How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

Surprisingly, good unadulterated food doesn't cost much. And basic dishes are easy to cook. 

Stop cruising the bars night after night.  Beer appears to be a major expense for many expats.

Reading, listening to the radio (podcasts), etc, are free.

Walking/Jogging is free.

Needs must.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Think you need a better circle of acquaintances, as I don't know anyone that is 'skint'

Me and the wife, live beyond comfortable on about 30k a month.  Picanha steaks last night for dinner.  Lived on about the same budget when daughter lived with us.

Can live on < 10k a month for housing & utilities (if renting) & less than <10k a month on food (300+ a day).  Easily.

Don't think anyone needs more than that.  If on long term visa, that leave 20k or 45k a month for everything else.  IF you can't live on that, well, anything I'd add would be offensive, so I'll leave it at that.

Agreed, but costs escalate as soon as you start a family. There's no escaping it either.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Let's hope that the 'big powerful countries' come to their senses and stop this war to bring down the prices.

You really think 'this war' has anything to do with the price gouging ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Agreed, but costs escalate as soon as you start a family. There's no escaping it either.

That's a pretty voluntary thing, starting a family, especially if in your retirement and maybe already had one back in the motherland.  Did that, done that, got the grandkids, and really want to do it again, especially if putting a squeeze on your budget.

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I give myself a budget of 500 bt a day--and i rarely spend it all in a day

I have typical thai room--studio--ac--tv--mini fridge--small but comfy n cozy in city 3500

ride my bicycle everyday--rarely ride my 95 honda dream--paid for--bought 2nd hand

as others said i dont buy new things--2nd hand clothes etc....nice and soft--brand names 20-30bt

i shop at local market--spend about 100 on food for the day  room comes to about 115 a day

I may go out once a week--with my sangsom bottle..just wander and meet locals on street

as i dont need to be in a bar to drink--pay double and get the bargirl asking me for an OJ

Im happy cooking my own food--raw chicken at lotus is cheap to cook..steam veggies-rice 10 bt

Watch a movie online streamed with my chromecast and AIS wifi  200 bt unlimited a month

I live in needs--not wants--but if i really want stg I can get it--but im happy living like a local

I have all the basic human needs --happiness comes from within--not from junky material things--Buddha seems to agree.....

When i go back home to work i sleep in my old 95 camry wagon i tinted out and put a bed in the back--use a 24 hrs gym...eat at markets and was doing some work similar to grab-line delivery

Once u get rid off all the junk you realize what u really need--i always come here with a carry on

You are the richest man here.

Mathew 17. 24.- 20.21.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

The above said, I wonder how the USA would respond if Russia started moving its weapons to neighbouring countries almost on the USA's borders ?

Mexico and Canada?

18 hours ago, Martin Brit said:

Maybe you should have had a pension and not a pile of cash. Cash is no good to you. As it runs out eventually. A pension runs til you are dead.

Hindsight is 20:20.......

World runs on debt....

12 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Then you made unwarranted long term financial assumptions and poor investment decisions. Amongst other investments I retained my house in U.K. Hertfordshire commuter belt which not only increased substantially in value but I recently increased the rent BY £500 per month (20,000 baht + ) which more than takes care of inflationary pressures here. I am miffed about paying higher rate tax now though… ???? 

I saw quite a few people having rental issues back in the UK which made me feel I did not want that sort of aggravation. 

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I save money by shopping in the day markets for fresh fruit and vegetables. The supermarkets are more expensive, with unripe products out of cool stores.

I buy many things secondhand, I don't care what friends, neighbors and relatives think.

I don't smoke, drink a couple of whiskies on the weekend. Golf is my only luxury. I live very well here on an average of 55,000 baht a month. Every month, I record what I have spent.

At my current rate of drawdown of my capital in Australia, I will run that out somewhere north of age 110. I will still have an Australian OAP, unless that implodes.

