Legal - credit card address

I hope someone can help me with a legal question? 
a friend who has now been in Germany for 3 years has an existing credit card in Thailand. The CC supplier wants to issue a new CC. And he has asked me if he can use my address for the new credit card then he wants me to send the card to him in Germany. 
Are there any potential problems with this?  Suppose he runs up a debt and the defaults?

any legal advice appreciated. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ducatiski said:

a friend

how long do you know this friend? It doesn't sound like it should be a problem,

BUT - you don't really stand much to gain... and since it makes you uncomfortable, it is ok to say no... for me, it might depend on who is asking... 

In the event of his account going into default, you will be hounded, harassed and bullied by debt collectors night and day. They might take possession of your property until you can prove you have nothing to do with the cardholder's unpaid debts, a costly (because of lawyers) and difficult (because of your address being linked to the arrears) process. And when the juice collector asks neighbors about your whereabouts or where you work, you will be the talk of the town.   

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Sounds like he reached the cards expiration date after 3 years. This isn't that uncommon. My family in the US does something similar for me for my credit/debit cards. 

2 hours ago, mvdf said:

In the event of his account going into default, you will be hounded, harassed and bullied by debt collectors night and day. They might take possession of your property until you can prove you have nothing to do with the cardholder's unpaid debts, a costly (because of lawyers) and difficult (because of your address being linked to the arrears) process. And when the juice collector asks neighbors about your whereabouts or where you work, you will be the talk of the town.   

Can you post a reference to someone with the same address being responsible for someone else's debts? If the OP is not a co-signer or married to the friend, it would be extremely strange to have any legal culpability. I'm pretty sure the CC company is not a "juice collector" or loan shark type entity. 

As a third-party, I don't even think the CC company is even allowed to tell you about the debt, nevermind try to collect from you: https://ratchadalawfirm.com/en/thailand-debt-collection-law/

Here is the process to collect an unpaid debt (which you would NOT be a party to): https://mahanakornpartners.com/debt-recovery-practices-in-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a friend, why not ?

Ignore the doom-sayer stating if in default, you'll be responsible for the debt, as that's just silly.

If that was true, nobody would ever lease property.

Mine get sent to my brother in USA, and he forwards them to me.

• Like 1

Thought it was the credit card name and holder who would be responsible for any debt, not the address of an account holder.

While the bills and summons may be delivered to the registered address on the account.

The terms and conditions would maybe describe what the residential address constitutes since it is obvious the card holder does not live/reside there.

• Thanks 1