The REAL EV vehicle discussion thread.....

transam

Here's some news that might assuage those with doubts about the prospects for battery improvement

China’s CATL Announces 1,000-Km / 620-Mile CTP 3.0 EV Battery

China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Company Limited (or CATL for short), the world’s biggest EV battery manufacturer, has just announced a technology breakthrough that bumps up the energy density of the cells it produces...

They have now managed to bring its energy density up to 255 Wh/kg. Charging times have dropped too, with CATL noting that with this new tech, charging from 10 to 80 percent will be possible in about 10 minutes, or as low as 5 minutes with a ‘hot start’ which we presume means preconditioning the battery beforehand.

https://insideevs.com/news/594134/catl-qilin-new-high-energy-density-battery/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Objection again ???????? a Kwaki 1100 is not a cafe' racers bike café racers are gay. ????????????

Hmm ... correct you are ... oops

Just google images of, and not sure w t f I was thinking of ... ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's some news that might assuage those with doubts about the prospects for battery improvement

China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Company Limited (or CATL for short), the world’s biggest EV battery manufacturer, has just announced a technology breakthrough that bumps up the energy density of the cells it produces...

They have now managed to bring its energy density up to 255 Wh/kg. Charging times have dropped too, with CATL noting that with this new tech, charging from 10 to 80 percent will be possible in about 10 minutes, or as low as 5 minutes with a ‘hot start’ which we presume means preconditioning the battery beforehand.

Saw that .. I'm too old & impatient to wait for the new tech to get mass produced & hit the market.  Especially TH, maybe if I live in China.  But then again, if I did, I'd already have a Wuling or POCCO ... ????  for knocking around town.   

8 hours ago, transam said:

This was one of my thoughts on another thread. As we know in LOS cars in general hold their value mainly because they keep going, with an EV, the battery is the "engine", which most, at this stage, only has a 100,000mile guarantee, if a car has near or over that, who is going to take the gamble, and what will its value be, for sure not the same as a petrol ride.

But, perhaps the savings made from petrol over a period of years will not bother an EV owner or resale value.

How much is my Model 3 worth in resale and trade value? 

The Tesla Model 3 holds one of the highest used car and EV resale values. Specifically, the 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 model years have the most retained value to offer owners. Cars.com reports that the Tesla Model 3 is worth 12 percent more in resale value than in 2019.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/tesla-model-3-could-shock-you-with-its-resale-value/

54 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Also, Tesla have just announced a new battery technology that will produce batteries that last 100 years and can be driven for 4 million miles.

Article below from Forbes.com.

Tesla Researcher Demonstrates 100-Year, 4-Million-Mile Battery

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

There is this what i say?, strange attitude almost all the time. Just  now again is problem with "energy". People so used to  cheap cheap and mve around like gypsy. 

Awww so sad now takes from cost to eat instead. So spoiled  children?

So easy forget the  bs wars acted by theb poor to make richewr rich!

The product cost of any is a small parrt of most consumerable  and the addition cost never end for stupid user if a vehicle. Why you feel good if you to choose a product with ? warrantee? Warrantee?

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I think 20k kms a year, a bit more with the MG (180k/100k)is more than generous, as most don't drive that much.

If I lived in the USA, and had the funds to be out & about, I'd rack up a lot more than 20k a year.  Would that really be fair to the manufacturer.

First 6 months with the ZS, and we put 20k on it, and really not out & about as much as I'd like, as Thailand is so small.  Plus living in hotels isn't expensive here, but also isn't cheap if every night.

Using just that, 40k a year, 320k over 8 years, and that's being very conservative driving.  If having the finance, and being somewhere more interesting, I could easily put 50-75k kms on a car year after year.

Most in Thailand, lucky if they do 10k a year, if working locally and kids close to school or van it to any school at a distance.

Driving 70 kms a day, 5 days a week, doing 2 school runs a day, I only racked up < 20k kms a year.  Most don't come close to that.

