The REAL EV vehicle discussion thread.....

transam

20 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Disagree. The technology is getting there but right now it isnt there. If you was driving from say Bangkok to Chiang Mai charging could add several hours onto your journey. Maybe you are happy with that but I certainly wouldnt be and I am sure many others wouldnt be either.

Actually, as @KhunLAalready pointed out, a real world experience of driving this route in an EV (an MG ZS, at it happens) that was posted recently on YouTube, proved that you can do it in almost exactly the same time as the Google Maps estimate for an ICE.

And as I said when that video was posted before, in another thread, the time taken in an EV in real world conditions was:

"Actually only 43 minutes extra, and don't forget that Google Maps estimates are based on driving the entire route without a single stop. Even in an ICE car you'd be hard pressed to do it without something like an additional 3/4 hour (or more) for refueling, food, bathroom breaks etc."

Here's a link to that video, in case you want to check it out for yourself.

https://youtu.be/Ypf_J0PAUuw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Actually, as @KhunLAalready pointed out, a real world experience of driving this route in an EV (an MG ZS, at it happens) that was posted recently on YouTube, proved that you can do it in almost exactly the same time as the Google Maps estimate for an ICE.

And as I said when that video was posted before, in another thread, the time taken in an EV in real world conditions was:

"Actually only 43 minutes extra, and don't forget that Google Maps estimates are based on driving the entire route without a single stop. Even in an ICE car you'd be hard pressed to do it without something like an additional 3/4 hour (or more) for refueling, food, bathroom breaks etc."

THANKS ... real world experiences vs the BS of the biased anti crowd or at best, ignorance.

Yet to read or see any MG owners or even YT reviewers, crying about the MG EVs.  Most praising them as a wise choice, if going that route.

Those are the people I base my decision on, MG owners.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, transam said:

Thank you, still didn't understand the last bit though..

"Info on can bus tool read"...

CAN is short for ‘controller area network’. Controller area network is an electronic communication bus defined by the ISO 11898 standards. Those standards define how communication happens, how wiring is configured and how messages are constructed, among other things. Collectively, this system is referred to as a CAN bus.

The CAN Bus Protocol Tutorial

CAN bus technology is widely used in modern motor vehicles, whether ICE or EV.

52 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If you need that many toilet stops I suggest you see a doctor

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

Travel with my wife & dog, and my seemingly grapefruit size prostate, and with the best of luck, our nature calls happen at the same time.

Not that the wife doesn't have to stop within the 1st hour of leaving the house.  And I thought I was the negative in this equation. ????

14 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

On a 9 hour journey, a total of 3/4 of an hour for a combination of refueling, food and bathroom breaks seems excessive to you?

Really?

I don't know what your family are like but for us, on a 9 hour car journey we would spend at least an hour on breaks for food alone.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

On a 9 hour journey, a total of 3/4 of an hour for a combination of refueling, food and bathroom breaks seems excessive to you?

Really?

Seems all drivers in Thailand are endurance drivers.  45 mins after 4 hours on Thai roads is and extremely welcomed stop.  Toilet, munch, stretch the legs.

Something they recommend when flying on planes, but seems taboo for the anti-EV crowd.  Go figure.

My brother & I did speed endurance, Delray Beach (Ft. Laud area), to Philly, 1850 kms in < 16 hours.  Not for the faint of heart.   Luckily, Thailand is actually too small to spend that much time in a vehicle, unless truly trying.

image.png.58a4877968402747bc006c8ff499430f.png

Edited by KhunLA

18 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's only true if your driving habits match the parameters of the WLTP testing protocol.

As this thread points out that WLTP

This has been replaced by WLTP. It gives a more realistic measure of range

When people are doing their research on EV's they need to aware if Brand A is providing their figures based on the WLTP testing protocol. and Brand B is providing their figures based on NEDC testing  protocol

The NEDC figures will be higher but will they be accurate in that if you test drive both vehicles will they go the full distance

As we have already seen on this thread car manufacturers are using the outdated  NEDC testing  protocol and the WLTP testing protocol for same car, same battery

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seems all drivers in Thailand are endurance drivers.  45 mins after 4 hours on Thai roads is and extremely welcomed stop.  Toilet, munch, stretch the legs.

