Speedy response as "Lt-Gen" calls for action at Zebra X-ing outside school where yet another primary kid was injured

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

A senior figure in the Pathum Thani administration called "Mayor Jazz" or Pol Lt-Gen Kamronwit Thupkrajang demanded swift action after yet another primary school child was hit on the way home.

The P6 boy was hit at 3.40 pm and Kamronwit demanded that the Department of Rural Roads make improvements to finish within three days on the Zerbra Crossing outside Charoen Dee school in Klong 8, Lam Lukka.

image.jpeg

This is ASEAN NOW's third story about a student hit by a motorcycle on a zebra crossing in about a week. 

Officials were out adding extra rumble strips, writing 'slow down' signs on the road and adding signage and a flashing light. 

image.jpeg

Teacher Natthanan Kulchaleerom - better know as Khru Noona - said she was delighted that the Lt-Gen cared so much about children and parents.

Siam Rath had a picture of Khru Noona doing some handy pointing, lest there be any doubt. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The signs need to be much bigger , with YOU WILL BE FINED 5000 THB

IF YOU DON'T STOP FOR PEOPLE CROSSING  , put cameras up.hitting

them in the pocket maybe to only way they will learn what zebra crossings

are for

regards Worgeordie

...need at least 30m of clear space on approach and departure side as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The signs need to be much bigger , with YOU WILL BE FINED 5000 THB

IF YOU DON'T STOP FOR PEOPLE CROSSING  , put cameras up.hitting

them in the pocket maybe to only way they will learn what zebra crossings

are for

regards Worgeordie

Crossing guards with bad language might also help? 

Here in Chiang Mai, on Huay Kaew Road, there is a zebra walk, with stop light that you activate. With a red light, motorbikes zoom right on by! They don’t care.

No cops at anytime in the years I’ve been here. Not one cop. Honestly it’s embarrassing. 

Why stop when you are never going to be caught? 

Oh, and there is a school right next to the crosswalk. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This is ASEAN NOW's third story about a student hit by a motorcycle on a zebra crossing in about a week. 

unfortunately that number will keep going up as majority of drivers don't respect signage.... they will speak about the accident for the next couple but after that all (unfortunately)  days all back to the normal don't care behavior

This can't continue to be one off knee jerk reactions to incidents at random zebra crossings. Enforce the <deleted> law at all zebra crossings or paint over the crossings. The police are part of the problem, instead of being part of the cure.

I've seen plenty of police in Bangkok totally disregard the pedestrians on the zebra crossings near my condo. So if they don't respect the law themselves then why would they try and enforce the laws on the other law breaking road users. If you can't enforce laws on pedestrian crossing then ditch the concept of pedestrian crossings and build safe alternatives (over or under the road). 

Two years ago, stopped at a crosswalk as two elderly people were trying to cross the road. 

Rear-ended - and was blamed (initially) for blocking the road.  Learned my lesson - now check my rear-view mirror BEFORE stopping.

Thai wifey is shocked that crossings are so respected by motorists here in USA.  Even in front of stores when we walk in or out from the parking lot.  She and I used to cross Thong lot at Suk and it was a joke.  Even if a cop on a motorcycle was stopped at the light he wouldn't go after the people who ran the light across the crossing.  Only safe thing was to go as a crowd.   I will say my wife can hike off trail with the sure footedness of a mountain goat.  20 years of BKK streets is good for something.  

This morning I took my son to school around 6:45am.

The road is 2 lanes each way and the motorcycle lane.  

When you get there there is a set of flashing leds and cones set up so you have to slow down, get to the4 left lane to go through the cone chicane. Immediately after the chicane is the pedestrian crossing.

This morning I slowed down to get in the left lane and there was a white pickup in the right lane who wanted to get past me but he would have run into the cones.

Eventually he got into the left lane behind me and I stopped before the crossing to let a young lad cross the road.

About 25 metres past the I indicated that I was making a U-turn to go back to the school and the damn fool in the white pickup was trying to over take me and I am now in the right lane turning. He would have had to cross the double yellow line and get tangled up in the cones even though the left lane was clear.

Fortunately this is happening at <20kph.

Directly opposite the school is a hospital.

5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

May I bid Baht 10,000?

Look, I'm all for fining people a reasonable amount but 10,000 k for not stopping ? 10k baht could be 66% of someone's wage. It would be the equivalent in the UK of a fine for about £2-3000 ! Persistently doing it , I'd agree with you.

All those signs and painting on the street will do nothing to help these people survive crossing the road. Have a look from the Dr. being run over and killed to the student being hit. None of these people are looking in the direction that the traffic is coming from that will kill them. They all have there heads down or looking straight ahead. They need a camp. for cross walk safety, stop, look and listen then look all the way across the road.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

All those signs and painting on the street will do nothing to help these people survive crossing the road. Have a look from the Dr. being run over and killed to the student being hit. None of these people are looking in the direction that the traffic is coming from that will kill them. They all have there heads down or looking straight ahead. They need a camp. for cross walk safety, stop, look and listen then look all the way across the road.

change will come quickly if crossing pedestrians carry canes or bats to protect themselves from vehicular manslaughter. everyone has a right to protect themselves. drivers will take notice once pedestrians even the odds, so to speak.

I'm being facetious, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Teacher Natthanan Kulchaleerom - better know as Khru Noona - said she was delighted that the Lt-Gen cared so much about children and parents.

Jeez, what a brown noser.

if the Lt-Gen cared enough, he would post a cop at school crosswalks when children are going/leaving for the day. isn't anyone in the RTP thinking? groups of distracted young children are crossing the road, disasters waiting to happen, are there any adult crossing guards?