PM orders a clampdown on midnight closing rules

webfact

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I really cannot see how it is more dangerous for Covid clusters after midnight, than before midnight !

Pathetic, controlling measures from this sad, controlling government, and the sooner they go the better.

Nearly every other country has moved on, and is getting back to normal. except Thailand !

89 thousand at the state of origin football match in NSW, no masks required, no covid spikes ever reported since stadiums opened up, this is over, but Pfizer and Moderna have 7 billion doses of vaccine that no one wants, according to the Epoch Times, they are even now trying to vaccinate babies 6 months old and upwards even though over 85 % of children have had Omicron in the USA and have acquired natural immunity. 18 USA senators have signed a letter to the FDA requiring explanations as to why this is needed, when the vaccine, does not provide immunity for Omicron or prevent spread, you can download the letter from Dr Robert Malone. 

So it's over nobody cares in Australia or NZ, no one is being reinfected, so far as I know, and I talk to lots of people around me. 

But then there is stupid brain washed people wearing masks while driving alone, and California which is still enforcing draconian rubbish mandates on the people, for a pandemic that's endemic now, but Thailand still wants to follow chairman Biden and keep the charade going. 

According to the wife's friends, Thais are sick of it, no tourist no money, no honey baby, no jobs, for the small business, its a world wide shameful disaster. 

2 hours ago, James105 said:

It is absurd.   What is happening now is that after 12 midnight bars that follow the rules or cannot afford the bribes close.  Bars owned by the police (or are willing to pay the police bribe to look the other way) will stay open until 2, 3 4am or later.   Since there are less bars open people will accumulate in the smaller number of open bars making the bars busier which (if there was really a concern about covid) would provide a greater opportunity for covid spread.    If the desire was to reduce covid spread then it would make more sense to allow bars to be open 24 hours a day so people would be more spread out rather than accumulate in fewer open bars.      

The only people that support this nonsense are government stooges, police that own bars / receive bribes, science deniers and joy sponges.   

It has been absurd since 2004 when all bars and clubs must close at 1 and 2 am respectively.  

5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

And from the Thais I know, they are unhappy with the midnight closings.

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of delusion. I know of NO THAIS that are happy with anything this band of clowns does, and most Thais I know hold Anutin and Prayuth directly responsible for the latest waves of Covid, which could have been largely avoided, if the shutdowns were not so highly selective, favoring the cronies, and the vast majority want desperately for these clowns to be ousted, or to resign. 

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Pathetic, controlling measures from this sad, controlling government

You're literally quoting something that says that the local residents are concerned about it.  Are you saying that isn't true?

If local residents are objecting to the entertainment venues being open passed midnight, then it isn't just the government.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

You're literally quoting something that says that the local residents are concerned about it.  Are you saying that isn't true?

If local residents are objecting to the entertainment venues being open passed midnight, then it isn't just the government.

But it's the government, more specifically the PM who's quoting these alleged 'local resident' objectors and not the 'local resident' objectors themselves. 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut had received complaints via several channels

I'm pretty confident in this age of bureaucratic torpor, anyone with a legitimate ax to grind hits out on social media to get attention, they don't write to their MP or call the PM personally. That last posit is patently ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But it's the government, more specifically the PM who's quoting these alleged 'local resident' objectors and not the 'local resident' objectors themselves. 

I'm pretty confident in this age of bureaucratic torpor, anyone with a legitimate ax to grind hits out on social media to get attention, they don't write to their MP or call the PM personally. That last posit is patently ridiculous.

It's possible, but there are a lot of very conservative Thais.  Everyone is always talking about these "puritans" who want to ban alcohol and end prostitution to clean up Thailand's image and so on.  They surely aren't solely government people.  Also, if these venues entertain foreigners, with the covid based anti-foreigner sentiment that a lot of Thais have (and probably had before covid), I wouldn't be surprised if these kinds of complaints only increase as Thailand reopens.

• Confused 1

Hey Thaiwrath, Canada also has an idiot leader, who still clings to mandates, but hope is in the air.

There are a few changes lately, and we may even get rid of some of the mandates, if the Fall flu season does not get 

us all locked down again.

18 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

It has been absurd since 2004 when all bars and clubs must close at 1 and 2 am respectively.  

why?  Are you so alcohol dependent that you have to drink all night and all day?  This post subject is getting more idiotic by the day. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

why?  Are you so alcohol dependent that you have to drink all night and all day?  This post subject is getting more idiotic by the day. 

I personally don't really care what people want to do on their holidays and nor do I seek to spoil what others consider to be fun as we are all different.   I do care about the Thai people who work and own businesses in the entertainment sector here who were the first to be ordered to close down and are the last to be able to return to normal following the state over reaction to Covid.   Their formally viable businesses have been destroyed and they are still struggling and need these hours to be extended as lots of tourists do not go out until 9 or 10pm.   You seem to want this devastation to continue.  Why? 

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

I personally don't really care what people want to do on their holidays and nor do I seek to spoil what others consider to be fun as we are all different.   I do care about the Thai people who work and own businesses in the entertainment sector here who were the first to be ordered to close down and are the last to be able to return to normal following the state over reaction to Covid.   Their formally viable businesses have been destroyed and they are still struggling and need these hours to be extended as lots of tourists do not go out until 9 or 10pm.   You seem to want this devastation to continue.  Why? 