Something they recommend when flying on planes, but seems taboo for the anti-EV crowd.  Go figure.

My brother & I did speed endurance, Delray Beach (Ft. Laud area), to Philly, 1850 kms in < 16 hours.  Not for the faint of heart.   Luckily, Thailand is actually too small to spend that much time in a vehicle, unless truly trying.

Over a four hour drive, with an ICEV I can stop three, four or even five times anywhere I want to toilet, snack or buy fuel in the same forty-five minutes required charge your EV at whatever charge station you choose to use. 

I routinely drive 700km around without having to fuel, and I would bet I could go over 800km. 

Edited by Yellowtail
ww
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Over a four hour drive, with an ICEV I can stop three, four or even five times anywhere I want to toilet, snack or buy fuel in the same forty-five minutes required charge your EV at whatever charge station you choose to use. 

I routinely drive 700km around without having to fuel, and I would bet I could go over 800km. 

What is your point ?  I can get 450-500 maybe, out of the ZS (ICE), but cost 1500 baht.  The EV should get 350+ kms driving the same, and cost <250 baht via PEA, or free via my solar.  

Fair trade, and I don't need to stop at PTT, just plug in when at home.  Over the road driving, about the same, except will need to plug in at guesthouse, possibly free, or at daughter's house (free).

Not seeing any negatives for us.   Actually ALL positives.

I have no desire to be on the road for 700 kms straight, or even 400 kms.  Around town, ICE vs EV is irrelevant, and all pluses to the EV, cost & convenience.

Edited by KhunLA

13 hours ago, seedy said:

EV Share Of China Passenger Car Market More Than Tripled To Nearly 19% In October

China, home to the world’s auto market, is also the global leader in sales and production of electric vehicles...

Deliveries of electric vehicles more than doubled by 141% in October to 320,000 units, state-run China Daily said Saturday, citing China Passenger Car Association figures.  Nearly 19 of every 100 passenger cars sold in the country last month were EVs, including plug-in hybrids. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2021/11/13/ev-share-of-china-passenger-car-market-more-than-tripled-to-nearly-19-in-october/?sh=6e842faa2c21

EV sales rising ahead of schedule in EU & UK, predicted to overtake gasoline vehicles by 2025

Efforts by automakers and legislators overseas appear to be paying off, as a new study found that consumers’ transition to all-electric vehicles in the EU and UK is “inevitable.” Due to commitments from automakers, tighter regulations on CO2 emissions, and a decline in overall costs of EVs, sales across Europe are expected to surpass those of ICE vehicles in the next three years.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/ev-sales-rising-ahead-of-schedule-in-eu-uk-predicted-to-overtake-gasoline-vehicles-by-2025/

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What is your point ?  I can get 450-500 maybe, out of the ZS (ICE), but cost 1500 baht.  The EV should get 350+ kms driving the same, and cost <250 baht via PEA, or free via my solar.  

Fair trade, and I don't need to stop at PTT, just plug in when at home.  Over the road driving, about the same, except will need to plug in at guesthouse, possibly free, or at daughter's house (free).

Not seeing any negatives for us.   Actually ALL positives.

I have no desire to be on the road for 700 kms straight, or even 400 kms.  Around town, ICE vs EV is irrelevant, and all pluses to the EV, cost & convenience.

KhunLA.... how would you go about the trip if you went to somewhere such as Koh Samet or Koh Chang (from Bangkok).

I imagine Koh Chang may be easier - Is 330km range doable in your EV  ??

One would also have to check with the destination hotel that they have a ‘plug in’ for the EV. I imagine many now do, but that may take a little extra research which booking - this will of course become the norm.

But Koh Samet - a 200km drive to the pier. The car is left in a rather rudimentary car-park without any charge stations etc..

Thus... what are the options there ?

