The REAL EV vehicle discussion thread.....

transam

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

car registration 100% electric vehicle group (BEV: Battery Electric Vehicle)  January – March 2022, total 1,251 vehicles ( 0.5% of total car registrations in Thailand, total 249,361 vehicles)

2 months old & registered vehicles.  

Be interesting if they put out a current list, and included ordered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

2 months old & registered vehicles.  

Be interesting if they put out a current list, and included ordered.

These are cars that have been resigsterd for either red plates or normal plates Its not possible to include an ordered list and these reports are normally published every 4 months or once a year

100% electric vehicle registration in Thailand

• Year 2020 : January - December 2020
    • Total 1,056 cars
  • Year 2021 : January - December 2021
    • Total 1,935 cars
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the "Good Cat" is a cute little car. Something like what I imagine an E-Beetle might look...

Yes, it looks good …….. except for the strange pink coloured one I saw today. 

20F19F93-F343-4899-995E-C2BD84005B5F.jpeg.e8d5ecf4610f15c2d24f8d8b7cb8f927.jpeg

Apparently the colour is Hazel Wood Beige with a Brown roof !, whereas the dark green or the pastel blue look striking the one above was quite awful, probably missing a few Hello Kitty stickers.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, transam said:

So why give a 160,000km battery guarantee, surely that is a head scratcher for a buyer...?   ????

Out of an abundance of caution. Keep in mind that this  technology was very news and there wasn't a lot of data about longevity out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Its a good indication of where the market will have to go for EV’s to be truly viable.

Unless battery tech becomes so well developed that batteries last for 30 years and can run for 1000’s of KM and quick charge in 30mins. 

Of course, there is still major outstanding issue which is always glossed over - and that is the environmentally and ethical friendliness of producing the batteries in the first place. 

Why would batteries have to last for 30 years. Do people expect ICE vehicles to last for 30 years?

On 6/26/2022 at 11:59 AM, richard_smith237 said:

We’d have the vegetarians arguing about the excessive methane generated from all the horses !!! 

But seriously though....  Are EV's truly a more environmentally friendly alternative to ICEV's ???? 

While I am convinced EV’s are cleaner for our cities, I’m not convinced they are more environmentally friendly when considering the whole package  (sourcing metals for batteries etc to disposal of the those same batteries at the end of the cycle). 

EV's are less damaging environmentally than ICE vehicles

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/22/yale-study-puts-the-kibosh-on-ev-emissions-myth/

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, transam said:

Then give a longer warrantee, so folk buy more EV's, simple, why don't they..?

Does it tell you anything that the major manufacturers of EV's are having trouble keeping up can't keep up with demand as things now stand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 3:02 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...   

IF we become ‘reliant’ on EV’s (as they are the only vehicles available) then either road tax for those EV’s will sky-rocket, or there will be huge tax hike on electricity. 

Then, there will be those who want to produce their own solar electricity, somehow so they wont be impacted by the tax hike on electricity... 

Thus: the only way I see this working in lieu of tax on fuel there will be a road tax hike to the point that any theoretical saving by an EV is cancelled out. 

The simple fact is that the governments need this tax (from fuel), so alternatives taxation methods will be created. 

There are electronic toll systems for major highways in the USA. So it really isn't going to be much of a problem. Local roads are usually maintained by county or municipal goverments. Sometimes the State shares revenue with them, other times local taxes cover the cost.

• Haha 1

These may interest, real life experience.  I like him, as he'll point out negatives along with positives.  He owns MG, and has driven, test many other, MG's EP, but other brands as well.  Here in Thailand & Norway.

Already posted, long distance drive:

Sleeping in, starts @ 6:10:

24 hrs in car challenge, in disgusting CM:

MG EP range test:

GWM Ora Good Cat 400, (also has 500 test):

More Ora Good Cat vids:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland/search?query=ora good cat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, let's go negative, for anti-EV'ers, ???? the car is 9 yrs old.

Remember, it's old tech, apparently affects charging speed.

Haven't noticed EVs available in TH, getting negative reviews.

Must have had an oops at 70k kms, as battery pack replaced.

Total 260k kms on battery pack, vs 350k for the car ???? 

Double dog @ 9:40 ????  Not sure why he's doing short hops.

EVs been around for quite some time, and improved, though not

bad for being 9 yrs old, on old tech.