I doubt that adding one or two hours to a closing up time is the difference between a standard tourist  bar being  profitable or not, most of them seem to  lose shed loads of money in normal times. .  Bars are risky ventures.  If you go into that business and you get stuffed, well that's often the price of that trade, especially here..  As for poor Thai families running bars, in tourist areas like Pattaya, think again.  Its the mafia, or wealthy Thais with a dubious past/present, or deluded farangs that do that and no, I have no sympathy for them.   Profitable, popular  restaurants and Sports bars that are also restaurants don't need extended hours. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I doubt that adding one or two hours to a closing up time is the difference between a standard tourist  bar being  profitable or not, most of them seem to  lose shed loads of money in normal times. .  Bars are risky ventures.  If you go into that business and you get stuffed, well that's often the price of that trade, especially here..  As for poor Thai families running bars, in tourist areas like Pattaya, think again.  Its the mafia, or wealthy Thais with a dubious past/present, or deluded farangs that do that and no, I have no sympathy for them.   Profitable, popular  restaurants and Sports bars that are also restaurants don't need extended hours. 

The fact that the bar owners are calling for additional hours suggest that they do need them.   Lots of bars/restaurants are run by ordinary people.   The ones owned by mafia/police are already open until 4am as these pesky laws do not apply to them as I am sure you are aware.

It's the law abiding businesses that are struggling.    I can only think of 3 reasons why someone would object to longer opening hours for law abiding businesses: 

1.  They are a puritan, in which case this is probably the wrong country to reside in.

2.  They believe that by closing the law abiding bars at midnight and forcing everyone still out into the police/mafia owned bars reduces covid spread.

3.  They are RTP and are making money from bribes or lack of competition after midnight in their bars.   

So what is your reason for wanting the bars to close at midnight?   

1 hour ago, James105 said:

The fact that the bar owners are calling for additional hours suggest that they do need them.   Lots of bars/restaurants are run by ordinary people.   The ones owned by mafia/police are already open until 4am as these pesky laws do not apply to them as I am sure you are aware.

It's the law abiding businesses that are struggling.    I can only think of 3 reasons why someone would object to longer opening hours for law abiding businesses: 

1.  They are a puritan, in which case this is probably the wrong country to reside in.

2.  They believe that by closing the law abiding bars at midnight and forcing everyone still out into the police/mafia owned bars reduces covid spread.

3.  They are RTP and are making money from bribes or lack of competition after midnight in their bars.   

So what is your reason for wanting the bars to close at midnight?   

Not any of those things. I just can't understand why so many farangs on this forum are getting bent out of shape because the bars close at midnight and not 2am.  Seems to me to be a massive overreaction, but I guess that if you gauge a location and a lifestyle by bar opening hours you are bound to have a rather odd view of life.  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Not any of those things. I just can't understand why so many farangs on this forum are getting bent out of shape because the bars close at midnight and not 2am.  Seems to me to be a massive overreaction, but I guess that if you gauge a location and a lifestyle by bar opening hours you are bound to have a rather odd view of life.  

Whether or not you understand other people or why they like to have a different kind of experiences to you is completely irrelevant.  Since you avoided the question I'll try again.   What is your reason for wanting the bars to close at midnight if you are not a puritan, an authoritarian pretending to care about covid or someone who is profiting from the current status quo at the detriment of others?

6 minutes ago, James105 said:

Whether or not you understand other people or why they like to have a different kind of experiences to you is completely irrelevant.  Since you avoided the question I'll try again.   What is your reason for wanting the bars to close at midnight if you are not a puritan, an authoritarian pretending to care about covid or someone who is profiting from the current status quo at the detriment of others?

Where did I say that I want them to close at midnight; nowhere mate.   As anyone who actually read my ports will pick up, I was commenting on the over the top reaction to keeping the closing time at midnight and not extending it to 2am. I said that midnight seems reasonable to me  and seems to be in line with other international tourist destinations.  I don't personally give a monkeys what the closing times are as I don't do bars.  Clear now?   

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Where did I say that I want them to close at midnight; nowhere mate.   As anyone who actually read my ports will pick up, I was commenting on the over the top reaction to keeping the closing time at midnight and not extending it to 2am. I said that midnight seems reasonable to me  and seems to be in line with other international tourist destinations.  I don't personally give a monkeys what the closing times are as I don't do bars.  Clear now?   

If you didn't give a monkeys you would not feel the need to post your thoughts on here about the closing times, but here we are.   What international tourist destinations close at midnight?  I'm pretty well travelled and I cannot think of a single destination I have been to where the nightlife shuts down at midnight. 

1 hour ago, James105 said:

If you didn't give a monkeys you would not feel the need to post your thoughts on here about the closing times, but here we are.

It's a public forum mate; its what it's for, it's how it works !   It's for members to express an opinion, on any old subject they like, within forum rules,  and for whatever reason. If you don't like a post  then don't read it, or at least don't reply to it, if you don't like a particular poster, then block him or her.  That's how it works. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/13/2022 at 5:58 AM, cedel said:

And I read a few days ago or yesterday that they were considering extending closing time from midnight to 2 am !!

So why suddenly give this stupid order ?

Turists are fed up with those stupid restrictions...!

Not only tourists

16 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I was commenting on the over the top reaction to keeping the closing time at midnight and not extending it to 2am.

How is not changing something an over-reaction.?

I grew up with 'time gentlemen please'.... perhaps did not grow up enough, and need to be patted on the bottom and sent home!

Edited by jacko45k
punctuation

18 hours ago, James105 said:

What is your reason for wanting the bars to close at midnight

and I will answer it, yet again, I never said that I wanted it.  Are you able to read English,  or are you just being intentional obtuse. ? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:04 PM, Thaiwrath said:

really cannot see how it is more dangerous for Covid clusters after midnight, than before midnight !

May be because the carriage turns into a pumpkin ?

Edited by daejung
misspelling