I already saw that many hotels in Hua Hin had charge stations... of course, they either had EV’s in them already, or idiots had parked in the space (as they do in disabled spaces here) - which lends to another potential hassle I suppose... ensuring we get an EV charge spot (if they are limited). 

• Like 2

3 reasons why we shouldn't listen to today EV Drivers

https://www.field-dynamics.co.uk/we-shouldnt-listen-to-early-ev-adopters/

“1,000kms in a breeze:” CATL unveils new Qilin EV battery with incredible specs

Expected to begin mass production and reach the market in 2023, Qilin has already racked up its first customers, with Chinese electric vehicle start-ups Li Auto and Hozon New Energy Automobile already signing on to purchase the battery for its vehicles.

https://thedriven.io/2022/06/28/1000kms-in-a-breeze-catl-unveils-new-qilin-ev-battery-with-incredible-specs/

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

KhunLA.... how would you go about the trip if you went to somewhere such as Koh Samet or Koh Chang (from Bangkok).

I imagine Koh Chang may be easier - Is 330km range doable in your EV  ??

One would also have to check with the destination hotel that they have a ‘plug in’ for the EV. I imagine many now do, but that may take a little extra research which booking - this will of course become the norm.

But Koh Samet - a 200km drive to the pier. The car is left in a rather rudimentary car-park without any charge stations etc..

Thus... what are the options there ?

I already saw that many hotels in Hua Hin had charge stations... of course, they either had EV’s in them already, or idiots had parked in the space (as they do in disabled spaces here) - which lends to another potential hassle I suppose... ensuring we get an EV charge spot (if they are limited). 

Totally irrelevant for us, as we see no need to leave the mainland (by boat).

Been to Samui & Chang, and you couldn't give me a free holiday to return.

Since tourist have returned, can't see going to Phuket in the future either.

Would never go to Samet, dual pricing & just no interest.  Leaving car on mainland, not an issue, why would it be.  

Samui surely has plenty, and top up before going to Chang which (has CSs) would surely be enough, as the island is too small to do that much driving.  Your examples are not well thought out.  

You should have said getting to Umphang, now that would be a challenge.

Research, takes all of 1 minute, neither complicated or stressful.

Peek at my signature ... ????

9 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

It's so funny how the submissive obedient people invest in EV... certainly the same kind who believe that some "vaccines" saved their life...

I guess that most of you don't even understand that the benefit from EV is so little compared to gasoline...

Which is why I refrain from posting here - more or less.

The EV Fanatics, Zealots, call them what you will ...

Reminds me of Jehovah Witness members knocking on my door.

Can't talk to them either - zoned out zombies (they must drive EV's !!! 555)

Where I get my cars serviced they have a customer who has been waiting 2.5 months for parts for his MG !!! 555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Totally irrelevant for us, as we see no need to leave the mainland (by boat).

Been to Samui & Chang, and you couldn't give me a free holiday to return.

You've bypassed the questions with a myopic response that they are not relevant to you..

This discussion is about EV’s... the question was presented as a ‘what to do’... ‘how does it work’ type scenario and are thus valid to the subject matter of how convenient is an EV, especially in Thailand. 

Since tourist have returned, can't see going to Phuket in the future either.

Completely irrelevant to the topic, others may do. So if we are discussing EV’s and how convenient they may or may not be in Thailand whether or not you like to visit Samet, Koh Chang or Phuket is somewhat irrelevant. 

Would never go to Samet, dual pricing & just no interest.  Leaving car on mainland, not an issue, why would it be.  

I think it would be. I don’t know where to leave an EV on the mainland to charge while visiting an island. 

This could be an issue with EV’s (whether you want to go to Samet or not is somewhat beside the point).

i.e. Would driving 200km BKK to Samet Pier, leaving the car for 5 nights (at the pier car park / no plug in) and then driving return 200km to BKK all be feasible on one charge ?

Would we have to stop off on the way back for an hour to charge up the battery ?

Samui surely has plenty, and top up before going to Chang which (has CSs) would surely be enough, as the island is too small to do that much driving.  Your examples are not well thought out.  

