Please share your experienced re staying in Thai gov't hospital, especially in Chiang Mai

scorecard

Like many farang I don't have full private health insurance. I do have full DVA Australia Gold health card cover (total cover for everything inside of Oz, but outside of Australia only for the specific items listed for my DVA Disability permanent compensation cover). 

I hear regularly that staying in Thai gov't hospitals (pvt room and in ward) is pretty good: room, bed, medical care, bathroom, fridge, food, TV, etc., all quite good. And often plenty of English.

Also heard of some farang who have obtained a paid member card, some providing discounts on room and med care, tests etc. 

On the other hand I've read comments where farang were taken to Thai Gov't hospitals when Ill (ill rather an accident) and we're told that the hospital cannot accept them at all. 

So, would you please share your experiences, any location in Thailand, but especially interested in Chiang Mai area. This post is general in nature and is not focused on Covid 19 matters. 

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Bangkok - my son was born into a government hospital. This was my wife's choice after visiting a few private hospitals. she made her decision based on how well she bonded with the doctor. One doctor turned up 2 hours late to an appointment in a private hospital, and he stunk of whisky. she had caesarian and all was good.

Ive recently had a two day and night stay in the same hospital for hernia repair. No complaints at all. the doctor spoke excellent english and i was well looked after. i was in a ward with 7 other Thai folk and 1 guy in particular made sure i was ok and wanted for nothing - he didnt have to do that.

only issue was the food which was edible but not great.

From experience in Bangkok and reading forum for many years suspect that English ability is mostly among doctors.  As for alternative for private care if financials are not a concern it may be justified for doctors ability but that will come at a cost of queues and waits and in some cases these waits could be life threatening.  In general foreigners can use government hospitals on a pay for service basis (for most things much cheaper than private facilities).  As for housekeeping some can be great - other not so much.  I do not believe I would use again - but have insurance.  That said the larger hospitals should be comfortable enough.

On the whole government hospitals are okay - Most provinces have a larger provincial hospital which tends to be better funded, staffed, equipped. In local towns hospitals are usually busy and under funded and if you stay its a good idea to have someone to bring you in supplies as the food is pretty poor.  They may also not accept some insurances as the staff may not have the knowledge or understanding to deal with the paperwork involved so will just reject it out of hand. - I am guessing you DVA card would fall foul of this. 

Not CM, but inquired at both, govt & private hosp for a surgery (hemerobiids), involving 1 night stay.  Went with private, simply for the room vs private ward, or Qing for a private room at govt hospital.   Apparently a long Q, and strangely, the pricing wasn't that much different. 

Or I might have negotiated it down to almost the same.  Little sketchy on that, as I know I negotiated outpatient procedures down to the govt hospitals charge.  Actually surprised they accepted the offers.

Surgeon making the rounds the next day, told me he could have done the surgery at govt hosp, which I knew he worked both already.  He agreed with my room choice when I pointed out the only reason I went private.

Pop into your choices, and go from there.

It will vary enormously  according to:

- location/hospital level

- whether private rooms are available (they aren't always, and ward rooms upcountry can be rough to say the least)

I know you said Chiang Mai, but maybe be more specific: do you mean Chiang Mai town? And are you considering Sripat as private or government? (it is actually a quasi-private annex to a government hospital)

I have not heard of foreigners being refused admission to government hospitals under normal conditions. It can sometimes happen when  a government hospital has no available bed and the case is not urgent (this was actually common during COVID) but that's about it.  Otherwise, I would question such a story - perhaps the hospital did not think admission was medically necessary, or the patient needed a higher level of care than they could provide and was advised to go elsewhere for that reason.

I also have not heard of any government hospital having "paid member cards", this is something usually limited to private hospitals.

• Like 1

if below 70 you can get Dhipaya Tip Premium for 32k per year (that has 10k deductible). You can carry with them till 80 at higher premium.

My 4 nights at governmental on 6 men public ward room was good, all doctors spoke english. But only one nurse, some senior one but not old, also did. The rest were following written routines. That was only 2k including thai food (I did request vegan on my hospital intake form, but also my wife went to hospital kitchen to talk to her friend there and my portions were great). No fridge, but freezing air con kept my home food (and myself) nearly frozen - it was not possible to adjust temperature.

