Regulation signed to make cannabis flowers a controlled herb in Thailand

webfact

17 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Now that we can all grow cannabis for our own use, will the government allow us to make our own beer and wine?

And - Will cannabis be restricted in the same way as alcohol, i.e.- can not be sold from 2.00pm to 5.00pm and 12.00pm to 11.00am and never on a Buddha Day or election day?

Rhetorical questions, obviously.

Farangs cannot grow or own the plants only Thai nationals but as I have a pink ID card I might apply using that to see if they grant me my 3 plants 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

And how they are going to police all that? Thailand needed this marijuana business like a hole in the head as if the don't have million others problems to deal with they added this bizarre free marijuana on top of all their problems...

Well it's easy....Just put it in the "in-tray" at the bottom like 999,999 other "Problems" they don't deal with!

In the meantime.....

Edited by Troy Tempest

The Cannabis and Hemp Bill seems to fill in a lot of the details of licensing, registration for home growers & etc.  Also the ban on sale to under 20s, pregnant and lactating women (how to know if they are in the early stages of pregnancy or lactating?).

I read in one report that import of a small quantity for personal use carried on the person will be allowed.  It will be interesting to see if that makes it through parliament into the final version.

It is quite common in Thai legislation for a law to be promulgated or amended with enabling legislation to follow.  That happens with every constitution with organic laws filling in the details later.  It has also happened with amendments to the Land Code, Working of Aliens Act and many other laws.  Sometimes this laws cannot be put into effect at all without the enabling legislation, e.g. the constitution.  In other cases they can.  The Working of Aliens Act stipulated that the list of reserved professions would be amended by a ministerial decree within 12 months but that amendment was never issued and the law was revoked and replaced by a Royal Decree without any revision to the list of reserved professions. 

In this case one could argue it was inappropriate to amend the Narcotics Act by deleting cannabis except extracts over 0.2% from Category 5 without the enabling legislation. However, I think we can assume this was a case of political expediency.  Anutin had the power the amend the Narcotics Act with approval from the Narcotics Committee simply by issuing a one page ministerial order. The Cannabis and Hemp Bill had to be drafted at length, reviewed by the Juridicial Council and go through three House readings (it is has just passed the first reading).  With the government coming to the end of its term and with the risk of early elections, there was and still is no guarantee the Cannabis and Hemp Bill would be passed before the next elections.  Waiting for this Anutin would have risked going to the polls with his key election pledge unfulfilled. 

Cannabis legalization must have been the main attraction of the MoPH to Anutin.   Who would have guessed back in 2019 he was going to have to deal with a pandemic? With the pandemic and vaccines starting to recede in the rear view mirror, at least for now, Anutin is coming through as a man who, for better or wore, delivers his promises which could put him in a good position to become a future PM.

• Like 2

I have only started looking into the legal aspects of cannabis in Thailand in the last few days out of curiosity.

I have a question for those who know more about it.  Is hashish considered an extract over 0.2%?  I believe it is made of pressed cannabis resin.  Therefore it is not strictly speaking an extract like cannabis oil.  However, it hasn't appeared on any of the dispensary price lists I have seen which leads me to think it might be considered an extract.  The resin in Thailand may just be left with the buds to increase their potency. 

Looking briefly through the history of Thai cannabis legislation I see there was a Cannibis Act of 1934 that was repealed on the promulgation of the Narcotics Act 1979 which included all parts of cannabis and hemp plants and their extracts for total prohibition in Category 5.

Under the Canabis Act 1934 it was considered a medicinal herb and the law was all about licensing for sellers.  Plus ça change.  After 43 years of prohibition which apparently achieved nothing Thailand is now reverting to the status quo of 88 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so they are not really regulating it all shops still have it. I asked my shop and they’re only supposed to ask for ID and not sell to pregnant women. Also people are allowed to grow it at home now. That makes it impossible to regulate. 

• Like 2

Let's see.

It's legal to grow the plant but it's illegal to have a plant with flowers.  So, if you are growing plants for 'personal use' then what should you do if your plants decides to flower? 

