Is Thailand creating a Cannabis tourism empire?

webfact

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

I was not painting anyone a hero. As for being naive I have lived here 39 years so I suspect my understanding of  Thailand's intrigues may well be far greater than yours so please don't go down the road of naivety as it will bite you in the bum maybe. So let's just agree to disagree on that subject.

I will agree to disagree and go on my way quietly.

However, please don't presume me to be a newbie, I was also here before Toxin .

I arrived during Mr. Leekpie's term.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Have you not seen what has been happening over the past week?

Despite the original intention of the law and tales of 0.2%, shops and established businesses are openly advertising and selling high strength cannabis, with shops trying their best to supply the highest % over the top of the intended law.

Thailand currently is now an open market for trouble free cannabis and it does not look like it will be going away.

Tourists will flock here, Its quickly becoming the safest place to have a toke in the region.

Now that travel is opening up again, Thailand's tourism industry will quickly bounce back, aided with the extra tourists who want to chill on their holidays but prefer a warmer climate  than Amsterdam.

The better night life and adult industry may also play a part.

Other local countries may in the future follow Thailand, after they realize that there is a drop in their visitors, whereas Thailand is booming.

However, that will be some time in the future, these things take time and there are enough dinosaurs running countries.

Can you prove that? 

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Them also

Thais getting busted in their own country is one thing - they also fully understand the law. If foreign nationals are arrested then it's a whole new scenario. The actions of the police will be scrutinised and foreign offices could get involved or at least crowd funding for naive people who that it was OK to lih=ght up in public or carry around strong weed.

I think it's already apparent that the police are not trained in the new laws and their will be a lot of liberal interpretations going on.

What re the fines for possession? How will testing be carried out? etc etc.....how long will it take to get to court?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

jesus! are we still banging on about .2% .... EXTRACTS only are below .2% thc

I did notice that is said > .2 for extracts in the photo. Is the buds also illegal by actual written law?

As posted by BritManToo. Need clarity for customers 

Edited by earlinclaifornia

13 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

The ads for potency > .2

They have been pasted on this forum for a week now, you only need to look and you will find.

Don't expect me to do your dirty work for you, I have nothing to prove to someone who has contributed nothing positive to these posts and then questions what I post.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

They have been pasted on this forum for a week now, you only need to look and you will find.

Don't expect me to do your dirty work for you, I have nothing to prove to someone who has contributed nothing positive to these posts and then questions what I post.

This second I did see just that and saved the picture

Edited by earlinclaifornia

11 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

If you work on percentages, you better prepare Thailand for the avalanche of Indian tourists. If every thousandth pottie in India boards a plane to the East and gets off at Swampi or Don Meuaiong airport? 

Weed is available in plenty. Thirty years ago there were government dispensaries where you could buy weed. Not sure the current situations. Most indians don't like weed also. They think it is a drug for low class destitute people or  sadhus who have abandoned earthly pleasure smoke weed. I remember forty years ago I went to Varanasi (during the waning days of hippie movement) and asked a person on the street about the availability of weed. He told me to go and ask sadhus. I asked a few sadhus and one agreed to sell me a handful for few pennies. 

Edited by Onerak

10 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Why would anybody come to Thailand for cannabis with less than 0.2% THC?

Stuff up to 20% is on sale in the dispensaries for now anyway. The loophole that was deliberately not highlighted was that only extracts over 0.2% remain criminalized but all unrefined parts of the plants are legal with no limit on THC content. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stoner said:

is was the same garbage back then as it is now. the whole thai stick thing is just silly now. 

difference being is back then all weed sucked. 

Not exactly! I worked in Thailand back in the early 70's and through the 80's. The weed here was killer...meanwhile what people were smoking in California, North Carolina, Florida, New Mexico and Colorado where I frequented because of work was simply dirt weed or leaves soaked in chemicals such as PCP or whatever. Now days all of the above places have killer weed, but so-called real Thai stick (Buddah) either doesn't exist or is imported... 

20 minutes ago, stoner said:

it was killer for the time and all you guys knew. take that same weed and put it on the market today and it would be laughed away. rightly so. 

