Non Immigrant OA Visa - Health Insurance

Hi all, I could use some clarity on the health insurance needed for the OA Visa. The Royal Thai Embassy in Lisbon tells me the insurance must include general illnesses, treatment of covid and sum insured not less than 3,000,000THB. When I contact the insurance companies for a quote they tell me I also need 400,000THB inpatient and 40,000THB outpatient. I think this is the old coverage rules or requirements for O Visa. 
I not planning to arrive in Thailand until October 2022 but I've got to get the application submitted. Any advice or experience with insurance for OA visas? Or even what Health Insurance company you used for an OA visa. Thanks in advance!

On my last year O-A Extension of Stay. Come this time next year, I will have let my Visa lapse. I plan to reenter Visa Exempt and gain an O Visa for reason of Retirement. To all newcomers looking for annual Visas, I recommend avoiding applying for an O-A Visa in your home country. it is pretty obvious that the Kingdom of Thailand does not want you coming in on this Visa. Reasons? I do not know nor comprehend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The insurance company not seem to to understand what you want. They seem to be think you want insurance prior to September 1st to apply for a extension of a old OA visa entry at immigration.

Have you tried any of the companies listed here. https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesoa

Thanks for the link and your help. Yes, these are the companies the Royal Thai Embassy referred me to.  I think you are right about the Sept 1 date, despite me telling them otherwise.

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You should be paying 3 million baht coverage for a new OA visa , 40/400k is the old scheme being phased out, you should not pay both .
From Oct 2019 the 400/40k insurance is required for OA visas and retirement extensions thereof. Last year the 400/40k coverage was increased to 3 million baht , starting Oct 2021 for new OA’s and Sept 2022 for retirement extensions.

I got an OA in 2016 and retirement extensions since then, i use LMG insurance and under the old scheme would pay 7,700 baht ( highest deductible ) later this year but due to the increase in Sept my mandatory insurance from LMG ( again with the highest deductible ) will rise to 26,800 baht .

( for this reason I will change to an O visa in Aug )

LMG remains the cheapest OA insurance imo, here’s a chart for the new insurance coverage premiums .

5038DB68-C0B9-4C43-908A-979F4918FB5A.jpeg.eaeb7b76197a0ca44ca1bc882aa9d072.jpeg

If you wish to continue with LMG contact this person, good English and very helpful.

Kannika Tepbootrdee

[email protected]

Thank you Andrew, this is very helpful.

8 hours ago, drkenchao said:

wonder if there is a way to change OA retire visa to O retire whilst in thailand (ie without exit from thailand and re-enter to apply the O), possibly with help.of an agent

That is not possible. A change from any non immigrant visa category to another one cannot be done while in the country.

It is only possible to change the reason for your extension of stay to another one. For example it is possible to change from a extension based upon retirement that is for a entry from a OA visa to one based upon being married to a Thai which does not require the medical insurance.

23 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

The health insurance policy we purchased from LMG provided coverage THB 3,500,000 per policy per year for Inpatient and THB 60,000 for Outpatient per policy per year.

When does your current policy expire -- presumably on the date your current extension of stay expires. If this is BEFORE Sept 1st, then my understanding is you should still be under the old rules, namely, the 40/400k policy requirement. But maybe, since your new policy, and your new extension of stay, will exend well past Sept 1, 2022 -- maybe LMG is of the understanding that Immigration requires the new 3.5 million coverage rules. And you're saying, I believe, that LMG issued you the new 3.5M policy, even tho' your current policy, and your current extension of stay, don't exceed Sept 1, 2022.

I recently contacted LMG about my renewal of OA policy, which expires Sept 12, 2022, when also does my current extension of stay. I went over all the above concerns, but they just said I can renew my policy 60 days prior to expiration, meaning July13th, well before the Sept 1st new rules. No definitive word on, would my renewal be under the old rules (since it takes place before Sept 1st), or the new, 3.5M rules, since the policy and extension renewal occur past Sept 1st.

Lee4Life's response should give me clarity.

