500 baht. I have never heard of such a thing. I asked him to explain this and his English was very poor and he directed me to two other people.  One of them said I could go to any other hospital for cleaning.  The doctor who removed the cyst was busy with other patients and I was not able to speak to him.  In the many years I have been going to Ram this was the most confusing thing I have ever heard.  At this point I intend to follow the doctors instruction only. 

Has anyone had a cyst removed and been told to come back to have the stitch area cleaned at an additional cost?

36 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect a key factor is location - and that has not been mentioned.  My last two outer ear operations had no cleaning requirement (do not clean or remove bandage for week).

Lower back side.  

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

Lower back side.  

Expect that reason for care - you can not see - if have someone to clean should be acceptable or the ER visit each day.  Did have to do the daily ER visit after surgery for rebandage/clean of opening in perineum after urethra removal due cancer few years ago - cost was 400 then 290 per visit.

About 4 years ago, I had a cyst removed from my back.   Seven days after removal, returned for removal of stitches.   Kept the wound dry with waterproof plasters for a few days, oh, and a course of antibiotics for 10 days.    Carried out by a consultant dermatologiest at his private practice, cost 5000 baht.image.thumb.jpeg.316624fd30cb14611b2e9356576be739.jpeg

20181120_163025.jpg

Edited by pagallim

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Expect that reason for care - you can not see - if have someone to clean should be acceptable or the ER visit each day.  Did have to do the daily ER visit after surgery for rebandage/clean of opening in perineum after urethra removal due cancer few years ago - cost was 400 then 290 per visit.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

39 minutes ago, pagallim said:

About 4 years ago, I had a cyst removed from my back.   Seven days after removal, returned for removal of stitches.   Kept the wound dry with waterproof plasters for a few days, oh, and a course of antibiotics for 10 days.    Carried out by a consultant dermatologiest at his private practice, cost 5000 baht.image.thumb.jpeg.316624fd30cb14611b2e9356576be739.jpeg

20181120_163025.jpg

Thank as well.  These replies have given me the understanding that the hospital did not provide.  5000 Baht sounds like an amazing price   My cyst looked similar but was abut half the size of the baht coin.  

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Really. Did you go back to the hospital for cleaning?  Did you have signs of infection? 

My cyst was removed in a government hospital, so it is not just a ploy to get more money. In your case maybe... quite expensive for a check up. I did not go to appointment. I only go for follow ups if the case warrants it. Not a cyst.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

20181120_163025.jpg

I knew some cysts could contain hair or teeth, but a coin!? You make these things up, don't you?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

20181120_163025.jpg

How did that baht coin get in there in the first place? 

As long as you have someone who can 8nspect the area for you daily (or can contrive a good view 8n the m8rror) I would ignore the daily visit advice and do S the doctor said.

Some hospitals tack on this sort of thing automatically despite no order by the doctor (do the same with certain meds like paracetamol etc). 

• Like 1

I too have had several cysts removed from my neck and back.

For the first 7 days after the wound has been stitched up it is advisable to keep it completely dry and get it cleaned and dressed daily by professional nurses in a clinic (not necessarily in a hospital) for about 100 baht inclusive of materials (alcohol swabs and betadine or similar and waterproof bandage).

They are trained to look for signs of infection, especially if you are diabetic, and can immediately summon a doctor if required.

Stitches are usually removed in 7-10 days time.

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The doctor said I should gently wash the stitch area with soap and water.

6 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Soap and water---- Gosh , your joking..... the doctor said that?

Glad to read that there are still some doctors around who are aware that 'Granny knew best'. There's nothing wrong with soap and water for cleaning a wound. It will kill any known pathogen  that might be hanging around.

Years ago my head was cracked open in an accident. I needed about 20 stitches in my scalp. The doctor in the E.R. at Teppanya Hospital C.M. told me it needed cleaning daily. He said I could come to the hospital and the nurse would do it for 200 Baht each day, or I could go to the surgical supply store directly next-door to the hospital and buy the supplies and my wife could do it.

I'm not joking when I tell you that a box of 10 "wound care trays" (similar to the attached photo), cost only 80 Baht and a bottle of saline solution cost around 25 Baht. My wife helped me as the wound was at the back of my head. So 105 Baht for the week of wound care until the stitches came out.

dynj02001_pri04.jpg

I had a cyst the size of a pea removed from my hand at Bangkok Christian, about 7000bht (other private hospitals wanted 30,000bht). None of that nonsense you described. The price included biopsy, and a return in 10 days for stiches removal. Great job. 

I had a very large one that was infected removed from my back in my doctors surgery, I went back every day and the nurse cleaned it and then put on a new patch, 5 visits and at hundred baht each time  then another week before the doctor removed the stitches, no problems at all. In Australia I had one removed from my back  at the doctors surgery, told me to go back in 2 weeks and to keep it dry & not to do anything to it, got a bad infection in the wound and the doctor had to clean it out, I then had a friend use coloidal silver to wash it every day over the next week and it healed ok

9 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I had a cyst the size of a pea removed from my hand at Bangkok Christian, about 7000bht (other private hospitals wanted 30,000bht). None of that nonsense you described. The price included biopsy, and a return in 10 days for stiches removal. Great job. 

Expect the price difference was also due to not having done by plastic surgeon, which is considerably more expensive.