https://aseannow.com/topic/1264321-airfares-from-bangkok-are-already-reaching-crazy-levels/Airfares from Bangkok are already reaching crazy levels

webfact

I just booked two weeks ago, right after the US dropped the COVID test on return requirement, for a trip in August for 3 of us. In the past, I normally booked a few months ahead in pre-covid days. The three tickets cost about 50% more than Aug 2019, which was my last time there

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I booked a return flight to my home country back in April for October, it cost me 18,260 baht on sale, today it's on sale again at 22,595 baht, that's a 23.74% increase and on sale, WOW. 

Someone here on another topic said I was made to book so far in advance because we could go into lock down again by then and the airline could go bust by then, and my reply was something on the lines of you tink to muk.

The above said, there are 4 of us travelling so that's a great saving, even on the current sale price because those tickets usually sell for around 28,000 baht when not on sale. 

would you please mention what airline and how to find their sale?

before pandemic it was scoot with the cheapest fare to europe. But now they have only very few flights per month to some of destinations and prices are higher than the regular one, even higher than thai airways direct flights 

Edited by internationalism

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Only a few months ago it was possible to book a return ticket from Bangkok to London Gatwick for THB19,000 return with Scoot, the Singapore-owned budget airline.

Now if you wish to book a return ticket with Scoot for travel in July the fare quoted online is THB31,400.

Hardly a budget rate anymore!

Economics 101: Supply and demand.

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Not UK school summer holiday vs UK school holiday ! Always been the case, always will. 

Exactly. It's the long, staggered European school holidays and annual northern hemisphere summer vacation season.

Expect to see the same reporting before Christmas and New Year and airlines reintroduce the traditional 'black out' dates and 'high season' fares where you pay through the nose or stay at home.

Sheesh...

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

I think that rather depends on where you are flying to, the war in Ukraine is making flights to and from Europe far more difficult for the airlines and the distance further, which I guess adds to the cost.

Fuel costs have risen tremendously which is certainly not helping the ticket cost.

From what I can see, the flights are actually reasonably full of passengers, which should justify more flights.

The other issue is that airlines and airports are critically low on staff, not just due to sick leave, a lot of redundancies happened over the last couple of years and the companies just assumed that everyone would rush back to their old job, this has not been the case, for example, in Europe (and US) the main reason for the big delays is shortage of staff, especially security, check in, baggage handling etc. where the salaries are close to minimum wage levels and those who left have found better paying employment.

It takes months to train new people, those working airside have to go through rigorous security clearance checks etc. etc.

Some airlines cannot put more flights on right now, a lot of the senior pilots elected to retire or take other employment, which has left the airlines with a pilot shortage and it takes years to replace each one, cabin crew are in short supply etc. etc. all of which will eventually increase each airline's overhead as the the only way to solve this is to employ, train and pay competitive salaries.

You have got it spot on .  Check in and baggage handlers are a scarcity and because of the huge delays to passengers ( queues stretching outside of the airport building ) , the airport authorities in the UK have told airline companies to reduce their scheduled flights which of course cuts into the profits , the solution being to increase the cost of their remaining flights to bring the income to near normal . There was a report recently where the flight attendants ( including the pilot ) were helping with the baggage at Heathrow . Of course fuel costs will add to the increase of air fares . I just had a quick Google search for flights to the UK from BKK and return . Both EVA and Scoot seem to have a limited service . Thai Air seem to be running daily but the quote to travel on 6th July and return on the 27th , came out at 71,140 baht . Peak season fares ? If returning late August the quote dropped to 48,000 baht .

Just have to say that Scoot Air are a budget airline . I have flown with them twice . First time not too bad because not many passengers but the 2nd time , 2 hours to check in ( only 2 check in staff )which left no time for a snack or a beer before boarding . Their current price is too expensive and I would opt to pay extra to fly with Eva or Thai Air . 

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

I see return flights from lhr 31st august return 30th september with cheaper airlines with long stop overs from £462 ie Saudia 37hours flight time on one leg, £462, Gulf air 19hour flight time £591, qatar flight time 19 hours £634, Thai air direct flight from £704, Finn air 17hours flight time from £710, Emirates 15hour flight time £802, 

so you could be correct, lets hope so

Yes,daughter arrived last week from Manchester with Qatar (16 hours total flight) @ £630 return. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Airfares at American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines — the three largest domestic carriers — shot up nearly 50% for the week ending May 23 compared to a year ago, according to an analysis by Cowen, a financial services firm.

They are taking to the US air, flights to SEA are not up buy 50%

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

I fly out out August on Philippines at $US1,500 (R/T) When we flew in February it was $US800 (R/T) on ANA/United. Just like everything else, the prices have doubled.

It was $1500 in 2019. So doubled since when, The Wright brothers?

I just recently spent $993 for a one way ticket back to the US after being here over a year on covid extensions. I can usually get a round trip for less than that. I’ll be happy to leave to be honest. The place has changed so rapidly and developed so quickly it’s not what it used to be. I’ll be back of course but I’ve had my share for now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Anyone who tried to book air travel anywhere in the last six months knew this already. The days of cheap fares are gone. Question for this forum is how much will it affect travel to Thailand? (not so much from Bangkok).

No doubt the fares from Bangkok to Koh Samui will rocket as well.

Bangkok Air have never been shy of jacking up prices "just because they can", and this time they have a legitimate excuse, but you can almost guarantee that if they are paying $100 for fuel, $150 will be picked up from their increased prices. Total rip off!  (One way one hour flight next Wednesday - cheapest price on their website 4350 baht)

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sambum said:

No doubt the fares from Bangkok to Koh Samui will rocket as well.

Bangkok Air have never been shy of jacking up prices "just because they can", and this time they have a legitimate excuse, but you can almost guarantee that if they are paying $100 for fuel, $150 will be picked up from their increased prices. Total rip off!  (One way one hour flight next Wednesday - cheapest price on their website 4350 baht)

Would driving and loading on the ferry be any cheaper.

Russia’s Aeroflot will soon become the only affordable airline, with fixed fuel prices in Russia. Many Europeans used to fly it transiting through Moscow to South East Asia. Too bad they cannot now due to sanctions. TAT’s tourist guesstimates are again up in the air.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Had to book 4 flights in totals for a stop by in Bangkok and another destination + returns. Booked with 3 different airlines, noticed with all the average price being higher too than usual. It always seems so innocent when 900-1200 was before and it changes to 1400-1800 average but it really adds up. 

Regardless, many of the travellers that came here are hard working people with not too much of a budget. That was kind of killed by the exchange rate as well rising prices locally already but now with those fares + dealing with higher costs back home, I could see they simply can't visit even they wanted too.

I would personally just take a high speed train within europe and chill in the south of europe having still very cheap food and wine until things cleared up. Or go to mexico or something as an american. At least you could walk home if it became that bad in those cases.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

I see return flights from lhr 31st august return 30th september with cheaper airlines with long stop overs from £462 ie Saudia 37hours flight time on one leg, £462, Gulf air 19hour flight time £591, qatar flight time 19 hours £634, Thai air direct flight from £704, Finn air 17hours flight time from £710, Emirates 15hour flight time £802, 

so you could be correct, lets hope so

In May I flew Gulf Air one way bkk to lon bus class £820 but long stop over.  Short stopover was double £. So I booked long stopover and paid £85 for a hotel. Got lashed up in bus lounge on free beer and food, and slept like a <deleted> brit! 

• Like 1