So, once signed into the  Royal Gazette, I'm assuming those 3000 prisoners released on possession charges will be tossed back into jail.  Then they better start building more jails because the commoners can now grow the plant, but should the plant flower they can then be thrown into prison.
Of course it's not too late to simple add another sentence to the bill that makes it illegal for the common public to grow that plant in the first place.  Flip-Flop.  Right back to square one.

29 minutes ago, connda said:

So, if you are growing plants for 'personal use' then what should you do if your plants decides to flower? 

I'd suggest burning the flowers.

My personal opinion is that cannabis flower will become as illegal as prostitution, selling alcohol out of hours, driving without tax/insurance/m/c helmet or driving license.

Final result

Everyone will be doing it, but sometimes you will need to pay the BiB 200bht.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

I have only started looking into the legal aspects of cannabis in Thailand in the last few days out of curiosity.

I have a question for those who know more about it.  Is hashish considered an extract over 0.2%?  I believe it is made of pressed cannabis resin.  Therefore it is not strictly speaking an extract like cannabis oil.  However, it hasn't appeared on any of the dispensary price lists I have seen which leads me to think it might be considered an extract.  The resin in Thailand may just be left with the buds to increase their potency. 

Yes, this is extract.

If you are "extracting" anything from the plant into a concentrated form it falls under the 0.2% rule.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the end of the day, nothing will have changed but the price. I can buy oil, resin and bud locally (not to mention that dreadful compressed dog's breakfast stuff). With the entire nation farming herb, how can there be any policing or control over bud sales and use - let alone oil production?. Current prices will drop hugely in the next half-year.

PREDICTION: this will end up like "employment, businesses and taxation"., The Thai govt can't control their own people and get them to declare their earnings and pay income tax, so they nail the farangs to the wall instead.

The whole cannabis-cultivation thing will go the same way . . . impossible to keep track of millions of Thais, but heaven help any farangs who are reckless enough to think they can join in; they'll be hung out to dry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'd like to see a translation of the original new regulations, not just this new 'clarification' - there's been nothing but confusing and contradictory reports from the start. For example, when de-regulation was first announced the entire proposals were based on medical use - now the word 'recreational' is being openly used.

Then there's the confusion over the stated strength of 0.2% THC content. So what do the regulations, as published, actually say. In my book, by placing an age threshold on the drug and stating that it should not be used by pregnant women, Anutin is throwing the 0.2% in the bin.  Such a low content wouldn't even be noticed by the user and would be of no harm whatsoever so there'd be no point in controlling anything.

Has anyone seen a translation of the new laws - as published in the Royal Gazette?

The confusion is that no law was made.. 

120 days before 9th June they took cannabis off the narcotics list entirely.. Extracts made from cannabis (any processing, food, oils, wax, etc) was ether OK under 0.2% and controlled by FDA as a CBD product or over 0.2% as a narcotic and still only possible with a prescription.

They fully expected to create and pass laws in the time between publication and it being law. Conservative voices fully expected all THC parts to be controlled. Somehow Thailand failed to make any law (accidentally on purpose ??) so it effectively decriminalized the plant entirely, not what most officials voted for. 

A law may come, but right now there isnt one 

list.pdf.jpg

286688817_583033026772807_4970533043067256206_n.jpg

T_0001.pdf

16 minutes ago, StealthComms said:

Here's actual law.

All it says u can't sell flowers to under 20 y olds and pregnant woman.

As well need a licence for controlled herb. 

Agree.. 

But as you can also home grow totally without restrictions I dont see how they will be able to police the need for anyone over 20 to have a prescription. Did this weed come from a licensed practioner or your back garden ?? 

3 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

He’s just appeasing the ultra conservatives and it doesn’t actually do anything real to regulate it. 

this.. exactly this.. 

A rushed through order, signed instantly, that doesnt actually do anything real, only makes some noises about protecting the children (think of the kids !!!).. 

Its another miss direction and makes me even more convinced the failing to pass a cannabis control law in the 120 days was a Thai way of pushing full legalization through.

• Like 1