The examples are real-world scenarios... I wasn’t trying to think up something to catch you out, I was looking to see how practical an EV would be, or what the pitfalls might be and how to get around them on trips I make a few times per year.

You should have said getting to Umphang, now that would be a challenge.

An example you can add.... but, I’m not trying to ‘create a challenge’... just work out real world use. 

Research, takes all of 1 minute, neither complicated or stressful.

Peek at my signature ... ????

Certainly not stressful, I enjoy researching trips..

But, do hotels advertise that they have charging stations ?.... do they advertise that you can plug in your EV to their mains ? do they advertise charing rates ?

Do you need to bring a long extension cable to plug in your EV over night?

All the practical things... I have no idea as I have never had an EV. 

15 minutes ago, LosLobo said:
2 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

It's so funny how the submissive obedient people invest in EV... certainly the same kind who believe that some "vaccines" saved their life...

I guess that most of you don't even understand that the benefit from EV is so little compared to gasoline...

I think it's somewhat sad and paradoxical how conspiracy theorists and purveyors of misinformation regularly push this "sheepeole" ideology when in fact they are the one's who are being submissive, obedient and mislead.

People want to see what they want to see and add their own spin accordingly.

Are EV’s as convenient as ICE’s ???...  I don’t think so (not yet anyway).

Are EV’s cheaper to run than ICE’s ???.... I think so (but the battery replacement discussion is interesting).

Are EV’s more expense to buy than the equivalent ICE’s ???.... Yes (at the moment).

Are EV’s more environmentally friendly than ICE’s ???....  Big picture, I don’t think so. 

Are EV’s cleaner in than ICE’s ???....  I think so, definitely and thats an advantage for the cities.

Would I get an EV. IF they were the same cost for the same standard of car, definitely. 

Do I see EV’s being more expensive to run and charge in future ?... Yes, the governments need to recoup the tax loss from fuel (ICE’s) somehow. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I think it's somewhat sad and paradoxical how conspiracy theorists and purveyors of misinformation regularly push this "sheepeole" ideology when in fact they are the one's who are being submissive, obedient and mislead.

No doubt by the Evil oil companies. Everyone with any sense knows the World is quickly transitioning away from fossil fuels, and and at the rate it's going, they will be a thing of the past inside of ten years. 

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've bypassed the questions with a myopic response that they are not relevant to you..

This discussion is about EV’s... the question was presented as a ‘what to do’... ‘how does it work’ type scenario and are thus valid to the subject matter of how convenient is an EV, especially in Thailand. 

Completely irrelevant to the topic, others may do. So if we are discussing EV’s and how convenient they may or may not be in Thailand whether or not you like to visit Samet, Koh Chang or Phuket is somewhat irrelevant. 

I think it would be. I don’t know where to leave an EV on the mainland to charge while visiting an island. 

This could be an issue with EV’s (whether you want to go to Samet or not is somewhat beside the point).

i.e. Would driving 200km BKK to Samet Pier, leaving the car for 5 nights (at the pier car park / no plug in) and then driving return 200km to BKK all be feasible on one charge ?

Would we have to stop off on the way back for an hour to charge up the battery ?

The examples are real-world scenarios... I wasn’t trying to think up something to catch you out, I was looking to see how practical an EV would be, or what the pitfalls might be and how to get around them on trips I make a few times per year.

An example you can add.... but, I’m not trying to ‘create a challenge’... just work out real world use. 

Certainly not stressful, I enjoy researching trips..

But, do hotels advertise that they have charging stations ?.... do they advertise that you can plug in your EV to their mains ? do they advertise charing rates ?

Do you need to bring a long extension cable to plug in your EV over night?

All the practical things... I have no idea as I have never had an EV. 

Actually answered the 'what if' scenarios, you simply chose not to read or understand it. 

Repeat ... top up before going to Chang, has CSs, Samui has CSs, Samet doesn't matter, wouldn't go or take car there.  Simply leave on mainland, no issue with that.  Don't know why you think there would be.  Not like the battery is going to die if sitting there a month.