Now, I'm putting about 10 kms a day, for my daily local driving. <5k a year if I was consistent.  That's silly low, but all I really do now.  Just as 15-20k a year, is high for most people, in Thailand or anywhere now, considering the cost of petrol.

So you're driving less than 5K a year, you ran the numbers and your new EV will pay for itself in eight years. 

Again. creative accounting.

It's amusing that the EV fan-boys (apparently) killed their thread with overzealous restrictions then they want to come over and hog up the thread the guys they kicked out moved to. Typical 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you're driving less than 5K a year, you ran the numbers and your new EV will pay for itself in eight years. 

Again. creative accounting.

It's amusing that the EV fan-boys (apparently) killed their thread with overzealous restrictions then they want to come over and hog up the thread the guys they kicked out moved to. Typical 

Nah, I'll be driving a lot more.  Not driving now, as no need, nothing to do about desire.  We'll be out & about quite a bit, 15-20k kms a year.  Stuck now with the house getting finished and solar install in couple weeks. 

Aug or Sept, and we'll be about 2 weeks home 2 weeks on the road.  Got some catching up to do.

As far as 'mandatory' driving, we don't even need car.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually, there already is a thread about EV's that allows for unrestricted criticism.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/

And apparently you believe that you and your fellow believers get to own this new one? Persecution complex much? Typical.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nah, I'll be driving a lot more.  Not driving now, as no need, nothing to do about desire.  We'll be out & about quite a bit, 15-20k kms a year.  Stuck now with the house getting finished and solar install in couple weeks. 

Aug or Sept, and we'll be about 2 weeks home 2 weeks on the road.  Got some catching up to do.

As far as 'mandatory' driving, we don't even need car.

So when you said you wouldn't drive 200K in twenty years you were making that up? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So when you said you wouldn't drive 200K in twenty years you were making that up? 

I'd be surprised if I live 20 more years, let along drive 200k more kms in those 20 years.  We'll rack up the kms the first couple years, but seeing the country 1 or 3 more times, should just about do it for me. That will take < 50k kms.

Then it will simply be local around town driving, < 10 kms a day of late, and not much of that is mandatory driving, or local close out & abouts, < 200 kms r/t and really aren't many of those that interest, as can really only go N or S where we live.  If something new opens of interest, and very rare.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

EV Thailand was killed, NO, simply kept on topic.  EVs in Thailand, what's here, what's available, what may or may not be available in the future.

Not ICEs vs EVs.  I started a thread for that argument to continue, after the 'electric vehicles' was ruined because of the ICEs vs EVs posts.  

Anti China, anti EVs, even anti MGs folks simply repeating the same BS.

This thread simply another fine example.  'Creative accounting' a fine example.   My #s are spot on, even negative side of EVs operating cost & warranty coverage.

Fairly simple, either EVs will work for you or they won't.  Any 1 mill baht vehicle after 8 yrs / 180k kms isn't going to hold much of a resale value, whether ICE or EV.  What matters is the operating cost afterwards.  Stop with the silly 'you have to replace the whole battery pack after warranty'.

Same with the operating cost during the warranty period.  EVs definitely have the advantage there in Thailand.  Cost of PEA or solar to charge and lack of costly maintenance is so much less expensive.   IF of course, you can charge at home using either.   Simple math.

Using over the road driving, that's UP2U, whether a patient person or not, or an idiot when planning.   If you can't find a CS, you simply aren't looking.  If those are issues, stick with the ICE and simple enough.  Especially if you drive 700kms legs with no stops before refueling, or 2000 kms same day trips are your traveling style, then yea, keep that ICE.

The 'REAL EV' thread with no real negative post about EVs.  Input on the forum from members owning ... all positive.  Vids I posted by owner, all overly positive, with a few negatives pointed out in those, if bothered to watch.  Real life experience, that you just have to read, listen to or watch.