Edited by JimGant

23 hours ago, Wrwest said:

On my last year O-A Extension of Stay. Come this time next year, I will have let my Visa lapse. I plan to reenter Visa Exempt and gain an O Visa for reason of Retirement. To all newcomers looking for annual Visas, I recommend avoiding applying for an O-A Visa in your home country. it is pretty obvious that the Kingdom of Thailand does not want you coming in on this Visa. Reasons? I do not know nor comprehend.

+1

22 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

One change in the OA insurance rules that some seem to forget is that the ‘new’ insurance can be purchased internationally and no longer is limited to the Thai companies.  This must suit many who initially complained bitterly that they already possessed far better overseas insurance whilst being forced to also buy the local ‘worthless’ policies….

I think this only applies to visas obtained at a Thai Consulate, just had a friend of mine try to use an International insurance policy at Rayon Immigration and they refused him, had to purchase another one from the Thai list, and yes he did have the required letter from the Insurance Company, would be interested to hear if anyone has gotten an extension with an International policy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

A week or so ago there was a post on this forum by one of our veteran and sharp posters, NancyL. She mentioned that her husband was going to do a border bounce to come back, without a reentry permit, and get stamped in with a visa exempt entry. Then get an in-country Non Imm O visa, and then get his retirement extension without having the onerous insurance requirement due to his historical OA visa. But, he was told that Chiang Mai Immigration would see through this scheme and thus still require insurance. WOW. Don't know who told him this info (NancyL's postings indicate she and her husband use a facilitating agent), but I'm surprised I have not heard any follow on banter from this posting. Anyway, maybe just a quirk -- or maybe the insurance mafia is seeing revenues dry up with conversions from OA to O visas..... Obviously, this would be big news if true, and if not just in Chiang Mai. Keep your eyes peeled.

I’ve always thought the O retirement visa would suffer the domino effect and also require insurance eventually;  many have argued otherwise, stating the govt will never enforce insurance on the other O classes (marriage/dependant etc) but I suppose we shall just wait and see.  Ironically I fully support an insurance requirement as not to have it is in my view irresponsible but I also believe in choice of provider:  the govt can set the level, and I’ll select the company…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/24/2022 at 5:13 AM, Bogbrush said:

One change in the OA insurance rules that some seem to forget is that the ‘new’ insurance can be purchased internationally and no longer is limited to the Thai companies.  This must suit many who initially complained bitterly that they already possessed far better overseas insurance whilst being forced to also buy the local ‘worthless’ policies….

Apparently some of the same people are complaining now because they never had any insurance to start with ????. My friend have united high deductible health insurance along with his HSA card. I also have the same but I already have a 20-year elite visa so technically I don't need any insurance. My friend switched to agent assisted O-A visa extension for 15K. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

13 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

I’ve always thought the O retirement visa would suffer the domino effect and also require insurance eventually;  many have argued otherwise, stating the govt will never enforce insurance on the other O classes (marriage/dependant etc) but I suppose we shall just wait and see.  Ironically I fully support an insurance requirement as not to have it is in my view irresponsible but I also believe in choice of provider:  the govt can set the level, and I’ll select the company…

I totally agree!

12 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

My friend switched to agent assisted O-A visa extension for 15K.

And what did that get him? Exemption from the 800k in the bank? And/or exemption from the TGIA insurance requirement?

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, JimGant said:

When does your current policy expire -- presumably on the date your current extension of stay expires. If this is BEFORE Sept 1st, then my understanding is you should still be under the old rules, namely, the 40/400k policy requirement. But maybe, since your new policy, and your new extension of stay, will exend well past Sept 1, 2022 -- maybe LMG is of the understanding that Immigration requires the new 3.5 million coverage rules. And you're saying, I believe, that LMG issued you the new 3.5M policy, even tho' your current policy, and your current extension of stay, don't exceed Sept 1, 2022.

