How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

3 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Don't drink ( Diabetes ) I Don't go to places of Entertainment,But I DO Smoke ( My ONLY Pleasure ) & Have done for 60 Years so Trying to STOP Is Nigh on Impossible or Very DIFFICULT to say the least,I Have Cut Down from 20 A Day to round about 10 /12 Daily....It's The Craving & It's A LOT Safer than YaBa !! But I'm on a Very Reduced State Pension & The WELL Over Valued Thai Baht Certainly Doesn't HELP !!

Roll your own cigs and save $$$ and the quality is hugely better too..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

You need to get out more.

At least half the retirees I meet are skint. One guy cooked vegetables on a hibachi to make soup on his balcony every day. Another guy argued about an extra $5 for a hotel room, others spend their nights looking for a 20 baht discount on a beer.

There's plenty of cheapskates around. In fact it seems to be the norm unless your holed up in a fancy place and don't go streetside much.

All depends to what placed you go. Loads of places in BKK where you will never see one as they can't afford it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I see the price of cooking gas was going up yesterday..... on top of another recent vehicle fuel increase. World seems to be in a negative spiral.... what on Earth are those Russians trying to achieve?

Putin needs Ukraine for a table extension?

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Most foreigners that complain about cost’s in Thailand seem to have had  issues in their home country also. 
Maybe they wouldn’t have these issues if they planned their finances better .  Instead of blaming the countries and everyone else. 

I think that's not just true of costs ... 

4 hours ago, shackleton said:

Shop around  look for deals when in the Supermarket 

Buy I get 1 free ???? 

When I shop I  walk round first eyeing up any deals  there are money savings to be made ???? 

That one is a farce. Last night they showed docu on that. No shop management wanted to say how or what on those actions. So they investigated it and it seems it is more expensive. If you dont have the action then you are even more paying for it. You MUST buy with the action, but never the less, you pay more.

It was said, in Germany it was cheaper. So they checked and indeed it was way more cheaper then the so called 1 buy 1 free. You could buy 2 in Germany for the "normal" price and cost you way less.  

In Germany they dont have such actions. People living close to German border, do shop in Germany and the rest of the people in the country is cheated and pay way much more. It is just, as i thought already, a ripping scheme, nothing more.

Be aware what you are doing with your money, if you spend it , it is gone. feel happy then with the purchase.

I bought my car new (thought i would never do that) and this year it is 19 years old. Change it for new one? Why?

My phone is already again about 5 years old, new one , why? It is still working. I bought it when my Samsung S2 couldnt handle anymore the update in OS system, they forced me to buy a new one. 

People nowadays think they MUST spend, consume. Just be wise.

Saving on food? Thats tricky ,as all has to do with petrol, gas and supply. Petrol for transportation, gas for making it and supply as raw materials. One war and the ants nest is excited and prices go up in everything.

I wonder if China waits until end of Ukraine war, or one of these days start with Taiwan.

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

It's still many bahts cheaper than the UK by along shot. 

No standing charges. No council tax. VAT at 7%. Diesel about 85/90p a litre etc...

No TV licences.

• Like 1

Some shops help customers save money... Went to Lotus's today, which, at that time, was pretty empty. Almost through the checkout, when I hear senior staff behind my back making a racist comment (incl. a reference to Covid). Well, thank you, Lotus's, I won't bother your business anymore...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Martin Brit said:

Maybe you should have had a pension and not a pile of cash. Cash is no good to you. As it runs out eventually. A pension runs til you are dead.

Even better, have 2 pensions.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It may not have snuck up on us, but those of us who saved all our working lives, and 20 years ago, felt secure in our finances and had many a pound sterling that would forever be worth more than 50 THB, and yield 5% interest at home... feel we are being robbed now by surging inflation. 

Then you made unwarranted long term financial assumptions and poor investment decisions. Amongst other investments I retained my house in U.K. Hertfordshire commuter belt which not only increased substantially in value but I recently increased the rent BY £500 per month (20,000 baht + ) which more than takes care of inflationary pressures here. I am miffed about paying higher rate tax now though… ???? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

Build a mini farm off grid with home gym, become semi vegetarian where you eat only vegetables, fruit, fish, egg, and sheep from farm, and stop drinking?

And just wait for death to take you - fantastic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I am miffed about paying higher rate tax now though…

Into every life a little rain must fall ????

It seem like you made some good decisions.

Well done ????

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Roll your own cigs and save $$$ and the quality is hugely better too..

And don't buy cigarette paper. some of the villagers where I live use dried banana leaves.

Hand Rolling Tobacco, Image & Photo (Free Trial) | Bigstock

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

Build a mini farm off grid with home gym, become semi vegetarian where you eat only vegetables, fruit, fish, egg, and sheep from farm, and stop drinking?

An idelic life style, but this thread is about saving money.

The cost of setting up your mini farm etc would be an investment with a payback time of:-

• Five years for off grid.
  • Never for home gym. 
  • Twenty or more years for the farm.
  • Fruit, fish and egg range from six weeks to five years.
  • Sheep would be difficult to impossible in Thailand.

Stop drinking?

From reading this forum for a few years I would say that is an addiction which many would find difficult to break.

Edited by Muhendis

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:
  • Sheep would be difficult to impossible in Thailand.

There are sheep on a farm on the road between Chiang Rai and Thoeng, another farm up in Doi Chang also has them.

It's a common misconception sheep can't do well in a hot climate, anyone who has mustered sheep in outback Australia knows their body temperature is actually less at their skin than the wool surface.

• Like 1

Real Savings ARE Possible without “Trade Off ” unless you’ve already got entire budget “ buttoned down”. 

Start with a Health Review. 

Savings Irrelevant if you’re Dropping Dead Soon ! 

So Diet & Execise & Medical Check.

Go Vegetarian +Local Fish / Chicken. Stop consuming Red Meat /Cigs/DrugsAlcohol/Imports. 

Then Big Value Item Review.

Use Local Markets ( with care) for Food, Clothing, Household , shop around for Broker Insurances, tightly control Quality/Safety/Scope/Costs for Contracted House & Vehicle Work, drive & travel less, 91 grade petrol for 95 if possible, try warmer AC 26-28 degrees at night, watch Electric & Private Water Costs, don’t “ eat out” or limit to 300 baht / once weekly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stereolab said:

Even better, have 2 pensions.

Most have already paid three times over for that pension with limited frugal life, low paid Govt. work or series of <deleted>ty Private employee jobs, high taxes and fund losses.

Pension funds know you’ll on average be dead 5-8 years after retirement. With your biggest asset, your house, going to ungrateful relatives waiting for your death. 

Not this Guy. My Built Up Investment Wealth is my Pension + still get a minimum Half Govt Pension as pocket money despite very little contributions.

My original home family long since “ launched” at my substantial expense, under “ living will” I guess and know they’re getting nothing more. Thai Lady / Son get what’s left. 

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could buy a new scooter (or a decent bike) and learn to ride. 

yeah tell that to the 80 year old Chiang Mai expat on a 100k custom bike that got killed by a Chinese that got in his way without warning. He had been living here for 30 years BTW, so you still have time to change your mind.  A car is always safer in Thailand. 

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, buy a pick-up, the latest mobile phone, all the mod-cons, live on take aways , borrow ridiculously and live well beyond your means without a plan to pay it back. I like your out of the box thinking.

... you forgot the gambling; cards and animal fights for the boys, mahjong for the girls.