Traffic offenders in Thailand who fail to pay fines may face arrest

snoop1130

I will believe it, when I see it. As of now, there is no central database, and the DMV does not prevent the renewal of either car or bike registrations, nor drivers licenses, or title transfers. Believe me, I know. I have ignored dozens of speeding tickets, that have been sent to us. They go straight into the bin. I cannot abide by, nor respect speed limits of 80 or 90kph, on major highways. That is on them, not me. At least until they get their act together, and centralize the database, which is likely inevitable, at some point. But, it could be another 30 years! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Why not just add it to the car tax !

Aint no dodging that, and clearly visible if you try.Any outstanding fines are collected at the same time or the car is off the road.

have no idea what car tax is, but it sounds a good idea.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Better just wheel clamp the car till they pay the fine. 

While they're speeding?

You do realise that a lot of vehichles are registered old address's / not in the person driving name etc etc.

How do you think they would clamp them?

• Thanks 1

What happened to the national database of traffic offenses and the "new" point system the RTP spoke about last year?  Did they forget about this already?  Or possibly could not implement it ... 

How many currently drive with no valid license and they can't stop this ...

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

That is actually easy to avoid you just put the car in y our wife's name.

That being said it is not a bad idea.

The other point to scare them is that the insurance company will be notified as well.  Depending on the fines not paid insurance will increase.

At least they are trying to do things right.

The methodology may be a little off but the idea is great

Except forthe factthat the ones with themostunpaid fines are usually the ones (especially motorcyclists) who consider insurance a suggestion rather than a requirement, so it still wouldn't be paid. Here's a thought, create a company under contract to the police (preferably staffed by farangs) to visit the homes of non payers and impound their vehicles. You pay the fine you get your motorcycle/Fortuner back,until then you walk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:
5 hours ago, userabcd said:

Quite rightly so, arrest and jail them, all those nonchalantly bragging how they do not pay for their traffic offences as if the law does not apply to them.

Classic Thai Visa "hang em high " post   

Some of the tickets my Wife and I have been issued with are ridiculous. 

The ‘crossing the white line’ fine.... caught on camera - in some (a lot) of areas the white line is placed in a ridiculous location that makes no sense. 

Thus: Before fining people there needs to be some intelligent consistency behind out the roads are laid out and painted.

Some of the white lines I see extended for 100’s of meters and serve no purpose - yet crossing them results in an automatic ticket. 

We have never paid such fines and don’t plan to. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some of the white lines I see extended for 100’s of meters and serve no purpose

and

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

yet crossing them results in an automatic ticket. 

So you have just highlighted the real purpose for them.????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, 2long said:

Amazing Thailand again!

Until now: "Here's a traffic violation fine. There's no recourse if you decide not to pay it."

The future: "Here's a traffic violation fine. You should pay it, or you will be in more trouble." (like the civilized world has been for decades!)

That was my first thought.  

I think there are 2 English phrases that are a good translation of this plan. 

Common Sense

Bloody Obvious

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deli said:

I wish... Thailand would be like 20 years ago again. Nice 'n easy. And not trying to become a bad copy of the Western world.

Did that mean the Internet asit was 20 years ago as well. 

Edited by kimamey

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Why not just add it to the car tax !

Aint no dodging that, and clearly visible if you try.Any outstanding fines are collected at the same time or the car is off the road.

Clearly Visible Eh ?   I just been around to our Local Market and counted 9 Vehicles with out of date Tax; one of them 4 years out of date !    See it every time i go out and meanwhile the so called 'Police' are busy at the Station....Zzzzzzzzzz and couldn't care less.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Clearly Visible Eh ?   I just been around to our Local Market and counted 9 Vehicles with out of date Tax; one of them 4 years out of date !    See it every time i go out and meanwhile the so called 'Police' are busy at the Station....Zzzzzzzzzz and couldn't care less.

So it was clearly visible, you had no trouble finding them did you . Enforcement, which is your point here, well thats an old chestnut that will probablyy never be addressed adequately.

Functioning road speed cameras, all automated . Traffic light cameras.  spot checks for papers, fines not paid , car/ bike confiscated . Good money for the authorities, as it’s not hand to hand. Technology , like other countries have. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tubulat said:

There is only one way to get that money get an apprenticeship with the Dutch government.

If you persist in not paying the fine, they will go to the end including selling your own house.

In the Netherlands there are very few people who do not pay their fine.

Believe it or not, this building this building is solely for the purpose of collecting traffic fines.

CJIB.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some of the tickets my Wife and I have been issued with are ridiculous. 

The ‘crossing the white line’ fine.... caught on camera - in some (a lot) of areas the white line is placed in a ridiculous location that makes no sense. 

Thus: Before fining people there needs to be some intelligent consistency behind out the roads are laid out and painted.

Some of the white lines I see extended for 100’s of meters and serve no purpose - yet crossing them results in an automatic ticket. 

We have never paid such fines and don’t plan to. 

Illegaly crossing the centre line is stupid, you do not know the full reasons why it is there. Many people consider themselves experts, ignore rules and come a cropper when the reason for the rule is demonstrated usually by having an accident. The people on the other side of the line do not expect traffic coming in the opposite direction to cross that line (To overtake?) and will make perfectly reasonable but unexpected manouvers including change of road positioning which puts them in a head on collision with you when you are on their side of the road

24 minutes ago, daejung said:

In Thailand are fines paid on the spot ?

If you pay to the policeman, how can you be sure he will not keep the money ? Is there some kind of official voucher ?

Pay at the police station unless they have set up a table.

"Real" fines always have an official receipt...????

24 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I suppose that you think that that is big and clever ? I seriously hope you have to pay each and everyone of them, that should sting more than just a little bit. Serves you right.

Lol.

I have no problem paying the fines IF ( a BIG if ) it becomes necessary.

I don't think it's big and clever it's just not necessary right now - waste of money.

28 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I suppose that you think that that is big and clever ? I seriously hope you have to pay each and everyone of them, that should sting more than just a little bit. Serves you right.

" i suppose you think that's big and clever"    You are a retired teacher aren't you ?   only they use that condescending turn of phrase