How to auction our property

Hi guys,

me and my gf want to sell off our property and leave Thailand for good, but as our property is on a remote island we experienced not a lot of interest for it, the global financial situation is not helping either.

We are ready to sell it for under-market-value, we just want to have it off our feet and be ready to leave Thailand tomorrow.

Is there any way to voluntarily auction property in Thailand, with a fixed minimum-value?

Any information that would help us is highly appreciated, thank you.

Well acces to it, if it is as remote as you say will play a large part in what you can realistically achieve. However it may be worth pm-ing some of the posters on here whom by their own statements appear to be in the league of the ultra wealthy so hence an isolated property may well suit their lifestyle.

16 minutes ago, MJCM said:

No idea, but do post some info in here:

https://aseannow.com/forum/73-thailand-accommodation-finding-forum/

And maybe someone on here could be interested.

Well, it is worth a try:

Anyway, I am not really in the mood for months of visits and stuff, so I would still prefer the auction way.

So if anyone got information on that, please let me know. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sounds like a difficult auction as surely people will need time to venture there and see it... then you need 2 people who want it when it sounds like you are having difficulty finding one... 

If you are being realistic w/the price then you should find a buyer... too often, people here expect a big profit as they might have had in their home country... 

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Sounds like a difficult auction as surely people will need time to venture there and see it... then you need 2 people who want it when it sounds like you are having difficulty finding one... 

If you are being realistic w/the price then you should find a buyer... too often, people here expect a big profit as they might have had in their home country... 

We are offering cheaper than we bought it and on top we made a lot of renovations, when we bought it we had just one story, no garden house, no stair down to the beach and so on.

We reduced the price from 14.400.000 to 10.900.000 THB already, Fazwaz valued the property at 13.400.000 THB.

When selling via an auction we could attract people who have more patience in selling it than us, who just want to snap it cheap and sell it more expensive later.

I would guess there should be lots of (pretend to be) property agents out there who want that commission.

Personally I would try to inform as many agents as possible about this. I am sure some of them know people who want to buy something like that.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I would guess there should be lots of (pretend to be) property agents out there who want that commission.

Personally I would try to inform as many agents as possible about this. I am sure some of them know people who want to buy something like that.

Well in all seriousness I bet there are a lot of dodgy characters Brits/Russians/Mongolians/American Republicans  who would love to have a pretty isolated place like that

26 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well in all seriousness I bet there are a lot of dodgy characters Brits/Russians/Mongolians/American Republicans  who would love to have a pretty isolated place like that

Really?

I think many of us dreamed at some time about living on a remote island in beautiful nature and all that.

But then, if we even try something similar for a week or two, we find out that it's nice to have a 7/11 next door. And it's also nice to be able to chose between the nice Japanese restaurant and that 5 star hotel buffet or 20 other options around the corner. And then there is obviously also the question of: what do I do tonight?

Living is a remote place is exactly that, remote. I am sure some people like it. But I am also sure for many it's good for a weekend but not much longer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I think many of us dreamed at some time about living on a remote island in beautiful nature and all that.

But then, if we even try something similar for a week or two, we find out that it's nice to have a 7/11 next door. And it's also nice to be able to chose between the nice Japanese restaurant and that 5 star hotel buffet or 20 other options around the corner. And then there is obviously also the question of: what do I do tonight?

Living is a remote place is exactly that, remote. I am sure some people like it. But I am also sure for many it's good for a weekend but not much longer.

I agree but a bolt hole for crooks need to be out of sight and I ma sure that there are a lot of dodgy characters living in places like Phuket right now

Edited by Excel

Only time I see regular auction for property is from Bank/court ordered repossession, there's plenty of flippers ready to pay, do it up and sell it for profit, not sure if the banks/auctioneers will list your property for a fee though, at least there seem to be a stigma attached with auctioned property in Thailand, most are sold unseen condition

At least talk with your local bank manager, most are always ready to find you a buyer for a commission

31 minutes ago, Excel said:

I agree but a bolt hole for crooks need to be out of sight and I ma sure that there are a lot of dodgy characters living in places like Phuket right now

I agree

But out of sight is relative. Do you need an island for yourself 100km away from anybody else?

Or is a villa behind big walls good enough - even if a kilometer away there is everything?

• Like 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree

But out of sight is relative. Do you need an island for yourself 100km away from anybody else?

Or is a villa behind big walls good enough - even if a kilometer away there is everything?

Guess an island would afford the luxury of having your own fast boat berthed on your doorstep for a quick getaway if needed. Well until the Thai submarines are out on patrol with the sailor boys rowing like <deleted> because they still don't have engines.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarAway said:

We are offering cheaper than we bought it and on top we made a lot of renovations, when we bought it we had just one story, no garden house, no stair down to the beach and so on.

We reduced the price from 14.400.000 to 10.900.000 THB already, Fazwaz valued the property at 13.400.000 THB.

When selling via an auction we could attract people who have more patience in selling it than us, who just want to snap it cheap and sell it more expensive later.

That's a good start, I hope you get your price.. it sounds lovely - I don't think this is an auction culture and I don't know where you might go to advertise an auction... I was an auctioneer for a while and you need a crowd.. though you really just need 2 people who want it... it does not sound like the way to go here... you just need 1 buyer...

I bought near CM a few years ago and those are nearly the exact same figures. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

Agree, it's a hard sell for remote locations, and this house looks a bit cheap and rundown for that price. Few foreigners would want to live there, so it should be aimed at the Thai market.

Edited by BritManToo

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agree, it's a hard sell for remote locations, and this house looks a bit cheap and rundown for that price. Few foreigners would want to live there, so it should be aimed at the Thai market.

Nice location but electrical wires ducted along walls and ceiling's always screams cheap to me.  

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah cannot deny it, was not too happy with the house before I bought it as well.

You should have seen it before I bought it, it was really Thai Style hahah.

But right now it is very livable, we renovated a lot and made it from a 4/10 to a 7.5/10 I would say.

The location is just awesome and what it makes priceless, I am still loving the view each and every day. Going down to the beach, taking the SUP and going out on the ocean. Later taking care of the garden. Damn, I will miss it lol. But will not miss Thailand, so it needs to go.

But yeah, took the not perfect house and the remote location and all of that into consideration already, that is why we are selling for the price of the land, as our asking price is what you would pay for 2 rai of the uncleared land right next to our house.

Edited by FarAway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Only time I see regular auction for property is from Bank/court ordered repossession, there's plenty of flippers ready to pay, do it up and sell it for profit, not sure if the banks/auctioneers will list your property for a fee though, at least there seem to be a stigma attached with auctioned property in Thailand, most are sold unseen condition

At least talk with your local bank manager, most are always ready to find you a buyer for a commission

Good idea, I will try.

8 hours ago, FarAway said:

Damn, I will miss it lol. But will not miss Thailand, so it needs to go.

What is so bad about Thailand that you want to (or have to) leave?

I would imagine that if you live in such a remote location you don't see much of Thailand. Maybe you have to go to the administration one or max a few times a year. But what is that compared to 360 happy days on the beach?