How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

On 7/6/2022 at 1:30 PM, Hummin said:

Many people live in confined places/rooms while working.

I could have easily slept at my last job in the USA (13 yrs at), and been quite comfy, with full bath and food options about.

Especially since my work week was usually 2 double shifts, back to back, so 4 shifts (32 hrs) in 2 days, w/ 5 days off.  Sometimes it did seem silly going home, though only lived 15 minutes away.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:05 AM, KIngsofisaan said:

Don't see to many grown men bragging about living in their car.

We have a word for that in the civilized world, it is called homelessness.

If you think it is a minimum to have a decent life, sell up and go live in your car.

Come back here in a year and let us all know how decent a life you have?

we prefer houseless....my 2 best buddies have the bg houses--cars--wife kids etc,,,

my folks split when i was young and seen my friends--sister etc go thru divorces....

i dont see the lure of a 30 yr mortgage and staying in a little spot forever...my first trip was to machu picchu and galapagos in 2006 and got the travel bug after..to wander.....

everything my friends or most folks have is available---wifi--food--airbnbs  etc...just need basic human needs--shelter--food--hygiene....ive spent summers in the car when its heat advisory and that sucks...hard to sleep...so i may rent an airbnb for a month--better rate

i have a unlimited  phone plan and stream cable on my phone and for wifi for laptop...

eat at stores where can get any and all foods---i even eat better and dont over eat and go stare in the fridge and just eat blindly..i eat salads--fruits--sushi  etc,,,,cafes in most stores

gym is $20/month and 24 hrs and have tvs and massage chairs and showers-workout

i can also park there as its 24 hrs and im a member.....cops rarely hassle me and there are places that will let u use the lot....cops may knock--check my id then leave me alone....

a rented room goes for 700 x 6 =4200..i can live nicely in thailand for everyhiing for $6000

i sleep well in my car with tinted windows..only real issue is humidity and heat--east coast!

sure if i could find an affordable private studio id take it....have yet to match my$100 apt here with tv ac-fridge and furnished that asked for 3 month lease.....simple easy living

so simple basic human needs put me in my car... affordable housing--healthcare--food

all of which i can afford in thailand...same reason retired folks move here on a pension..

i dont do drugs etc per the homeless stigma...im the guy right next to you in the store...as you would be surprised how many are trying to get by..hiding in plain sight in their cars

And by working and sleeping in my car i can save money and get back to LOS for a better quality of life.....im not bothering anyone or asking for any handouts..just trying to get by.

https://invisiblepeople.tv/homeless-people-living-in-cars/

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I could have easily slept at my last job in the USA (13 yrs at), and been quite comfy, with full bath and food options about.

Especially since my work week was usually 2 double shifts, back to back, so 4 shifts (32 hrs) in 2 days, w/ 5 days off.  Sometimes it did seem silly going home, though only lived 15 minutes away.

kinda like doctors    working long shifts have cots to sleep on...

i worked on a boat so was my home too--also ran a BnB so got free room and ran that

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:45 AM, KIngsofisaan said:

The only people that claim that live in a shoe box with a fan and don't own anything

that would be me..tho i do have tv  ac  fridge..nice--clean cozy  $100 /month in city

my buddy has it all..big house--lexus--4 kids--hot wife, rich etc...hes absolutely miserable

i have a 95 camry wagon with all my stuff inside....im happy...i  have no debt, and freedom

On 7/6/2022 at 1:59 AM, JimTripper said:

You left out what that better place actually is (again) ????‍♂️

6 feet under?   get busy living or get busy dying---i have no regrets, not do i want any

im 53 and like the challenge....thailand can be that way---going home gets boring...

i like waking up at the beach--or mountains--seeing the moon out my window..fresh air

--tho those who spend tons of money on a tricked out van seems a bit much to me.

You will enjoy that i use a gallon spray jug to use as a shower when out in the woods. $5!

On 7/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, KhunLA said:

Been to Sloppy Joe's bar @ Key West more than a few times. ????

i spent 4 months in key west  lots of homeless living there--i fed many volunteering at soup kitchen    i lived in a remodeled laundry room was size of jail cell..lol   $700 a month! ugh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i spent 4 months in key west  lots of homeless living there--i fed many volunteering at soup kitchen    i lived in a remodeled laundry room was size of jail cell..lol   $700 a month! ugh

I could have easily seen myself living in the Keys, though they were silly priced 25 yrs ago.

Also wasn't a mortgage, rooted person in the USA.  Even though I owned 3 house (5 units) the tenants paid the very short mortgages, and I never finances a car.  Cash guy and only use credit for investment, appreciating assets, that got paid off quick.

Think I moved about 15 times in 25 years, before coming here.  Number 6 move coming up soon for here, though that will be the last.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:30 PM, Hummin said:

friends who have lived in camping vans, and truly enjoy and appreciate life often more  than people who think they have everything.

makes u appreciate things and life more----is why i try to "stay hungry" as once you get "everything"  life becomes nothing......the thrill of the chase......i see my sister and others who retire and then go back to work PT cos they are bored to death.....she worked to get all her "Stuff" and goes BACK to work........what was the point to begin with???  i like the "freedom"

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I could have easily seen myself living in the Keys, though they were silly priced 25 yrs ago.