Are EVs eco friendly .... NO,   Same as ICEs.  Very few products produced are eco friendly.  If you think you're saving the plant, and own a motorized vehicle, you're hypocrite, plain and simple.  EVs will help with air pollution at ground level, but that's about it.  Every aspect of producing any vehicles and any type of energy is not eco friendly.  Get a horse or walk if you want to save the planet, which BTW, doesn't need saving, people do.

Only variable is operating cost.  EVs win hands down in Thailand, if charging at home w/PEA or solar.  The only deciding factor for us.  Buy in cost is the same as ICEs now, so not much of an argument there.

You make your own choice.  Trying to convince the EV fanboys otherwise, just isn't going to work, as we've done our research and ran the #s.  They're pretty convincing and yet to read anything contrary.

I'm not trying to convince the fan-boys, I'm trying to be convinced.

If you want a new EV, that's a good reason the get one, pretending dumping a three year old ICEV to get a new EV is going to save money is not. 

I have a wife and an enlarged prostate. I stop frequently, and I generally can't hold it until I get to an MG dealer. I don't doubt I could plan a trip to Chiang Mai in an EV. 

I don't have any issue with the range of EVs, and as I've said, I think they make great sense for people that plan to charge at home and use around town. 

Charging your car at home with solar is great, if you're home during the day, and even then, the only way using solar would be cost saving would be if you were had enough solar installed to charge the vehicle with excess solar power. It makes little sense to use grid power to run your home AC, and solar power to charge your car. 

44 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't have any issue with the range of EVs, and as I've said, I think they make great sense for people that plan to charge at home and use around town. ????

Charging your car at home with solar is great, if you're home during the day, and even then, the only way using solar would be cost saving would be if you were had enough solar installed to charge the vehicle with excess solar power. It makes little sense to use grid power to run your home AC, and solar power to charge your car. 

Your prostate must be a bit larger than mine, as I can make it to Krung Thep with no problem, < 300 kms / 4 hrs.  No need to wait for the next 150 km away MG dealer ????.  Plenty of CS through out TH.  Actually should make it to daughter's house without a top up, though surely will stop along the way, as wife & dog can't seem to hold out.

We'll have more than enough solar for the house & car, from 8kw inverter w/10kW battery.  Only 50kw battery in car, so a negative # would be 6 kms per kw (300/50=6), so 2-5 kw a day, if bothering to plug in every day, or simply once a week, as we are home all day & night. 

Could actually do it over night from the battery back up on daily basis, as only using 2kw a day, since have about 8 in battery ESS available and only need 4 overnight for AC/fan/frigs.  Leaves plenty for reserve in home battery back up.  Or at worst, use PEA, which will back spin when extra solar is exported to grid meter.

If not having solar, PEA @ negative ฿5 a unit X 45 kw = ฿225 to top up for 300+ range vs ฿1000 for same 300 kms using E85 with the ICE ZS (300/11 kpl X ฿37=฿1000+).  Simply charge overnight while sleeping, if not at home daytime.

The very basic operating cost, fueling/energy @ 25% less than ICE, and that's using E85.  That's pretty impressive, and not even considering other operating cost the EVs don't incur.

Present car is going to continue to depreciate whether we buy now or not.  Granted, 1st year depreciation sucks, and averaged in over 5 yrs would be better.  That 'expiring' ฿240k from gov't more than compensates for that, along with instant savings on operating cost from day 1 when receiving the EV.  Longer we wait, longer we rack up operating cost with the ICE.

Only regret is not buying a few months earlier, as may have received already, or in a month or so, instead of waiting till end of the year.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:04 PM, placeholder said:

The presenter starts out by claiming he's no expert. So why should I spend 26 minutes listening to him? There are experts and reports about the findings of experts that can be read in considerably less than 26 minutes and pack in a lot more information.

Thank you i very happy you enjoy the video do not forget like + subscribe the channel

14 hours ago, placeholder said:

How much is my Model 3 worth in resale and trade value? 