The same hospital offered me private for 7.5k, but wife would have to be covid tested and would't be able to leave this ward. There do have fridges.

Problem with the governmental hospital they don't do any insurance.

Their ER doctors also good english, but at the outpatient daytime very few nurses speak any, are absent minded and might be rude. Dr appear there rather junior, speak basic or good, some not helpful, probably not well qualified.

Waiting time for ER was 10 minutes (I went there at 10pm, so not many people), the OPD tests almost instant and waiting for results and dr consultation 1-2h. Intake into hospital ward took some 3 hours for paperwork, PCR, even they had empty beds.

For some more serious events I am eyeing the governmental with mahidol university connection (kanchanapisek hospital at salaya), which has rooms from 2500 (needs companion and it have to be female), double for 1600. Plus food 400-600b, nursing daily fees 500b. Has fridge. I hope they will do insurance. Also they have an online registration and appointment system, so looks like they are modern. Some doctors might be junior university lecturers, or at least I can be referred by them to Sirirach hospital profit operated part, where professors are.

Edited by internationalism

My experience with my then English wife was fifteen years ago so what I have to say isn't so current, but for nearly three years we were in and out just about every week including time in a hospital bed. My wife's cancer entailed much radiation and chemotherapy and all staff and Doctors were first class in every way from bedside manner to quality consultations. Costs for the entire period I can't remember but everything was incredibly cheaper than the week she had in RAM, which to be fair included major surgery, but that was covered by medical Insurance.

I am talking about Suan Dok right in Muang Chiang Mai. She was in a private room.

38 minutes ago, jonclark said:

On the whole government hospitals are okay - Most provinces have a larger provincial hospital which tends to be better funded, staffed, equipped. In local towns hospitals are usually busy and under funded and if you stay its a good idea to have someone to bring you in supplies as the food is pretty poor.  They may also not accept some insurances as the staff may not have the knowledge or understanding to deal with the paperwork involved so will just reject it out of hand. - I am guessing you DVA card would fall foul of this. 

Just for clarity re the DVA:

- I don't receive the DVA Service Pension.

- I do receive the DVA Disability Permanent Compensation 4 weekly payment, at the highest level.

- My DVA Gold Health Card covers absolutely everything whilst I'm in Australia with basically no limits, also covers all dental and all transport (ambulance/taxi/whatever).-

- But when I'm outside of outside the DVA cover reduces to:

•  Any health service related to the specific disability items that the DVA has accepted in my case. 
  •  Some Thai hospitals (not Thai gov't hospitals) have an agreement with the DVA (e.g. McCormick and RAM in Chiang Mai). I have been to McCormick they called a hospital admin officer (perfect English, very pleasant look krueng guy), he got details of the medical issue then calls a hotline to the DVA in Hobart (I was in the room in case more details needed) who give an instant answer: Yes they will accept the hospital sending them a bill for reimbursement direct to the hospital,or no they won't.
  • The CM McCormick guy has mentioned they receive reimbursement from the DVA very quickly.

13 minutes ago, internationalism said:

if below 70 you can get Dhipaya Tip Premium for 32k per year (that has 10k deductible). You can carry with them till 80 at higher premium.

My 4 nights at governmental on 6 men public ward room was good, all doctors spoke english. But only one nurse, some senior one but not old, also did. The rest were following written routines. That was only 2k including thai food (I did request vegan on my hospital intake form, but also my wife went to hospital kitchen to talk to her friend there and my portions were great). No fridge, but freezing air con kept my home food (and myself) nearly frozen - it was not possible to adjust temperature.

The same hospital offered me private for 7.5k, but wife would have to be covid tested and would't be able to leave this ward. There do have fridges.

Problem with the governmental hospital they don't do any insurance.

Their ER doctors also good english, but at the outpatient daytime very few nurses speak any, are absent minded and might be rude. Dr appear there rather junior, speak basic or good, some not helpful, probably not well qualified.

Waiting time for ER was 10 minutes (I went there at 10pm, so not many people), the OPD tests almost instant and waiting for results and dr consultation 1-2h. Intake into hospital ward took some 3 hours for paperwork, PCR, even they had empty beds.