I don't accumulate money in Thailand. Having said that, I will not run out of money here. Which is more than I can say if I lived in Australia, where pensioners are shelling out more than 50% of their income just to have a roof over their heads.

That's the biggie, isn't it?  Keeping a roof over your head.  Usually the biggest monthly expense for many, most anywhere.  I know when I lived in America and was working, keeping a roof over my head was, like your pensioners, about 50% of my monthly income, too.  In the beginning years probably more than 50% as I was low paid.  And, it was 50% whether I was renting or when I finally scraped up enough money to buy a condo.  

Which brings me to Thailand.  Whether I rent or own here, it costs me far, far less than what I'd be spending monthly in the US for something comparable.  With a much smaller amount being spent on keeping a roof over my head, it leaves lots more to handle the price increases on other things.  And, while rents and housing prices are skyrocketing in some other countries, that has not been the case here.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

That's the biggie, isn't it?  Keeping a roof over your head.  Usually the biggest monthly expense for many, most anywhere.  I know when I lived in America and was working, keeping a roof over my head was, like your pensioners, about 50% of my monthly income, too.  In the beginning years probably more than 50% as I was low paid.  And, it was 50% whether I was renting or when I finally scraped up enough money to buy a condo.  

Which brings me to Thailand.  Whether I rent or own here, it costs me far, far less than what I'd be spending monthly in the US for something comparable.  With a much smaller amount being spent on keeping a roof over my head, it leaves lots more to handle the price increases on other things.  And, while rents and housing prices are skyrocketing in some other countries, that has not been the case here.  

Rents in TH start less than 2000 baht a month.  Granted, not much more than a hotel room w/fan, maybe an AC, which if going CC, you wouldn't use anyway.

Townhouse 100 meters from us, 2 bdrm/2 story was 3500 a month, and 1.5 kms from surf, < 5 min to 7-11, 15 min. to Makro...walking.  We're paying 6k for exact same, since having a dog ... ????

Thailand can be very inexpensive, options abound.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of things are safer than lots of other things.

We all die. Sure, in Thailand the chance to die in a motorcycle accident is higher than in other countries, but the risk is still not high. There are also risks crossing the street, falling down a balcony and many other risks.

I ride motorcycles in Thailand since over 20 years and I didn't have an accident with any injuries until now. Could it happen? Yes. But then, lots of things could happen. A bike makes life much easier in Thailand. I could afford a car, I don't want one. 

I understand, I live in the sticks with no traffic at all so driving my car to the market takes 5 minutes but if I was in a big metropolis like BKK or Chiang Mai I'd drive a motorcycle to save time. I'm happy you never had a accident and hope you never will but Thailand is one the most dangerous countries on the road. It's just a fact.

16 hours ago, Muhendis said:

An idelic life style, but this thread is about saving money.

The cost of setting up your mini farm etc would be an investment with a payback time of:-

• Five years for off grid.
  • Never for home gym. 
  • Twenty or more years for the farm.
  • Fruit, fish and egg range from six weeks to five years.
  • Sheep would be difficult to impossible in Thailand.

Stop drinking?

From reading this forum for a few years I would say that is an addiction which many would find difficult to break.

Have to disagree on the home gym. If used regularly, it will pay back more than money can buy, in good health. Huge potential savings on medical expenses. Use mine every day, one of the best buys I ever made.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:40 AM, webfact said:

Most Thai banks will also help you out by reducing your monthly repayments on your ATM cards

Can somebody explain what this means please? I've read it several times and I still can't figure out what a "monthly repayment on your ATM card" is.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Surprisingly, good unadulterated food doesn't cost much. And basic dishes are easy to cook. 

Stop cruising the bars night after night.  Beer appears to be a major expense for many expats.

Reading, listening to the radio (podcasts), etc, are free.

Walking/Jogging is free.

Needs must.

You might be surprised as to how many don't get it - newbies or old hands. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, newnative said:

That is the big score in Thailand.

My total accommodation costs in Thailand (including water/electric)  represent 3% of my monthly income.