The Tesla Model 3 holds one of the highest used car and EV resale values. Specifically, the 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 model years have the most retained value to offer owners. Cars.com reports that the Tesla Model 3 is worth 12 percent more in resale value than in 2019.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/tesla-model-3-could-shock-you-with-its-resale-value/

Great, come back when the battery warranty mileage is up, or nearing end of battery warranty. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

EV Thailand was killed, NO, simply kept on topic.  EVs in Thailand, what's here, what's available, what may or may not be available in the future.

Not ICEs vs EVs.  I started a thread for that argument to continue, after the 'electric vehicles' was ruined because of the ICEs vs EVs posts.  

This thread simply another fine example.  'Creative accounting' a fine example.   My #s are spot on, even negative side of EVs operating cost & warranty coverage.

Fairly simple, either EVs will work for you or they won't.  Any 1 mill baht vehicle after 8 yrs / 180k kms isn't going to hold much of a resale value, whether ICE or EV.  What matters is the operating cost afterwards.  Stop with the silly 'you have to replace the whole battery pack after warranty'.

Same with the operating cost during the warranty period.  EVs definitely have the advantage there in Thailand.  Cost of PEA or solar to charge and lack of costly maintenance is so much less expensive.   IF of course, you can charge at home using either.   Simple math.

Using over the road driving, that's UP2U, whether a patient person or not, or an idiot when planning.   If you can't find a CS, you simply aren't looking.  If those are issues, stick with the ICE and simple enough.  Especially if you drive 700kms legs with no stops before refueling, or 2000 kms same day trips are your traveling style, then yea, keep that ICE.

The 'REAL EV' thread with no real negative post about EVs.  Input on the forum from members owning ... all positive.  Vids I posted by owner, all overly positive, with a few negatives pointed out in those, if bothered to watch.  Real life experience, that you just have to read, listen to or watch.

Are EVs eco friendly .... NO,   Same as ICEs.  Very few products produced are eco friendly.  If you think you're saving the plant, and own a motorized vehicle, you're hypocrite, plain and simple.  EVs will help with air pollution at ground level, but that's about it.  Every aspect of producing any vehicles and any type of energy is not eco friendly.  Get a horse or walk if you want to save the planet, which BTW, doesn't need saving, people do.

Only variable is operating cost.  EVs win hands down in Thailand, if charging at home w/PEA or solar.  The only deciding factor for us.  Buy in cost is the same as ICEs now, so not much of an argument there.

You make your own choice.  Trying to convince the EV fanboys otherwise, just isn't going to work, as we've done our research and ran the #s.  They're pretty convincing and yet to read anything contrary.

My I ask why "EV's win hands down in Thailand", when the obvious choice for Thailand is a PHEV, as LOS, as yet, does not have a credible charge station infrastructure..?

Please don't come back with what YOU have or do (or MG)....????

PS. Are you being sponsored by MG ...............????

25 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Thank you i very happy you enjoy the video do not forget like + subscribe the channel

Ever notice how all the "approved experts" seem to work in academia, and not in the automotive or energy sectors?  

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Ever notice how all the "approved experts" seem to work in academia, and not in the automotive or energy sectors?  

This question i have some trouble making clear translation to understand meaning

Academia i have the meaning but cannot connect with approved experts

The video i post maybe upset some people possible they own the ev car already 

Sorry about the limit of my english the language can be very complicated

43 minutes ago, transam said:

My I ask why "EV's win hands down in Thailand", when the obvious choice for Thailand is a PHEV, as LOS, as yet, does not have a credible charge station infrastructure..?

Not easy making argument with owner of ev car today better wait see what happen later in time

I look for future where I can purchase the very cheap second hand ev car for diy battery fix

I have comment on my youtube community from ev owner. many happy some not happy and worry about charge level

12 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

This question i have some trouble making clear translation to understand meaning

Academia i have the meaning but cannot connect with approved experts

The video i post maybe upset some people possible they own the ev car already 

Sorry about the limit of my english the language can be very complicated

It only means a lot of people are are very selective about what they consider an expert. Some people consider (or approve) of educators as experts, but do not consider (or disapprove) of of people working in the automotive or energy sectors experts. 

