What's the deal with the new rental laws and Bangkok apartments still overcharging for utility bills?

SS1

My gf just landed a job in Bangkok and helping her find a cheap apartment for her. She is in a hurry and found a nice place, but they're charging 8 baht per unit of electricity and 18 baht per unit of water. 

I recall this is illegal since 2018: 

So what's the deal with this nowadays - is this law basically just ignored by most apartment buildings and there is nothing you can do about it? 

Edited by SS1

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The law only applies to Landlords that have 5 or more units

for rent ,

regards worgeordie

This is clear, but apartment buildings are usually owned by one person and have +20 units so the law definitely applies to them. 

1 minute ago, SS1 said:

This is clear, but apartment buildings are usually owned by one person and have +20 units so the law definitely applies to them. 

In this case the owner may have proxies ,(family) as owners of

units , or they just don't give a ......

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Large users of electricity and water pay a higher rate than smaller users. For an apartment building, their current cost will be just under 5 baht per unit of electricity and just over 16 baht baht per unit of water.

The apartment is allowed to charge a reasonable amount on top of their cost to cover equipment such as tanks, pumps, pipes, meters, wiring, etc.

18 baht per unit of water is not unreasonable at all as most people do not use many units of water. It is normally the cost of electricity that escalates quickly.

Water costs have not changed in a long time, however electricity costs vary each month, and with the current global situation I would not be surprised to see electricity prices rising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, worgeordie said:

In this case the owner may have proxies ,(family) as owners of

units , or they just don't give a ......

regards worgeordie

An apartment isn't a condo, the apartment building can't be split up on proxies or family members.

I doubt there are many apartments with less than 5 units, so the law should apply to nearly all of them. They just don't give a ....

On 6/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, SS1 said:

So where is the enforcement? Or do the less privileged not warrant the attention? 

I've never lived  in a condo block where one person  owned all the units- don't even know of one.

14 hours ago, emeraldruby said:

I've never lived  in a condo block where one person  owned all the units- don't even know of one.

There's a difference between "condo blocks" and "apartment blocks".  

14 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Mine has almost 80 units, but no change. Still charging 8 baht per unit (divided into 4 baht + 4 baht "service fee").

Mine has four buildings, each with nine floors and twenty units on each floor, every one gets a MEA electric bill.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:02 PM, emeraldruby said:

Don't confuse Condo and Apartments. Condo is generally units owned by many people, whereas an apartment building tends to be owned by one person, who in turn owns all the apartments inside,