• Haha 1

He's not a fan of the app, though improved over the last 2 yr.  Thankfully most issues are with the app, so all good in that aspect.  Not an app fan myself, and I rarely use apps, so almost totally irrelevant to me. 

Haven't used the iSmart app with the ICE yet.  Apps = marketing and can't tell me anything the car doesn't.  

Don't need to start the car and run AC remotely, as it cools off in 1 or 2 minutes when started, and we have no tint on the windows.

Edited by KhunLA

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I can only answer with what I learned or what I have experience with.  Unlike some others.

If not wanting me to answer questions ask to me, about my thoughts or experience, stop asking me.

We know your thoughts..MG MG MG....Everything I have is excellent, why buy expensive cars, you can be like me....MG MG MG....????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

Out of an abundance of caution. Keep in mind that this  technology was very news and there wasn't a lot of data about longevity out there.

But, folk are told battery warrantee is 8 years, that plants the seed that the battery is not a concern for a buyer, yet, the or 100,000miles is tagged on the end..

If it is a new tech, then why not say, 100,000miles, that would certainly make me think twice at this early stage of battery development for EV...  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

We know your thoughts..MG MG MG....Everything I have is excellent, why buy expensive cars, you can be like me....MG MG MG....????

Says the owner of the Celerio ... ????

I don't need an expensive car to go to 7-11 or Makro, or to Hua Hin or Krung Thep.

Cars do nothing for me, a machine, serves a purpose.  I'd rather spend it on something else I'll get more use & joy from.

MG puts out a good, value product.  Buy what make you happy.  Easy enough.  If you could leave your prejudice & bigotry out of the conversation for just 1 page, it may be an enjoyable thread.  

But I guess that really is asking too much.  IGNORED ... again.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

Does it tell you anything that the major manufacturers of EV's are having trouble keeping up can't keep up with demand as things now stand?

Do buyers go into the workings of the internal combustion engine and transmission wiv a car purchase, don't fink so....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Says the owner of the Celerio ... ????

I don't need an expensive car to got to 7-11 or Makro, or to Hua Hin or Krung Thep.

Cars do nothing for me, a machine, serves a purpose.  I'd rather spend it on something else I'll get more use & joy from.

MG puts out a good, value product.  Buy what make you happy.  Easy enough.  If you could leave your prejudice & bigotry out of the conversation for just 1 page, it may be an enjoyable thread.  

But I guess that really is asking too much.  IGNORED ... again.

You still don't understand the thread, it is not about you or your daily life...????

PS. I don't own a Celerio...

Edited by transam
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

But, folk are told battery warrantee is 8 years, that plants the seed that the battery is not a concern for a buyer, yet, the or 100,000miles is tagged on the end..

If it is a new tech, then why not say, 100,000miles, that would certainly make me think twice at this early stage of battery development for EV...  

Tagged at the end? Isn't it part of the same sentence? Maybe this could be a problem for a special type of dyslexic person.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Tagged at the end? Isn't it part of the same sentence? Maybe this could be a problem for a special type of dyslexic person.

One would think when buying an EV, that would be one of the more important specs / info wanted.   Doesn't matter where it's at, though pretty hard to miss, even if not looking for, and certainly very prominent in all promos I've seen.

Every EV warranty I've looked at, is as good or better than most/any ICE warranties I've seen.   Guess it depends who's looking and their ability to interpret the info.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, placeholder said:

I have no idea about EV brands assembly/production line capacities ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, transam said:

Agreed...    When an ICE vehicle has a warranty of 5 years or 100,000 miles... I think, if something goes wrong outside of warranty its going to be something like replacing a gasket, an engine mount etc... nothing major within the engine fails.

With an EV I have no idea what can go wrong, if its the brakes, fine, we’re used to that.

If its bushing on an electric motor at one of the wheels, will that whole motor need replacing or can the individual part be repaired ?.... OR, if something goes wrong in the battery is it the whole battery that needs replacing, which effectively writes off the car (as it will likely cost more to replace the battery than the value of the car).

IF manufacturers are confident that their batteries will last 8 years... put an 8 year warranty on the battery and don’t limit it to 100,000miles. 

My current car is 4 years old (or 5, I’m not sure), I like it, we’ll probably keep it for another 3-4 or 5 years, who knows....  at the end it will still have resale value.

Will an EV which is outside of Warranty have a resale value? (perhaps its too early to tell). 

Another question: Will extended warranties be available for EV’s ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...    When an ICE vehicle has a warranty of 5 years or 100,000 miles... I think, if something goes wrong outside of warranty its going to be something like replacing a gasket, an engine mount etc... nothing major within the engine fails.

