How can we save money living in Thailand?

webfact

I see the price of cooking gas was going up yesterday..... on top of another recent vehicle fuel increase. World seems to be in a negative spiral.... what on Earth are those Russians trying to achieve?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I presume you pay an annual charge for the card, and would pay if you made withdrawals out of your region. 

300 Baht Annual fee for the Debit Card, and 15 Baht per transaction / ATM withdrawal outside of your home province

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can't believe anyone needs to count satang, that's here on a marriage or retirement visa.

You need to get out more.

At least half the retirees I meet are skint. One guy cooked vegetables on a hibachi to make soup on his balcony every day. Another guy argued about an extra $5 for a hotel room, others spend their nights looking for a 20 baht discount on a beer.

There's plenty of cheapskates around. In fact it seems to be the norm unless your holed up in a fancy place and don't go streetside much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

This article brought to you by the guy who said at the beginning of the week there is no better time to visit Thailand as its cheap here.

Cant make it up!

I knew it was him before I even clicked on the article. Now, what is "outgoings?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's no fee on ATM cards withdrawals if used within the same province.
But now we can't do completely without ATM cards (saving on the small annual fee) using the cardless ATM function in the bank app.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Yes you can, but nothing in life comes free.

(Here's what my comment means for the dim wits. When you save money on something there is always a trade off. You either get less quality, service, or take on increased risk in some manner. Saving money is an illusion, but you can spend less if needed).

You are quite right. I have my own home and we have no mains sewage or mains water. The home, garden, septic tank, well and water collection all require maintenance but unlike money, time is not in short supply.