Repeat ... nowhere in TH is inaccessible (except Umphang, maybe) with an EV that has 300ish kms range.  All your 'what ifs' and excuses not to have an EV are silly.  If minor planning is too much, then I feel sorry for you, as nobody should be that stupid.  Can travel around the world, but can't find a CS.  Seriously going to put that out there.

So please don't ask me again for stupid answers to stupid question.

Come back with some relevant (especially to ME) issues or with actual meaning, because not 1 yet has any weight to it.

Pertaining to TH ONLY, if directed at me.   THANK YOU

Don't care about EVs in USA, UK, EU, OZ, CH, or issue with the grid, price, CSs there.  Or about vehicles that aren't available here, or silly 2+mill baht imports, few will ever buy.  Battery swapping for cars is not a reality in our lifetime, or probably this century.   

Don't care about people who can't charge at home ... yes, don't buy.

Don't care about people too impatient to charge up on the road or think driving for more than 4 hours on Thai roads is fun and won't take breaks.  Yea, you shouldn't buy.

If you don't own, or plan on buying ... does beg to ask ... why are you even commenting ?  That's your right of course, as is mine to ignore your silly A$$.????

Actually enjoy the discussion, when it actually is.  

Edited by KhunLA

59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually answered the 'what if' scenarios, you simply chose not to read or understand it. 

Or I wanted further clarification from someone who is an owner and can answer real-world scenarios I would find myself in IF I were to become an EV owner. 

Repeat ... top up before going to Chang, has CSs, Samui has CSs, Samet doesn't matter, wouldn't go or take car there.  Simply leave on mainland, no issue with that.  Don't know why you think there would be.  Not like the battery is going to die if sitting there a month.

Thats why I asked... I don’t own an EV, I don’t know if there is battery drain or not - Does your car have a 400km range? or is that cutting it too close - do you prefer to leave 100kms in the back-pocket... weather variation, temperature changes etc? how much impact does that have to the battery (i.e. using more AC etc).

So, as per your answer. 200kms drive there. Sit the car there for 3-4 days. Drive 200kms back. No issues - or is there ?

I’ve watched a lot of vids in the UK about real world EV use, most seem to highlight difficulties (I know you don’t care about the UK... but that can be an indication of how things may be here, i.e. with many charging stations out of order, or in use with a 1 hr wait until the next one is ready etc).

Repeat ... nowhere in TH is inaccessible (except Umphang, maybe) with an EV that has 300ish kms range.  All your 'what ifs' and excuses not to have an EV are silly. 

Asking a question for a real world scenario may seem silly to you. I don’t know anything about EV’s, hence the question. Is it feasible to drive 200kms, park up (no charge station) and drive 200kms back - if the range is only 300km, I’d need to charge on the way (1 hr added to the journey ?).

If minor planning is too much, then I feel sorry for you, as nobody should be that stupid. 

Minor planning???... I asked your advice...   why do you feel the need to turn into a d!ck in every discussion that is held on this forum ?....     You are the one experienced with EV’s... is answering a few questions too hard ?

Can travel around the world, but can't find a CS.  Seriously going to put that out there.

No-one can travel around the world in an EV without major issues...  you’re being silly - thats not a real world scenario. 

So please don't ask me again for stupid answers to stupid question.

Come back with some relevant (especially to ME) issues or with actual meaning, because not 1 yet has any weight to it.

I won’t ask you anymore questions... You repeatedly prove you are incapable of having a mature discussion without turning into a grade A1 c@ckhead.... I thought you’d be different on this thread because it is of specific interest to you and you have some valuable information to share. 

Pertaining to TH ONLY, if directed at me.   THANK YOU

Don't care about EVs in USA, UK, EU, OZ, CH, or issue with the grid, price, CSs there.  Or about vehicles that aren't available here, or silly 2+mill baht imports, few will ever buy.  Battery swapping for cars is not a reality in our lifetime, or probably this century.   