With an EV I have no idea what can go wrong, if its the brakes, fine, we’re used to that.

If its bushing on an electric motor at one of the wheels, will that whole motor need replacing or can the individual part be repaired ?.... OR, if something goes wrong in the battery is it the whole battery that needs replacing, which effectively writes off the car (as it will likely cost more to replace the battery than the value of the car).

IF manufacturers are confident that their batteries will last 8 years... put an 8 year warranty on the battery and don’t limit it to 100,000miles. 

My current car is 4 years old (or 5, I’m not sure), I like it, we’ll probably keep it for another 3-4 or 5 years, who knows....  at the end it will still have resale value.

Will an EV which is outside of Warranty have a resale value? (perhaps its too early to tell). 

This was one of my thoughts on another thread. As we know in LOS cars in general hold their value mainly because they keep going, with an EV, the battery is the "engine", which most, at this stage, only has a 100,000mile guarantee, if a car has near or over that, who is going to take the gamble, and what will its value be, for sure not the same as a petrol ride.

But, perhaps the savings made from petrol over a period of years will not bother an EV owner or resale value.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think 20k kms a year, a bit more with the MG (180k/100k)is more than generous, as most don't drive that much.

If I lived in the USA, and had the funds to be out & about, I'd rack up a lot more than 20k a year.  Would that really be fair to the manufacturer.

First 6 months with the ZS, and we put 20k on it, and really not out & about as much as I'd like, as Thailand is so small.  Plus living in hotels isn't expensive here, but also isn't cheap if every night.

Using just that, 40k a year, 320k over 8 years, and that's being very conservative driving.  If having the finance, and being somewhere more interesting, I could easily put 50-75k kms on a car year after year.

Most in Thailand, lucky if they do 10k a year, if working locally and kids close to school or van it to any school at a distance.

Driving 70 kms a day, 5 days a week, doing 2 school runs a day, I only racked up < 20k kms a year.  Most don't come close to that.

Now, I'm putting about 10 kms a day, for my daily local driving. <5k a year if I was consistent.  That's silly low, but all I really do now.  Just as 15-20k a year, is high for most people, in Thailand or anywhere now, considering the cost of petrol.

• Haha 1

AND ... if you got some spare pocket change, for ฿1.4 mlll

before importing to TH ... you can sport around in this baby.

lightning.jpg.c8e26bc1bfc48853dd0b030673a1aa3e.jpg

The Lightning LS-218

The LS-218 is the fastest production motorcycle in the world – gas or electric. Retail price starts at $38,888 USD.

https://lightningmotorcycle.com/#:~:text=The Lightning LS-218&text=The LS-218 is the,price starts at %2438%2C888 USD.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

AND ... if you got some spare pocket change, for ฿1.4 mlll

before importing to TH ... you can sport around in this baby.

lightning.jpg.c8e26bc1bfc48853dd0b030673a1aa3e.jpg

The Lightning LS-218

The LS-218 is the fastest production motorcycle in the world – gas or electric. Retail price starts at $38,888 USD.

https://lightningmotorcycle.com/#:~:text=The Lightning LS-218&text=The LS-218 is the,price starts at %2438%2C888 USD.

Objection ???? it is not the fastest production road motorbike and the electric one is not that fast maybe for electric but lacking in distance. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Objection ???? it is not the fastest production road motorbike and the electric one is not that fast maybe for electric but lacking in distance. 

I only posted the info, as someone posted a snap of it elsewhere.  Didn't want to go off topic on that thread.   Here, I have no need or desire to go faster than my scooter will, 90 kph.   Them 200+ kph days are way behind me.

My luck, I'd hit a kwai in the road, like someone did up in Udon Thani and killed himself.

Never liked cafe style bikes anyway.  Although have to say, my brother's Kawasaki 1100 was a treat to drive.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I only posted the info, as someone posted a snap of it elsewhere.  Didn't want to go off topic on that thread.   Here, I have no need or desire to go faster than my scooter will, 90 kph.   Them 200+ kph days are way behind me.

My luck, I'd hit a kwai in the road, like someone did up in Udon Thani and killed himself.

Never liked cafe style bikes anyway.  Although have to say, my brother's Kawasaki 1100 was a treat to drive.

Objection again ???????? a Kwaki 1100 is not a cafe' racers bike café racers are gay. ????????????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1