When I lived, and worked,  in the UK it was nearer to 25%.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, PJ71 said:

And just wait for death to take you - fantastic...

Life is what you make it to be! I'm ok and have freedom to do what I want when I want, but if I had to save more money, it is easy. 

A good life in my eyes

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Muhendis said:

An idelic life style, but this thread is about saving money.

The cost of setting up your mini farm etc would be an investment with a payback time of:-

• Five years for off grid.
  • Never for home gym. 
  • Twenty or more years for the farm.
  • Fruit, fish and egg range from six weeks to five years.
  • Sheep would be difficult to impossible in Thailand.

Stop drinking?

From reading this forum for a few years I would say that is an addiction which many would find difficult to break.

I'm already set with our farm, except off grid. Do not need much alcohol so no worries. 

Opportunity.    

Money buys opportunity.   The ability to leave, be free, adapt, travel, withstand.....

A few hundred baht a day is a prison, no adaptation available, casket, suffocating, famine.

Imagine being over 50 and having to think about if you should buy a 35,000 phone or a 5,000 phone that "sort of" does the same thing?   Opportunity allows you to enjoy nice things.

Great pizza for 1000 baht in falang land or 20 baht noodle soup.  Up to you, I guess, but a 10-year old kid will always choose what's clearly better.

Don't worry, after Bitcoin hits 1,000...... buy!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I'm already set with our farm, except off grid. Do not need much alcohol so no worries. 

Give me a month, and I'm independent (back up only) of the grid & city water.  End of the year, hopefully, petrol free.  Actually am petrol free now, but car/ICE is convenient for stocking up once a month.

Small parcel (100tw) for farming. ????  Gulf <5kms away for seafood.  Person we bought farming lot off of, drop off some fish last week, as he has a small fishing boat, and anytime we want to go out with him, we're welcome.

Thought that was pretty cool of him.  He always catches more than he can eat or store, so give it away.  Can't wait to have a harvest, so we can reciprocate.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You really think 'this war' has anything to do with the price gouging ?

Might be surprised as to how many have bought into the repeated ideal that this little skirmish in Europe is the crux blame for most everything........

Not enough clear and independent thinkers that question or challenge the usual establishment narrative.

Pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Give me a month, and I'm independent (back up only) of the grid & city water.  End of the year, hopefully, petrol free.  Actually am petrol free now, but car/ICE is convenient for stocking up once a month.

Small parcel (100tw) for farming. ????  Gulf <5kms away for seafood.  Person we bought farming lot off of, drop off some fish last week, as he has a small fishing boat, and anytime we want to go out with him, we're welcome.

Thought that was pretty cool of him.  He always catches more than he can eat or store, so give it away.  Can't wait to have a harvest, so we can reciprocate.

Always good to have a plan, and also do not expect everything going to be the same in future as we are used to now.

Everything that makes you stronger, and keeps you busy, can not harm you is my motto, and for those who think it is a boring life, well I'm not going to advocate my life to anybody else. Each and one for itself. I'm happy with what I'm doing. If I was not, I would have done something else. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Might be surprised as to how many have bought into the repeated ideal that this little skirmish in Europe is the crux blame for most everything........

Not enough clear and independent thinkers that question or challenge the usual establishment narrative.

Pathetic. 

I'm laughing, but I'm really saf how we are played sometimes, but that's the game, chess with thousand of pieces and options for next move. 

As a friend of mine said after being in the war, the first thing you loose trust in, is the media. Just another brick in the wall

Things i do which save money
(not always done to save money)

Make my own soap and deodorant (done for health but much cheaper)
make dish soap from recycled oil/fats
use tallow for cooking (healthier and cheap)

use washing machine, dishwahser etc BEFORE 9am
(off peak electricity is 10pm - 9am)
also run my pool pump 4am - 9am during OP

raise chickens for eggs
grow own food for self and chickens
make yoghurt and cream cheese (can do with discounted milk, even cheaper)
turn lights off more