How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

Can somebody explain what this means please? I've read it several times and I still can't figure out what a "monthly repayment on your ATM card" is.

Not sure but I guess by ATM card they mean credit card and you can negotiate the interest rate if you don't pay it off each month. Sounds a bit unlikely but I don't know Thailand banks

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, MrMuddle said:

Marry my wife. I'm Scottish and she makes me look like a spendthrift!

is this another way of saying "  Take my wife ........... please ! " ?

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:18 PM, JimTripper said:

My problem is I don't like that lifestyle.

Although I don't prefer to be around people who are skint, I prefer being outside on the street, outdoor markets, street food, etc. I don't like indoor places with a/c or places where I'm catered to.

There is a lack of risk or edge that I don't like when I am in more expensive venues. They feel to me like a cushion from real life.

You can enjoy street food AND go to more upmarket places. What is real life? 

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can enjoy street food AND go to more upmarket places. What is real life? 

Thanks Fritz, I tried that and it solved my problem. I'm not sure about the life question and will need to grt back to you at a later time when I discover the answer.

11 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

You are only looking at half the coin.

Has your Thailand property appreciated 200+% as it has in some places in the USA over the last 2 to 3 years?

Our US property has appreciated US $325,000 since 2019.

Smart people make it to retirement age with NO mortgage.

With no mortgage, $0 a month housing is the same in your own country or in Thailand.

Your mortgage may be 0 but other costs will likely be higher--including property taxes, HOA fees, and utilities.  If you own a condo in the US, the monthly condo fees are also likely much higher.  My monthly condo fee on my small Virginia condo was $500.   I pay $67 a month in condo fees on my Bangkok condo and $100 a month on my Pattaya condo, both mortgage-free.   Both condos are in doorman buildings with nice amenities in great locations--so, not dives.

You're absolutely right that housing prices here are not rising 200%.  But, the other half of that coin is housing prices here are still affordable--a good thing, I think, for any society.  If one wants to own mortgage-free there are lots of very reasonable condos and homes available here.  If one prefers to rent, also a wide selection, with many nice ones for less than $500 a month. 

Certainly, if you own property in the US I commend you.  Buying my first condo in the US after too many years of renting was the smartest thing I ever did.  However, for others not in that boat trying to keep a roof over their heads, Thailand offers reasonable choices both to own or rent--which saves money in Thailand, the topic of this thread..

• Like 2

If you set your mind to it, you can spend only 300 baht daily. and that will be a normal Thai salary.  No problem.  Only eat locally produced food. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

One really can live relatively cheaply in Thailand.  Street food, local hole in the wall restaurants, buying food and cooking at home.  Stir Fried rice and some veggies and some meats goes a long way.  Laundry not a big deal.  Drinking out at clubs can be a big expense in any country The problem is one often has expenses related to home country.  Americans such as me for example, really need to continue paying Medicare Health monies.  Not required, but if one every returns to the USA, the prices are higher to start medicare again because one gets a 10 percent penalty every year they did not have it.  The lowest Medicare B premium is 187 a month I think now.  And then one probably has a Part D or advantage plan or Drug plan on top of that.  Maybe one maintains their USA driver license, maintains some auto driver insurance, etc.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:58 AM, KIngsofisaan said:

Has your Thailand property appreciated 200+% as it has in some places in the USA over the last 2 to 3 years?

With no mortgage, $0 a month housing is the same in your own country or in Thailand.

Head of the class ^^^ Agree 101%

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, it is. Plenty of people have made fortunes through borrowing money and using credit responsibly.

Actually bought a house one time (estate sale), on CC/cash advance for 9k USD (1990 ish).  Paid brother to bring it up to specs for 6k, lived in it for a while, rented it out, than sold it for 30k couple years later, to the same bother, who had it appraised at 65k, then took out a low interest loan against it, to pay off his high interest CC bills.

Making other people's money work for you is actually quite easy & profitable.  Creative financing ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, patman30 said:

Search google for
"z lib org"
and thank me later.

Don’t need it. Kindle Unlimited AI at 350 baht monthly Presents me with exactly the type of free books it knows I like. Wouldn’t otherwise know these authors/ books even existed so unable to search for them

3 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Thailand the land of busted arsed pensioners. 

How the <deleted> is it possible to work 40 years and end up with nothing? 

Sitting in a 40 year old shoebox fan room.  What a way to spend your golden years.  Shameful!!! 

Pretty easily actually. One divorce or jaded family member is enough. In many other countries it's easy to sue anyone in a minor court and get judgements against you. If you don't pay your bank accounts will be garnished.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

I saved lots living there before the new rules started. Then I vacated to greener pastures.

So basically I was spending about 70K a month before the rules, after I was spending NOTHING.. 

But, to be honest Thailand is such a polluted cesspool, I was going to leave anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Sitting in a 40 year old shoebox fan room.  What a way to spend your golden years.  Shameful!!! 

And sleeping with a hottie 2-3 times a week, Shamefu..

Edited by garyk
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2022 at 7:58 AM, KIngsofisaan said:

Yeah, mine has gone up over 100K in that time. Just a lower middle class home. Totally agree, it costs me much more to live in Thailand than in the US. But, not near the fun, and I can travel and have a blast in one month what is would cost me in a week here. My problem with Thailand it is not a retirement destination for older expats IMO. Way to polluted. Just miserable after you reach a certain age if you have any kind of respiratory problems what so ever. Many other place so much better when you get old, but a blast when younger...

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Be careful! Pride comes before a fall, one serious health issue and you end up in debt paying for it, or that girl you took for grants takes you for everything.... or the government decides to change the property laws and all foreigners lose their "ownership" rights......and those guys in their shoe boxes suddenly look at lot more comfortable.

12 hours ago, whereyougo said:

If all you can afford is a shoebox fan room in TH, then I guess it's better than being homeless elsewhere.

What does $70/฿2500 or less, a month get you in your home country ?  There's 2 bdrm townhouse near me for $100/฿3500, 1.5 kms from the surf, 5-10 min walk to 7-11 & Makro. 

฿10k gets you something quite comfy, condo with pool, gym, or a townhouse if needing more space.

• Like 1