Also wasn't a mortgage, rooted person in the USA.  Even though I owned 3 house (5 units) the tenants paid the very short mortgages, and I never finances a car.  Cash guy and only use credit for investment, appreciating assets, that got paid off quick.

Think I moved about 15 times in 25 years, before coming here.  Number 6 move coming up soon for here, though that will be the last.

keys was too exp for me and seeing tourists flaunt cash as i struggled was no fun...but did it and was on my bucket list...no desire to ever go back to FLA......crazy state...imo

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

keys was too exp for me and seeing tourists flaunt cash as i struggled was no fun...but did it and was on my bucket list...no desire to ever go back to FLA......crazy state...imo

S. FL / Keys, Caribbean and Mexico was my playground for 20 yrs.  Close and fairly inexpensive.  Bars & diving.

SEA wasn't even a consideration for a holiday, as too far & expensive to get there.  After actually getting here, nah, not a holiday destination.   I dove twice, Phuket & PP, first 2 visits, and haven't dove since.  Mediocre at best, world class, not even close.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody tried house-sitting? Many years ago I chatted online with a Thai girl who house-sat homes in Patum Thani and Ayutthaya provinces with her mother. At the time I didn't ask her anything about it.

And later, around the time of covid lockdowns around the world I saw a few youtube vids of a young American couple who were house-sitting in the UK and were staying in farms, cottages, condos etc., free of charge but had to take care of pets, farm animals (but not always) etc.

Could save a bit of money but there's quite a few constraints though. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

S. FL / Keys, Caribbean and Mexico was my playground for 20 yrs.  Close and fairly inexpensive.  Bars & diving.

SEA wasn't even a consideration for a holiday, as too far & expensive to get there.  After actually getting here, nah, not a holiday destination.   I dove twice, Phuket & PP, first 2 visits, and haven't dove since.  Mediocre at best, world class, not even close.

Most people here don't have a clue what is going.  

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

6 feet under?   get busy living or get busy dying---i have no regrets, not do i want any

im 53 and like the challenge....thailand can be that way---going home gets boring...

i like waking up at the beach--or mountains--seeing the moon out my window..fresh air

--tho those who spend tons of money on a tricked out van seems a bit much to me.

You will enjoy that i use a gallon spray jug to use as a shower when out in the woods. $5!

Sorry mate you are not living, you are barely surviving.

You seem to be content because you know that is all you can afford to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

There are many skint and homeless who do this. It's a survival tactic the mind plays on itself. The mind creates a shell around itself and changes the interpretation of circumstances to reduce stress.

You can find people in prison who believe that it's good for them, they can bring up God, discipline, whatever.

Funny thing is they really believe they are happy and can actually be genuinely happy with their lot. Life is still hard and your crapping in the woods, but you can trick the mind even during torture, it depends on the person. Others turn to drugs to blunt the interpretation which is far more common.

Soldiers do it also. For example, someone acting childish during combat and putting playing cards on dead soldiers, or calling people stupid names like charlie, etc. so the mind turns it into a game.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Anybody tried house-sitting? Many years ago I chatted online with a Thai girl who house-sat homes in Patum Thani and Ayutthaya provinces with her mother. At the time I didn't ask her anything about it.

And later, around the time of covid lockdowns around the world I saw a few youtube vids of a young American couple who were house-sitting in the UK and were staying in farms, cottages, condos etc., free of charge but had to take care of pets, farm animals (but not always) etc.

Could save a bit of money but there's quite a few constraints though. 

yep ive done it---bartered these deals from being a renter to house sitter on a farm and also ran a BNB this way......will likely do the farm thing when i go back this fall...4 acres..

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

There are many skint and homeless who do this. It's a survival tactic the mind plays on itself. The mind creates a shell around itself and changes the interpretation of circumstances to reduce stress.

You can find people in prison who believe that it's good for them, they can bring up God, discipline, whatever.

Funny thing is they really believe they are happy and can actually be genuinely happy with their lot. Life is still hard and your crapping in the woods, but you can trick the mind even during torture, it depends on the person. Others turn to drugs to blunt the interpretation which is far more common.

Soldiers do it also. For example, someone acting childish during combat and putting playing cards on dead soldiers, or calling people stupid names like charlie, etc. so the mind turns it into a game.

is just my exps......folks are free to choose their own path....happiness is a state of mind

18 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

true and true  i am content.....is why i have been bouncing back and forth since 2008

can live a better quality of life in asia.....i go home to work and can get back to asia quicker if i sleep in my car.....by my own personal choice....i simply go home to earn the $$ to return

the states make it hard to have basic human needs...im not the only one "surviving" there

https://www.povertyusa.org/facts

Best way to save money now is going to a nice resort or hotel and tell them to give you the special farang price..