RTP message to tourists flooding back: We're gonna impress you and make you feel all fuzzy inside

webfact

39 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

No different than any other country.  Don't believe me go to Vegas or Toronto buy something in the tourist zone then go into the locals store's 

Yep, same at Melbourne airport. I selected a nice looking sandwich, then realized it was 3 times the typical cost in a local coffee shop.

PLUS, I discovered the sandwich in the bag was hard frozen. I said 'No, I want something to eat right now, I'm hungry'. Airport sales girl 'Never mind only a couple of hours to thaw out'.

'No thanks, I want the one from the display, all thawed out and IT looks fresh'.

'Cannot, that's only for display', 

8 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Its a developing country its always improving. However with the regeneration of island habitats over last 2  Years its never been better.  Why would 30 million stop coming here all of a sudden. Can you be specific because sorry your making no sense. That's an unbelievable drop by your calcs

I'm assume your comparing it to SEA And not first world. 

no where in SEA changed in last 2 years so are the others doomed as well 

1. None of the issues existing before Covid were ever addressed. Typical Thai style. These goons in charge won't take responsibility for anything. 

2. Many economies have been devastated, and Thailand's tourist base of primarily lower income Indians, Chinese and Malaysians were hardest hit. 

3. Thailand cannot and will not attract wealthy or even affluent tourists, for a dozen good reasons. No sacrifices are being made, to make Thailand more appealing to them. 

4. Thailand is a nation in reverse. It is moving backwards, and represents the polar opposite of progress on countless levels. It is simply NOT becoming a better version of itself. The environment, traffic and public safety, horrific law enforcement, corruption, air quality, etc. Add to that heinous luxury and wine taxes, and you have an environment wealthy tourists avoid like the plague. 

5. You cannot shut down the entire tourism industry for nearly 2 years, decimate the nightlife, hotels, restaurants and countless related businesses, engage in a very poorly planned vaccination program, create a climate of fear and panic, and then just expect because you open your doors again, millions will flood in. The world does not work like that. 

6. Thailand is NOT the center of the known universe. It is becoming less relevant by the minute. Tourists are forgetting Thailand. Thailand needs foreigners 100x more than they need Thailand. 

7. The pasteurization and homogenization of Thai culture does not help. That is not what tourists want. Thailand will never be Monaco or Singapore. 

I could go on and on and on. The goons just do not get it. At all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

1. None of the issues existing before Covid were ever addressed. Typical Thai style. These goons in charge won't take responsibility for anything. 

2. Many economies have been devastated, and Thailand's tourist base of primarily lower income Indians, Chinese and Malaysians were hardest hit. 

3. Thailand cannot and will not attract wealthy or even affluent tourists, for a dozen good reasons. No sacrifices are being made, to make Thailand more appealing to them. 

4. Thailand is a nation in reverse. It is moving backwards, and represents the polar opposite of progress on countless levels. It is simply NOT becoming a better version of itself. The environment, traffic and public safety, horrific law enforcement, corruption, air quality, etc. Add to that heinous luxury and wine taxes, and you have an environment wealthy tourists avoid like the plague. 

5. You cannot shut down the entire tourism industry for nearly 2 years, decimate the nightlife, hotels, restaurants and countless related businesses, engage in a very poorly planned vaccination program, create a climate of fear and panic, and then just expect because you open your doors again, millions will flood in. The world does not work like that. 

6. Thailand is NOT the center of the known universe. It is becoming less relevant by the minute. Tourists are forgetting Thailand. Thailand needs foreigners 100x more than they need Thailand. 

7. The pasteurization and homogenization of Thai culture does not help. That is not what tourists want. Thailand will never be Monaco or Singapore. 

I could go on and on and on. The goons just do not get it. At all.

Fair enough some good points however point number 2 is most relevant and the Chinese will return and that's all thailand needs in the short term. 

The rest was all there during mass tourism.  Tourists don't care about politics or corruption road deaths or human rights. 

Tourist like a bit of 3rd world color and are not scared off by the pot holes in pattaya. 

Many points you bring up are more to do with domestic issue's

It will recover no doubt but not this year but will increase untilled saturation before year 5

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

You mean the female ones may be ladyboys and have ulterior motives ?

What  makes a police officer smile?  Welcoming tourists and providing excellent customer service?  If that is the case then takeaway my firearm, handcuffs, and ASP Baton.  This PR campaign will last about a week and then business as usual.  I used to hear this line all the time “be more like Officer Friendly”.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That would be a novelty .......

regards Worgeordie

Hahaha - Step up to the entry booth - 2,000 smiling Immigration official swoop in to surround you - wow! Heart attack time! 

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Are talking about the deep South only, because that's the only place any terrorist bombs have gone off although strictly speaking they're not either as it is the insurgents down there.

Didn't one off in Bangkok a few years back at the Temple area on Sukhumvit? 

4 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

Isn't that just sweet and luverly.  It's made my day.All of you who have made not nice comments should be ashamed of yourselves.

Hey that's the passport officer when I arrived at New Delhi airport.

At first I thought it was an automated smiling howdy doody doll, then ...

3 hours ago, Nabby said:

It's so great the the Chinese aren't allowed out of their wretched country. 

The way things are going, it will be easy enough soonto make the same comment about the US - wretched country awash with firearms and shootings of little kids and awash with politicians who are habitual serious liars. And awash with large amounts of corruption.  Oh sorry they're called lobbyists.

6 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Didn't one off in Bangkok a few years back at the Temple area on Sukhumvit? 

Yes but was not designated a terrorist act, rather a reprisal for the stance Thailand took on Uyghurs.  There was actual 2 more prior to that one , Siam BTS and somewhere else I can't remember which were attributed to the political unrest.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Excel said:

Its a great hoot but seriously , now that everything seems legal I guess Prikpot and many other companies could rent space in arrivals and sell cannabis. Bet it is less fattening then the garbage from the likes of Dunkin Donuts etc.

I like your thinking, but buying some won't happen if my wife is with me! ????

• Haha 1

I would strongly suggest good Sir, that before making these policies that you check with your crew first. Whilst getting tourists back will certainly refill you & your subordinates wallets 

cracking a smile to fulfill same is maybe just pushing the barrow a bit too much

11 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Meanwhile at immigration offices nationwide the same miserable mob will continue in their pursuit of the most annoyingly pedantic style to all that dare to disturb them.

Are you talking bout Jomtien ??

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I was shocked in China when a police officer came up to me and welcomed me to his country.

In America when a police officer does that, they're not going to welcome you. ????

He mustve been new or thoght you were Harrison Ford, we all look like Ford to them! If we have hair!

Most Chines cops I've had trash TWO pages of my Passport (why cant they stamp right on their own bloody visa? They run a pen through it on arrival, so...leave my clean pages alone!) And if they smiled their ass crack would fuse over.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

A deputy commander of the Royal Thai Police said that the force's many long arms would be embracing the arrival of foreign tourists and making them feel super welcome.

Yeah we all saw the example played out on a Pattaya beach.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

With the help of the "I lert u" app and the 1155 hotline (30 lines no less) tourists can report any difficulties and get an instant response

Last time I needed police help 11pm on a Sat night, and used that number, all I got was ''Line Busy, line busy'' so I contacted the local cops who turned up the next day ! My wife and I had been attacked by 5 people up a quite road, luckily we managed to drive away, on our old M/C.

10 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

You don't have to stay here if you don't like it. Oh, wait, it's complaining about everything that you enjoy best. Well, I hope you're happy in your misery.

He's just calling spades spades Jim. Now who's complaining ?

• Like 1