I generally love your posts...

Most of their "approved experts" make their living being experts. 

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It only means a lot of people are are very selective about what they consider an expert. Some people consider (or approve) of educators as experts, but do not consider (or disapprove) of of people working in the automotive or energy sectors experts. 

I generally love your posts...

Most of their "approved experts" make their living being experts. 

Thank you for the explaining this.

12 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

I look for future where I can purchase the very cheap second hand ev car for diy battery fix

Think it's going to be a long time before you see user friendly / DIY, battery maintenance on EVs.   As they are giving up a lot of income, due to low maintenance of EVs vs ICEs.  Lost revenue they aren't going to make easy for you to have by DIY battery maintenance.   

The constant every 10k kms upkeep, oil, belts and tune ups of ICEs is a huge part of their revenue stream.  EVs counter that, so cell replacement will be dealer only thing for years to come.  Some 3rd party vendors will be out there, but  slow market, especially in TH, as there really won't be a demand for them, the next 10 yrs.

The one big IF, nobody can really answer yet, so if owning an EV, your battery maintenance will go a long way to longevity and less headaches. 

Slower charging and keeping it in the 30-80% range, I believe is highly recommended.  Top up to 100%, when knowing you need.

Will definitely influence the 2nd hand market, so chose wisely if buying.  If you change cars every 3 year, EVs, maybe not the best investment for you.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"The 'REAL EV' thread with no real negative post about EVs.  Input on the forum from members owning ... all positive. " It could be that the numbers of EV owners on this forum is less than 5  if you look at Thai facebook groups you will find some negative posts about EV

Are the MG EV owners that purchased their EV's at full price happy as since June 2021 MG have been discounting by 202,000 and that was before the Goverment announced their scheme

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/2021-mg-zs-ev-จัดโปรล้างสต็อคลด-202000-บาทเตรียมรับรุ่นประกอบไทยปลายปีนี้-พร้อมแคมเปญ-ev-เจ้าอื่น-27993

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

"The 'REAL EV' thread with no real negative post about EVs.  Input on the forum from members owning ... all positive. " It could be that the numbers of EV owners on this forum is less than 5  if you look at Thai facebook groups you will find some negative posts about EV

Are the MG EV owners that purchased their EV's at full price happy as since June 2021 MG have been discounting by 202,000 and that was before the Goverment announced their scheme

https://www.autofun.co.th/news/2021-mg-zs-ev-จัดโปรล้างสต็อคลด-202000-บาทเตรียมรับรุ่นประกอบไทยปลายปีนี้-พร้อมแคมเปญ-ev-เจ้าอื่น-27993

Are they complaining about the drivetrain or the options ?

ICE & EV manufacturers seem to have the drivetrains down to a science now with few real issues.  I do read complaints about the option people order, which is why I always get as few as possible, as I don't use, and they are the things that seem to have problems.

People complaining about missing a sale ... oh well.  You can do that about any product.   I suspected a govt incentive was coming, and was waiting for better specs.   So held off buying until they materializes.

Better research = better shopping experience ????

1 hour ago, transam said:

Great, come back when the battery warranty mileage is up, or nearing end of battery warranty. 

I would say if you wanted to buy the EV car secondhand you would compare sell prices the same as any other motor. 

If the battery is nearing it's past sell by date I would knock of the price of a new battery.

The alternative for the seller would be to buy a new battery to sell it. 

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Think it's going to be a long time before you see user friendly / DIY, battery maintenance on EVs. 

I think more about diy on hacking level for people who have some knowledge not regular home maintenance

People already hack the ev car computer id for battery so i think not so much problem in future

Also I think many battery repair service shop available in future if ev cars get popular

Ev transport is nice hobby

Video to show diy level i look at. this not for regular diy person fixing ev at home