For some more serious events I am eyeing the governmental with mahidol university connection (kanchanapisek hospital at salaya), which has rooms from 2500, double for 1600. Plus food 400-600b, nursing daily fees 500b. Has fridge. I hope they will do insurance. Also they have an online registration and appointment system, so looks like they are modern. Some doctors might be junior university lecturers, or at least I can be referred by them to Sirirach hospital profit operated part, where professors are.

Thanks for sharing, you mentioned: '... The same hospital offered me private for 7.5k...'   Was that for 1 night, or 4 nights, or ...?

8 minutes ago, internationalism said:

that was only for 1 night. Nurse at the desk quoted 5k, but later on dr increased it to 7.5k (probably because wife was required with me). On 4 nights stay I have saved 22k

I'm lost: are you saying 7,500Baht per night for room and board at government hospital, for you and your wife?

You also mentioned this saved you 22K Baht. Compared to what?

Edited by scorecard

yes, I have stated that clearly already 2x.

I was happy to pay it, just wife didn;t want to risk covid test and forced stay on the word for many days. 

I was not in serious condition, just needed 12h drip and than also IV antibiotics every 3h.

Private would cost 2-3x higher. Thy surely will charge 10x for medicines.

When at piyavate private hospital for covid they wanted 350b per pill of antiviral, which cost 35b at pharmacy (and in india 4x lower below thai pharmacy). So I refused any treatment

Edited by internationalism

I had the dubious pleasure of 14 days in a Thai provincial hospital, COVID quarantine.

The beds were as hard as a pawnbroker's heart, and I lost 5 kg on what was optimistically called food for a foreigner. I love scrambled eggs, just not getting them 13 days in a row.

I got through it OK, but it's not for the faint-hearted.

Sorry, only overnight hospital stay in Chiang Mai was heart attack. As far as government hospital, only Doi Saket Hospital as a result of skinning myself in a motorcycle fall. In that case, ambulance, wound dressings, tetanus shot, Doctor fee and ambulance back to residence for a total bill of USD $10.00.

I have to disagree with those saying the doctors always speak English. True of most (though not all) doctors in tertiary level hospitals. Not true in all regional and provincial hospitals, to put it mildly.

I have had extensive experience with the regional level government hospital out where I live and have yet to meet a single doctor who speaks any English - and that includes the senior ones in teaching capacity. Literally, not a word.

4 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

My experience with my then English wife was fifteen years ago so what I have to say isn't so current, but for nearly three years we were in and out just about every week including time in a hospital bed. My wife's cancer entailed much radiation and chemotherapy and all staff and Doctors were first class in every way from bedside manner to quality consultations. Costs for the entire period I can't remember but everything was incredibly cheaper than the week she had in RAM, which to be fair included major surgery, but that was covered by medical Insurance.

I am talking about Suan Dok right in Muang Chiang Mai. She was in a private room.

I think by Suan Doc you mean Sripat (many people use the terms interchangably).

This is actually a private annex to a government hospital. And it has in recent years introduced two tier pricing with room rates, especially as high as private hospitals and then some.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have to disagree with those saying the doctors always speak English. True of most (though not all) doctors in tertiary level hospitals. Not true in all regional and provincial hospitals, to put it mildly.

I have had extensive experience with the regional level government hospital out where I live and have yet to meet a single doctor who speaks any English - and that includes the senior ones in teaching capacity. Literally, not a word.

Dr. Sheryl, do you have any comments to share about the very big Nakorn Ping gov't hospital just out of Chiang Mai?

Several years ago a farang told me he had a paid member card for that hospital and it provides some discounts, mostly on room and board. He also mentioned that doctors fees, tests, fee for using equipment were very reasonable, both for member card holders and walk-in foreigners. 

Any comments please?

Further, I did go to this hospital perhaps 5 or 6 years ago when they were eroniosly issuing medical cards to all foreigners. The problem was that the ministerial order said 'foreigners' which was interpreted to mean all foreigners.

In reality the order should have mentioned itinerent foreigners (workers) from adjoinung countries. The several ladies at the front reception desk all spoke good English. I saw 2 or 3doctors and several nurse to have blood test etc., many spoke intermediate English, some spoke advanced English. 

Spent time in Chonburi heart hospital,no private rooms available,but to be honest i liked it on the ward , we all got on great with my little Thai and the other patients little english, a doctor even brought a load of young nurses to practice English on me. But do take your own pillow theirs were like rocks.