How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

ebikes are good for saving so long as you ride on the pavement my battery lasts ages for small trips

Illegal, Immoral & Dangerous.

Grow Up. Before you Cause or Have a Serious Accident & Ruin Lives. you’re not in bloody Toytown.????????

• Confused 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:34 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I give myself a budget of 500 bt a day--and i rarely spend it all in a day

I have typical thai room--studio--ac--tv--mini fridge--small but comfy n cozy in city 3500

ride my bicycle everyday--rarely ride my 95 honda dream--paid for--bought 2nd hand

as others said i dont buy new things--2nd hand clothes etc....nice and soft--brand names 20-30bt

i shop at local market--spend about 100 on food for the day  room comes to about 115 a day

I may go out once a week--with my sangsom bottle..just wander and meet locals on street

as i dont need to be in a bar to drink--pay double and get the bargirl asking me for an OJ

Im happy cooking my own food--raw chicken at lotus is cheap to cook..steam veggies-rice 10 bt

Watch a movie online streamed with my chromecast and AIS wifi  200 bt unlimited a month

I live in needs--not wants--but if i really want stg I can get it--but im happy living like a local

I have all the basic human needs --happiness comes from within--not from junky material things--Buddha seems to agree.....

When i go back home to work i sleep in my old 95 camry wagon i tinted out and put a bed in the back--use a 24 hrs gym...eat at markets and was doing some work similar to grab-line delivery

Once u get rid off all the junk you realize what u really need--i always come here with a carry on

Would everything be dandy if you had a tent under the overpass? You need to draw the line somewhere.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, garyk said:

Yeah, mine has gone up over 100K in that time. Just a lower middle class home. Totally agree, it costs me much more to live in Thailand than in the US. But, not near the fun, and I can travel and have a blast in one month what is would cost me in a week here. My problem with Thailand it is not a retirement destination for older expats IMO. Way to polluted. Just miserable after you reach a certain age if you have any kind of respiratory problems what so ever. Many other place so much better when you get old, but a blast when younger...

I think you hit the magic answer. You reach a certain age, things all across the board just change.

Great to join the chase when you are a young man, but when you get old and there is NO chase, a whole basket of new issues pop up with health being number 1.

Starting to investigate better options

On 7/4/2022 at 8:45 AM, whereyougo said:

Thailand the land of busted arsed pensioners. 

How the <deleted> is it possible to work 40 years and end up with nothing? 

Sitting in a 40 year old shoebox fan room.  What a way to spend your golden years.  Shameful!!! 

BAP (Busted Arsed Pensioners)

You should trademark that!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:07 AM, patman30 said:

Smart people never have a mortgage????

For any location,

House appreciation is meaningless right up until the day you actually sell,
and inflation must then also be factored in.

some countries still Tax home owners, so "$0 a month housing" doesn't always apply everywhere

The only people that claim that live in a shoe box with a fan and don't own anything

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I give myself a budget of 500 bt a day--and i rarely spend it all in a day

I have typical thai room--studio--ac--tv--mini fridge--small but comfy n cozy in city 3500

ride my bicycle everyday--rarely ride my 95 honda dream--paid for--bought 2nd hand

as others said i dont buy new things--2nd hand clothes etc....nice and soft--brand names 20-30bt

i shop at local market--spend about 100 on food for the day  room comes to about 115 a day

I may go out once a week--with my sangsom bottle..just wander and meet locals on street

as i dont need to be in a bar to drink--pay double and get the bargirl asking me for an OJ

Im happy cooking my own food--raw chicken at lotus is cheap to cook..steam veggies-rice 10 bt

Watch a movie online streamed with my chromecast and AIS wifi  200 bt unlimited a month

I live in needs--not wants--but if i really want stg I can get it--but im happy living like a local

I have all the basic human needs --happiness comes from within--not from junky material things--Buddha seems to agree.....

When i go back home to work i sleep in my old 95 camry wagon i tinted out and put a bed in the back--use a 24 hrs gym...eat at markets and was doing some work similar to grab-line delivery

Once u get rid off all the junk you realize what u really need--i always come here with a carry on

That is not living to 99.99% of the people.

That is just barely surviving.

I would not want to be living out of a car when I am an old man

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/4/2022 at 10:20 AM, garyk said:

Yeah, mine has gone up over 100K in that time. Just a lower middle class home. Totally agree, it costs me much more to live in Thailand than in the US. But, not near the fun, and I can travel and have a blast in one month what is would cost me in a week here. My problem with Thailand it is not a retirement destination for older expats IMO. Way to polluted. Just miserable after you reach a certain age if you have any kind of respiratory problems what so ever. Many other place so much better when you get old, but a blast when younger...

You left out what that better place actually is (again) ????‍♂️

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

I think you hit the magic answer. You reach a certain age, things all across the board just change.

Great to join the chase when you are a young man, but when you get old and there is NO chase, a whole basket of new issues pop up with health being number 1.