You guys?... So I take it you never smoked Thai Stick back in the day?  I've smoked then and now... you can't compare weed grown 50/40 years ago with weed cultivation today. That's like trying to compare Michael Jordan to Lebron James - doesn't work. Sound like a kid talking out of his behind... Don't take it personally, a lot of people have nothing to go on but pure conjecture.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mosan said:

You guys?... So I take it you never smoked Thai Stick back in the day?  I've smoked then and now... you can't compare weed grown 50/40 years ago with weed cultivation today. That's like trying to compare Michael Jordan to Lebron James - doesn't work. Sound like a kid talking out of his behind... Don't take it personally, a lot of people have nothing to go on but pure conjecture.

nothing personal not to worry. i would say my experience in the sector allows me to make the comments i do. 

why shouldnt you compare weed from then till now ? the advancements are huge. therefore the advances in quality etc are also huge. isn't that how things work ? 

thai weed typically will never get over say 16 to at best 18 percent thc with very sad terpene profile levels. do you really believe farmers back then knew what we know now about the plant ? that's just silly.  

Does anyone know what kind of seedlings they gave away?  Are they anything approaching high THC strains or just basically hemp? You need a lot of hemp plants to be able to produce anything useful with it.  However, just one high THC plant can potentially produce several kg of bud.  They can grow as big as trees, especially in an ideal climate like Thailand.

bg06axt3um541 - Copy.jpg

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, HaoleBoy said:

"It is an opportunity for people and the state to earn income from marijuana and hemp," said Anutin Charnvirakul

This is not marijuana as the rest of the world knows, but only hemp at 0.2% THC.  This is a joke and has not medical or other potential with this very weak strain of THC.

In California the THC of recreational "weed" is 20% - 33% THC.  I'm not sure what level of THC the medical grade is in the various US states that allow "medical marijuana".

what he said.

On 6/15/2022 at 6:09 AM, bristolgeoff said:

From what i know many thais smoke cannabis,all over thailand.Making it legal to have plants growing.Parts of amercia also have the same.Nothing about  making it a tourist hotspot,some will indulge of course,others will not.I may be wrong  but only thais will be allowed to go a plant or 2,the farang will be a no no

Just suggested to the wife she could grow up to six ganja plants. She was not responsive to the idea.????

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

what he said.

The 0.2% rule applies to "extracts". Some boffins have suggested that "buds" might be considered extracts, but that idea has not caught on with several high (????) profile distributors who are openly advertising their wares. Believe what you will, but none of these Enterprises have been shut down, yet.

6 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

The 0.2% rule applies to "extracts". Some boffins have suggested that "buds" might be considered extracts, but that idea has not caught on with several high (????) profile distributors who are openly advertising their wares. Believe what you will, but none of these Enterprises have been shut down, yet.

So how do you get from high THC bud to something you can smoke in  your shisha ?  Surely you have to do something with them ?

On 6/15/2022 at 7:13 AM, stoner said:

the vast majority of the weed grown here is garbage. only a few sources of quality. other than that its imported. 

So the legendary "Thai Sticks" are a hoax? I understand many are importing quality strain seeds as well. I do remember the Vietnam War era, and Thai ganja was sought after. YMMV.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:08 AM, Classic Ray said:

Any enforcement of the 0.2% THC limit will be a nightmare given the skill levels currently exhibited. Low contents plants look identical to high content plants 

The cork has come out of the bottle and I predict the country will become much more chilled and relaxed, but that road deaths will increase due to intoxication levels.

Not so sure re: road deaths. Locals who indulge have been doing so right along. Maybe a few more tourists on moto bikes, but I don't recall having a lot of energy for driving "stoned" in the day.  Few times sitting, waiting for the stop sign to change.????

image.png

1 hour ago, Kwaibill said:

Could hash be considered an extract? I suppose it could

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Could hash be considered an extract? I suppose it could

Quite surprised I've seen that on a few 'menus'.   I was in a 'hash only' smoking mode for about decade ????, until good buds were available.

I'm waiting for the 'restricted selling hours' to be announced soon, in line with alcohol sales hours.  If not a total ban on flower / buds sales forth coming.

Think the gov't got caught off guard, and their ignorance shows on how little they knew, and how many 'farmers' were already out there.   Maybe they were basing the 'farmers per capita' on convictions & incarcerations for ganga, and not living in the real world.

oops  ... ????

Now how to overly tax it, like everything else.  If they can figure that out, they may not ban the 'buds' sales completely.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1