I recently contacted LMG about my renewal of OA policy, which expires Sept 12, 2022, when also does my current extension of stay. I went over all the above concerns, but they just said I can renew my policy 60 days prior to expiration, meaning July13th, well before the Sept 1st new rules. No definitive word on, would my renewal be under the old rules (since it takes place before Sept 1st), or the new, 3.5M rules, since the policy and extension renewal occur past Sept 1st.

Lee4Life's response should give me clarity.

We aren't here under an extension of stay based on retirement, we are here on a one year OA retirement visa from the LA Consulate. We extended said visa by exiting the country and returning on the date the visa expired, thereby getting stamped in for one more year, then purchased multiple re-entry permits. While our original insurance plan was for the old requirement of 400,000/40,000, we chose to renew it using the current requirements of 3,500,000 to avoid any problems on re-entry. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

We aren't here under an extension of stay based on retirement, we are here on a one year OA retirement visa from the LA Consulate. We extended said visa by exiting the country and returning on the date the visa expired, 

Yup, you said it yourself in your post!

Your visa has expired you are on permission to stay which you can extend for another year, rinse and repeat.

Has been said many times : You can’t extend your visa .

On 6/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Last year the 400/40k coverage was increased to 3 million baht , starting Oct 2021 for new OA’s and Sept 2022 for retirement extensions.

The increase due from 1 September for existing retirement extensions has, however, yet to be confirmed officially, even though this date is now barely 2 months away. But the Immigration Bureau is presumably straining every sinew to ensure that the necessary Police Order is issued bang on the dot at 23:59:59 on 31 August and not a single second sooner.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, Bogbrush said:

My personal view is that it will not eventually prove to be the original non-imm visa type (OA or O) which will determine whether or not the insurance requirement is to apply but rather the reason given for an extension of stay application. In other words, insurance could be required in all cases where the extension of stay reason is stated as retirement, regardless of whether it was a non-OA or non-O visa that was originally used to gain entry into LOS. On the other hand, I would have thought it highly unlikely that the insurance requirement would ever be extended to those seeking annual extensions for the reason of marriage to a Thai national or other family-related grounds.

Accordingly I fear that retirees who are planning to dump their original non-OA visas by exiting the country without a re-entry permit and returning with a non-O visa issued at a Thai embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country or through a conversion at their local immigration office could find themselves running the risk of eventually still becoming liable to the insurance requirement regardless.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 2:50 AM, Wrwest said:

It's because you get to keep the retirement money in your home country imo.

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, you said it yourself in your post!

Your visa has expired you are on permission to stay which you can extend for another year, rinse and repeat.

Has been said many times : You can’t extend your visa .

It does not matter what you call it, they were able to get another year!

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It does not matter what you call it, they were able to get another year!

My point was , that the “2nd year from an OA visa “ ( as it is often called) is not another year of OA visa or an extension of, it is 12 months of permission to stay tucked in between the actual visa and an extension and the only benefit is that during this year (  plus the initial OA year ) no financial requirements are needed to be kept in a Thai bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My point was , that the “2nd year from an OA visa “ ( as it is often called) is not another year of OA visa or an extension of, it is 12 months of permission to stay tucked in between the actual visa and an extension and the only benefit is that during this year (  plus the initial OA year ) no financial requirements are needed to be kept in a Thai bank.

"tucked between the actual visa and an extension" ? That doesn't make sense, I'm not applying for an extension, which technically is called "an extension to stay". The only way I knew this method of "extension" is that the immigration Officers told me about it.

And the benefit is not just keeping money in a Thai bank. The benefit of getting the extra year on a one year O-A Visa is not having to do the additional paperwork a new visa or extension of stay requires, and on top of that is less expensive than either a new O-A or an extension of stay based on retirement. (basically the price of a trip across the border and back and a re-entry permit). 

Call it what you want, but it can't be done without the original O-A Visa, so I'll call it an extension of that.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, JimGant said:

he was told that Chiang Mai Immigration would see through this scheme and thus still require insurance.

I don't believe this ,  it sounds like I heard it from a friend of a friend type post ...   Lol

scaremongering perhaps.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1