Hottest day of the year recorded as U.K. braces for 34C heat with expert warning of 'rare climate change event'

onthedarkside

Screenshot_1.jpg.158e7380f847242a02d9966885872b96.jpg

Two women enjoy the hot weather in Green Park, London

The hottest day of the year so far has been recorded in St James Park, central London, where the mercury soared to 28C on Wednesday - and is expected to be beaten later this week

The hottest day of the year so far has been recorded in St James Park, central London on Wednesday, when temperatures reached 28C.

Further highs of 34C (93.2F) are expected to arrive by Friday in some parts of England, prompting a Met Office expert to warn of a 'rare' climate change event.

The Met Office and the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) issued a level two heat health alert for a large part of southern and central England, with a level one alert in place for northern England.

Wednesday's 28C heat has beat the previous record for this year of 27.5C (81.5F) set in May at Heathrow airport.

(more)

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-weather-temperatures-could-hit-34c-this-week-as-expert-warns-of-rare-climate-change-event-12634460

831536427_SkyNews.jpg.de1921906d5504febeda6c94c006f060.jpg

• Haha 2

I've enjoyed the hot weather here in London today. As temperatures rise, female clothing seems to shrink. A rare few good lookers here but overwhelmingly I'd rather be in Thailand.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

central London, where the mercury soared to 28C on Wednesday

Sounds like perfect weather to me. Between 27 and 30 is my comfort zone. Anything up to 35 is okay, as long as the humidity drops in the 40s or lower 50s percent. Wonder what would happen to these people if they had to deal with 40 or 41 or even 42.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Sounds like perfect weather to me. Between 27 and 30 is my comfort zone. Anything up to 35 is okay, as long as the humidity drops in the 40s or lower 50s percent. Wonder what would happen to these people if they had to deal with 40 or 41 or even 42.

What you have to bear in mind that in England the temperatures so rarely reach levels like this (maybe a short 1 or 2-week spell every 2-3 years) that pretty much nowhere has air con, so there's nowhere to escape the heat for a few minutes, and at night time it can be particularly uncomfortable at the temperatures you experience throughout these heat waves.

14 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

The hottest day of the year so far has been recorded in St James Park, central London on Wednesday, when temperatures reached 28C.

30c here in Chiang Mai, quite cool IMHO.

No air-con or even fan required.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, JayClay said:

What you have to bear in mind that in England the temperatures so rarely reach levels like this (maybe a short 1 or 2-week spell every 2-3 years) that pretty much nowhere has air con, so there's nowhere to escape the heat for a few minutes, and at night time it can be particularly uncomfortable at the temperatures you experience throughout these heat waves.

Well, I can see it if it's humid. I suppose London is that, humid that is. But the key to me is always how much you are able to cool off at night. You can ride out some very warm temperatures during the day. But if you don't get relief at night, that's the killer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Well, I can see it if it's humid. I suppose London is that, humid that is. But the key to me is always how much you are able to cool off at night. You can ride out some very warm temperatures during the day. But if you don't get relief at night, that's the killer.

Nights are warming faster than days. Here’s what that means for the planet.

https://www.popsci.com/story/environment/warming-nighttime-temperatures-climate/

U.K.: It’s the hottest day of the year again and Friday's going to be a scorcher

The UK recorded its second consecutive hottest day of the year on Thursday before the mercury is expected to rise again to a sweltering 34°C on Friday.

A high of 29.3°C was registered at Heathow and Kew Gardens in London on Thursday, surpassing the 28.2°C recorded at Kew on Wednesday, a record high for the year so far.

The southeast is set to sizzle in 34°C heat on Friday, with much of England and Wales expecting temperatures of 27 to 30°C – making the country hotter than parts of Jamaica and the Maldives.

However, experts – some of whom attribute the heat to climate change – have warned people of the dangers surrounding the exceptionally hot weather.

(more)

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/16/weather-hottest-day-of-the-year-so-far-at-29-3c-ahead-of-34c-scorcher-16840565/

2095231303_MetroUK.jpg.8837a4a5f171f31b1002f16e05ef6c37.jpg