Starting to investigate better options

You left out the beter options part (again) ????‍♂️

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

yep  we all make personal choices and carve our own paths....overpass--too noisy!

It's more likely it sucks and your either in denial or just don't want to admit it.

Living in a car and peeing at a nearby gym sucks, but if you can do it and stay happy, that's great.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hummin said:

He is happy, whats the problem? And to be true, seems like you have no idea how most people in this world live their daily life, and are happy with very little to what we consider as a minimum to have for a decent life. 

Sometimes you meet people who have everything, and still act like deleted and complain about everything. 

Don't see to many grown men bragging about living in their car.

We have a word for that in the civilized world, it is called homelessness.

If you think it is a minimum to have a decent life, sell up and go live in your car.

Come back here in a year and let us all know how decent a life you have?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Perhaps you also then make your own food, clothes, furniture, books and vehicles. There are natural limits to savings. ????????

Yes.
we do currently grow some food and have chickens
when our new house is finished we will be moving to our new farm with solar, well etc.,

my plan is to only eat off my own land
i have been woodworking and making bits of furniture, and will be making most of the furniture for our new house
making books is more costly than downloading????
i already have a road legal vehicle, but i will be making small vehicles for the farm
as for clothes i already have plenty, but will likely buy a roll of organic cloth
and make my own in future as i can sew
i also stopped buying synthetic clothing a few years ago (for health)

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Would everything be dandy if you had a tent under the overpass? You need to draw the line somewhere.

Some guys who look  local or from neighbouring countries have already claimed the overpass near where I live......

8 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

The only people that claim that live in a shoe box with a fan and don't own anything

Incorrect
i live in a 5 bedroom pool villa on 1 rai in the city
did have a few condos, but sold them recently
have a few plots of land
and moving onto my farm soon
no mortgage, no debts

We are not the same.

Edited by patman30
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Don't see to many grown men bragging about living in their car.

We have a word for that in the civilized world, it is called homelessness.

If you think it is a minimum to have a decent life, sell up and go live in your car.

Come back here in a year and let us all know how decent a life you have?

Many people live in confined places/rooms while working. We lived on a 35 foot boat for months while going around the coastline fishing, have lived a few tourist seasons in Lavvu up north of polar circle, and had many friends who have lived in camping vans, and truly enjoy and appreciate life often more  than people who think they have everything. My room offshore is a small box smaller than my bed. 

Especially when younger we used to travel for adventure and sports, we worked hard for a limited time of a year to achieve our goals, and travelled and enjoyed the rest. 

As long you put a meaning to it, its worth it, and also good to know you really do not need to have much to be happy.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, patman30 said:

Yes.
we do currently grow some food and have chickens
when our new house is finished we will be moving to our new farm with solar, well etc.,

my plan is to only eat off my own land
i have been woodworking and making bits of furniture, and will be making most of the furniture for our new house
making books is more costly than downloading????
i already have a road legal vehicle, but i will be making small vehicles for the farm
as for clothes i already have plenty, but will likely buy a roll of organic cloth
and make my own in future as i can sew
i also stopped buying synthetic clothing a few years ago (for health)

Wow! Consider myself asked & answered …. Incredibly !
Seriously Outstanding !????????

Certainly this lifestyle  has optimized “ savings” beyond anything I could imagine or tolerate / perform myself. ???????? I Honestly Salute You.

11 hours ago, patman30 said:

Incorrect
i live in a 5 bedroom pool villa on 1 rai in the city
did have a few condos, but sold them recently
have a few plots of land
and moving onto my farm soon
no mortgage, no debts

We are not the same.

You left out your Ferrari's and Speedboats.

• Confused 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:22 AM, sungod said:

This article brought to you by the guy who said at the beginning of the week there is no better time to visit Thailand as its cheap here.

Cant make it up!

at  36.07 Thb to the USD, i dont reckon its a bad time to be in Thailand at all. in fact, every time  transfer money in its like Christmas. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, worgeordie said:

I remember the good old times here ,Petrol 8 Baht a ltr. 

you could get a trolly of food for 500 Baht , interest rates

at the banks , I once got 18% ,but the people were a lot

happier then ,things were a lot more freewheeling.

All the cars were old ,never seen a Merc or BMW ,  

there was none of today's ,I want the latest phone

(as there wasn't any ) but you know what I mean.

Then came 1978 when the bubble burst ,and the

Baht crash , our neighbour , the family had a 

business , they borrowed a Million US dollars , 

but did not invest it in the business ,they bought

new cars ,stocks and shares ,this was before the

crash and stock market was doing well, I don't

know to this day if the paid it off.

So when interest rates began to fall , had to get out

of cash and started to buy property ,  which could

be found cheaply , renting houses was easy as there

were a lot of Farangs , missionary groups , etc.

Today , nothing seems easy , years  of nearly negative

interest rates ,Inflation out of control, very few Farangs

around looking to rent long term , I still have more than

I arrived here with , but for last 2 years have not been

able to save a Satang , but still OK. 