Don't care about people who can't charge at home ... yes, don't buy.

Don't care about people too impatient to charge up on the road or think driving for more than 4 hours on Thai roads is fun and won't take breaks.  Yea, you shouldn't buy.

If you don't own, or plan on buying ... does beg to ask ... why are you even commenting ?  That's your right of course, as is mine to ignore your silly A$$.????

I think many people (myself including) are considering the possibility of switching to EV’s... that is why this thread is being followed and why I have asked questions and voiced thoughts... Y’know... its what a discussion forum is about.

Actually enjoy the discussion, when it actually is.  

Good... It was a good discussion until you start becoming over defensive and turn in the same tool you prove yourself to be in all the other threads. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or I wanted further clarification from someone who is an owner and can answer real-world scenarios I would find myself in IF I were to become an EV owner. 

Thats why I asked... I don’t own an EV, I don’t know if there is battery drain or not - Does your car have a 400km range? or is that cutting it too close - do you prefer to leave 100kms in the back-pocket... weather variation, temperature changes etc? how much impact does that have to the battery (i.e. using more AC etc).

So, as per your answer. 200kms drive there. Sit the car there for 3-4 days. Drive 200kms back. No issues - or is there ?

I’ve watched a lot of vids in the UK about real world EV use, most seem to highlight difficulties (I know you don’t care about the UK... but that can be an indication of how things may be here, i.e. with many charging stations out of order, or in use with a 1 hr wait until the next one is ready etc).

Asking a question for a real world scenario may seem silly to you. I don’t know anything about EV’s, hence the question. Is it feasible to drive 200kms, park up (no charge station) and drive 200kms back - if the range is only 300km, I’d need to charge on the way (1 hr added to the journey ?).

Minor planning???... I asked your advice...   why do you feel the need to turn into a d!ck in every discussion that is held on this forum ?....     You are the one experienced with EV’s... is answering a few questions too hard ?

No-one can travel around the world in an EV without major issues...  you’re being silly - thats not a real world scenario. 

I won’t ask you anymore questions... You repeatedly prove you are incapable of having a mature discussion without turning into a grade A1 c@ckhead.... I thought you’d be different on this thread because it is of specific interest to you and you have some valuable information to share. 

I think many people (myself including) are considering the possibility of switching to EV’s... that is why this thread is being followed and why I have asked questions and voiced thoughts... Y’know... its what a discussion forum is about.

Good... It was a good discussion until you start becoming over defensive and turn in the same tool you prove yourself to be in all the other threads. 

KhunLA just doesn't understand the thread, the thread is supposed to be the same as any other motoring thread, informative to those who want to learn stuff, or provide info to clear issues up.

Unfortunately, KhunLA seems to think the thread is about him and his world or MG.........????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

KhunLA just doesn't understand the thread, the thread is supposed to be the same as any other motoring thread, informative to those who want to learn stuff, or provide info to clear issues up.

Unfortunately, KhunLA seems to think the thread is about him and his world or MG.........????

Sadly so....   the urge to turn into a complete tool is clearly overwhelming for him.....  

• Like 1

Coming home from a ride in the mountains today.

Turned at the traffic light and a gridlock of at least 1 Km

Lane split up to the front - there are 2 of those EV trikes, driving down the road, holding up traffic, oblivious to all the people waiting to get by their blue-haired selves.

The 1000W and 2000W 'motorcycles' that the Chosen Few are so hot to trot on will be the same. 745W - 1HP. My air compressor has more than 2000W !!!

More traffic congestion. More road rage incidents.

As if the inability to license and insure them will keep them off the road 555

Some people are living in LA LA land without a doubt

Edited by seedy

1 hour ago, transam said:

I can only answer with what I learned or what I have experience with.  Unlike some others.

If not wanting me to answer questions ask to me, about my thoughts or experience, stop asking me.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

car registration 100% electric vehicle group (BEV: Battery Electric Vehicle)  January – March 2022, total 1,251 vehicles ( 0.5% of total car registrations in Thailand, total 249,361 vehicles)

• Like 1