Price for coronary bypass operation, and prices in general

Lorry

In a thread from 2014, Sheryl mentioned 300000

In a thread from 2019, Sheryl mentioned 600000, and another poster said Bumrungrad charged 1.2m

I just got a quote from one of the upcountry Bangkok Hospitals (they are usually about 30 or 40% cheaper than Bangkok Pattaya Hospital). 2 million.

I know medical prices for foreigners have doubled during the pandemic. 

But I am still shocked. 

This is double the price in Western Europe if paying out of pocket and treated by professors. (The subsidized price in Western Europe - what most people pay - is of course close to zero)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

A  provincial hospital cannot do this. Most regional hospitals can.

Cost depends on  if it is single, double or triple (or even quadruple) bypass . 

I suspect the 2 million quote was for triple or quadruple bypass.  It's on the high side, would be around 1 million I  most hospitals these days.

don't confuse cost of stents with cost of bypass, open heart surgery. 

how many vessels are blocked?

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

@Lorry if the 2014 thread you refer to is this one I said 400-500k not 300k. Hasn't been as low as 300k in my memory.   https://aseannow.com/topic/774804-heart-surgery-in-thialand/

Remember that this is open heart surgery requiring use of a heart-lung machine and team of trained perfusionists to operate it as well as a skilled cardio-thoracic surgeon etc. And a hospital stay of about a week including usually a night in ICU (more if any complications)

Unless it is triple/quadruple vessel disease, stenting is usually preferred -cheaper, much less invasive.

I  doubt the full out of pocket cost in Western Europe is as low as you indicate. Average cost in US is around $125,000. While Europe would be less I don't think it can that much less.

Assuming you do mean a CABG and not stenting, your best option in Bangkok (combining both cost and safety considerations) is probably to go through the semi-private channel at Chulalongkorn Hospital Suggest this doctor:

http://www.chulacardiaccenter.org/en/cardiology/chaisiri-wanlapakorn-md/109-kittichai-luengtaviboon-md

and see him through the "Nonofficial -hour Clinic : Wednesday 16.30-20.00  Por-por-ror Building FL 6"

I cannot guarantee there won't be a long wait list though especially in these post-COVID times. But no harm in asking.

Dr. Kittichai is also at Bangkok Christian Hospital though only once a month https://www.bch.in.th/find-doctor/doctor-profile/?smid=4563

Cost there is usually about half that of Bumrungrad

And he is also at Phyathai 2 Hospital, whuch generally costs less 20-30% than Bumrungrad https://phyathai2international.com/doctor.php?pid=20&lang=en

See him at Chula first, if impressed with him but the wait at Chula is too long you can ask him what it costs (approximately) at BCH and at Phyathai

Another options that would certainly cost less than Bumrungrad et al would be: Saint Louis Hospital.  I used to recommend people to see Dr.  Kittichai there but he seems to have left, not sure who is there now  but you could contact the hospital and ask who their cardiac surgeons are)

I do not recommend getting this done upcountry.

If you are in very stable condition (i.e. well enough to fly) then going to India might be an option and would certainly be much less expensive even including air fare etc.

This is all assuming you really mean a CABG procedure and have for some reason determined it is necessary and stents not an option. If by chance you mean stenting that is a whole other matter, different costs, different doctors and I can give specific recs for that.

Thanks for your detailed answer. 

Yes, I am talking about triple bypass.

I got a quote from Bumrungrad, in the meantime.  1.2 - 1.5m. That sounds a lot more reasonable to me. It is covered by insurance,  but they have limits based on European prices. 

Price in Western Europe would be (less than) 30000 € (1.1 MB), in Switzerland 40000 CHF (1.4 MB) or more.

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

Thanks for your detailed answer. 

Yes, I am talking about triple bypass.

I got a quote from Bumrungrad, in the meantime.  1.2 - 1.5m. That sounds a lot more reasonable to me. It is covered by insurance,  but they have limits based on European prices. 

Price in Western Europe would be (less than) 30000 € (1.1 MB), in Switzerland 40000 CHF (1.4 MB) or more.

In that event I suggest you get quotes from Phyathai 2, Bangkok Christian and St Louis. I expect they will be less than Bumrungrad. And as mentioned there is an excellent cardiothoracic surgeon (Prof. Kittichai) who operates at both Phyathai2 and Bkk Christian.

As you will be using insurance, disregard the suggestion of Chuklalongkorn as, being a government hospital, it may be difficult to arrange direct payment there.

You can see Prof. Kittichai at Phyathai2 this Tuesday. He won't be at BCH for outpatient again until next month but could surely arrange admission there if you prefer it once you have seen him.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, Sheryl said:

@Lorry if the 2014 thread you refer to is this one I said 400-500k not 300k. Hasn't been as low as 300k in my memory.   https://aseannow.com/topic/774804-heart-surgery-in-thialand/

Remember that this is open heart surgery requiring use of a heart-lung machine and team of trained perfusionists to operate it as well as a skilled cardio-thoracic surgeon etc. And a hospital stay of about a week including usually a night in ICU (more if any complications)

Unless it is triple/quadruple vessel disease, stenting is usually preferred -cheaper, much less invasive.

I  doubt the full out of pocket cost in Western Europe is as low as you indicate. Average cost in US is around $125,000. While Europe would be less I don't think it can that much less.

Assuming you do mean a CABG and not stenting, your best option in Bangkok (combining both cost and safety considerations) is probably to go through the semi-private channel at Chulalongkorn Hospital Suggest this doctor:

http://www.chulacardiaccenter.org/en/cardiology/chaisiri-wanlapakorn-md/109-kittichai-luengtaviboon-md

and see him through the "Nonofficial -hour Clinic : Wednesday 16.30-20.00  Por-por-ror Building FL 6"

I cannot guarantee there won't be a long wait list though especially in these post-COVID times. But no harm in asking.

Dr. Kittichai is also at Bangkok Christian Hospital though only once a month https://www.bch.in.th/find-doctor/doctor-profile/?smid=4563

Cost there is usually about half that of Bumrungrad

And he is also at Phyathai 2 Hospital, whuch generally costs less 20-30% than Bumrungrad https://phyathai2international.com/doctor.php?pid=20&lang=en

See him at Chula first, if impressed with him but the wait at Chula is too long you can ask him what it costs (approximately) at BCH and at Phyathai

Another options that would certainly cost less than Bumrungrad et al would be: Saint Louis Hospital.  I used to recommend people to see Dr.  Kittichai there but he seems to have left, not sure who is there now  but you could contact the hospital and ask who their cardiac surgeons are)

I do not recommend getting this done upcountry.

If you are in very stable condition (i.e. well enough to fly) then going to India might be an option and would certainly be much less expensive even including air fare etc.

This is all assuming you really mean a CABG procedure and have for some reason determined it is necessary and stents not an option. If by chance you mean stenting that is a whole other matter, different costs, different doctors and I can give specific recs for that.

Good to see that you're still posting helpful info on here Sheryl.

I’m sure that many, like myself, appreciate the first class and truly helpful Information that you always post

Many thanks ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

If you are able to,go to Chonburi heart hospital,it is a govt teaching hospital, prices there are very reasonable ,i know i use it and prices have not risen for foreigners( well not for me at least) 

As he has (foreign) insurance that will cover this up to about 1 million baht he is better off going to one of the nonprofit or midrange priced private hospitals in Bangkok. Would be impossible to arrange direct third party payment to a rural government hospital and might not even be possible to get insurance reimbursement after the fact as rural government hospitals have difficulty meeting western insurance company documentation requirements 

• Like 2