How Thailand has changed , too much of everything ,

cars, Malls ,and pollution, most people now don't seem to have the

same attitude , consumerism ,maybe a bit greed ,it's

all about money now ,go into debt to get it, no wonder

the people are not happy.

Regards Worgeordie 

1978 baht crash? err what?

22 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

That is not living to 99.99% of the people.

That is just barely surviving.

I would not want to be living out of a car when I am an old man

correct....is my choice and you are free to do as u wish----i enjoy the challenge as some have to options about living in a car----i enjoy the feeling of paying zero $$ in rent and sleep like a baby

you say surviving--some say is living.....hence van llife movement.....thanks for sharing!

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It's more likely it sucks and your either in denial or just don't want to admit it.

Living in a car and peeing at a nearby gym sucks, but if you can do it and stay happy, that's great.

i bought a 95 camry wagon for that purpose..tinted the windows and put a nice bed in it--i travel where ever i please to do delivery work and park at night--many 24 hr gyms that offer a workout--massage chairs and showers are everywhere in my work zones ..some even offer free food....$20 a month--im working and making money rent free so i can travel to thailand.....sorry this upsets you so much.....guess its up to personal choice .....enjoy your 30 yr mortgage ????

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i bought a 95 camry wagon for that purpose..tinted the windows and put a nice bed in it--i travel where ever i please to do delivery work and park at night--many 24 hr gyms that offer a workout--massage chairs and showers are everywhere in my work zones ..some even offer free food....$20 a month--im working and making money rent free so i can travel to thailand.....sorry this upsets you so much.....guess its up to personal choice .....enjoy your 30 yr mortgage ????

If you could afford an apt would you refuse it and live in the car?

On 7/4/2022 at 6:43 PM, trainman34014 said:

Seems you need to get out of the City into Rural Area's and see how the majority of 'ordinary' Thai's live !

Thx, but I dont need to, I know how they lived. My wife's family are from Roi Et, Korat and Chumphon and I've spent enough time in those places to witness their daily  lives. But to your point,  not every ordinary Thai as you stated  lives in the " rural area". They have an emerging middle class and they too represent Thailand of today and not just the villagers.

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

If you could afford an apt would you refuse it and live in the car?

nope....is why i live part time here...affordable housing--healthy food choices--healthcare

the states is a rip off.....i only go back there to work....not to mention its a toxic place..

have my own private little studio here...best i can find back home is a rented room-$$$$$$

private studio apt here  $100     rented room in a shared house back home $700++++

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, worgeordie said:

I remember the good old times here ,Petrol 8 Baht a ltr. 

you could get a trolly of food for 500 Baht , interest rates

at the banks , I once got 18% ,but the people were a lot

happier then ,things were a lot more freewheeling.

All the cars were old ,never seen a Merc or BMW ,  

there was none of today's ,I want the latest phone

(as there wasn't any ) but you know what I mean.

Then came 1978 when the bubble burst ,and the

Baht crash , our neighbour , the family had a 

business , they borrowed a Million US dollars , 

but did not invest it in the business ,they bought

new cars ,stocks and shares ,this was before the

crash and stock market was doing well, I don't

know to this day if the paid it off.

So when interest rates began to fall , had to get out

of cash and started to buy property ,  which could

be found cheaply , renting houses was easy as there

were a lot of Farangs , missionary groups , etc.

Today , nothing seems easy , years  of nearly negative

interest rates ,Inflation out of control, very few Farangs

around looking to rent long term , I still have more than

I arrived here with , but for last 2 years have not been

able to save a Satang , but still OK. 

How Thailand has changed , too much of everything ,

cars, Malls ,and pollution, most people now don't seem to have the

same attitude , consumerism ,maybe a bit greed ,it's

all about money now ,go into debt to get it, no wonder

the people are not happy.

Regards Worgeordie 

I would honestly love to know more about your journey here in Thailand. It seems that you have been through a lot of the country's new trends/phases.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:30 PM, Hummin said:

Many people live in confined places/rooms while working. We lived on a 35 foot boat for months while going around the coastline fishing, have lived a few tourist seasons in Lavvu up north of polar circle, and had many friends who have lived in camping vans, and truly enjoy and appreciate life often more  than people who think they have everything. My room offshore is a small box smaller than my bed. 

Especially when younger we used to travel for adventure and sports, we worked hard for a limited time of a year to achieve our goals, and travelled and enjoyed the rest. 

As long you put a meaning to it, its worth it, and also good to know you really do not need to have much to be happy.

i worked a season on maine coast cooking on historic schooner--no electric!!!  pure wind

i slept under the toilets in a cubby---woke up at 4am to get the wood stove going and made all food from scratch......toughest job i ever had but was an adventure for sure..

material things dont make me happy...its all about the experiences and memories!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 2:17 AM, JimTripper said:

sidenote i had a 32oz gatorade bottle foe #1 in the car.....used a store for #2......

nobody uses the gym showers and they were 24 hr so id go late at night before bed