Poached Egg - how?

26 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Its like piercing the top of a microwave dinner. If you don't it might blow up and splatter the microwave (first time it happened, what a mess). 

And of course no vinegar added (yuk) and the egg keeps nice and round..no breaking up. And best part it takes less than 5 minutes from breaking eggs to taking the first bite.  A winner for me.

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The only way. Spot of butter then drop the egg in.

You can see the eggs poaching and lift out when you want.

41kRW7LsOTL._SL500_.jpg

These are the best but I've found a good alternative, i use aluminium foil custard tart things in a saucepan of water, does the same as above image

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vinci said:

i tried some on these method but the problem is Thai eggs are garbage, its not fresh so the eggs just dissolve in the water

We get our eggs from small Lotus. Always excellent and super fresh. You know where you break them in water or in a pan and they barely run? and the yolk sits up high on the white? been buying em there for 8 years. Big C, Makro awful. Local sellers iffy as you never know how long they have been out in the heat

On 7/8/2022 at 4:51 AM, scubascuba3 said:

One reason i stopped doing poached eggs is because you'd get inconsistent results due to probably eggs in the same box having different freshness.

Now i either fry or boil eggs

My regular 'egg' style is curried egg(s).

Boil the egg(s), soft or hard, slice the egg with an egg slicer ot however, add a soup spoon of butter or margarine and salt and pepper and then mix in a decent amount of western style curry powder.

Serve on toast or in sandwich (toasted/no toast).

Great snack (for me). 

On 7/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, youreavinalaff said:

The egg does not end up tasting of vinegar at all.

By using the vinegar there is no need for all of the kerfuffle in your post.

The simmer/vinegar/crack or dimple-drop/swirl method is kerfuffle. Or, as I prefer, too much faffing about.

Yes, you look like a proper Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay but IMHO life's too short (and nobody's watching).

The vinegar-free, non-simmering, non-swirl in a small cup/bowl/glass with water and nuke in the microwave works every time.

But paramount of course and as mentioned by previous eggsperts, fresh eggs!

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The simmer/vinegar/crack or dimple-drop/swirl method is kerfuffle. Or, as I prefer, too much faffing about.

Yes, you look like a proper Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay but IMHO life's too short (and nobody's watching).

The vinegar-free, non-simmering, non-swirl in a small cup/bowl/glass with water and nuke in the microwave works every time.

But paramount of course and as mentioned by previous eggsperts, fresh eggs!

My method is no more difficult than boiling an egg.

Plus, my microwave is further from the sink than the hob. I'd need to walk further. ????????????????????

I do mine on a regular dinner plate in the microwave.

I cover the plate with a plastic lid, and put a soup bowl on top, to prevent that if they explode they plaster the complete internals of the oven.

Then instead of putting the microwave clock on 2.5 minutes, I do it in 1 minute increments.

Never had a nuclear event in the microwave, since I switched to increments.

• 3 months later...

Having read this topic a while back. I started to try different methods.

I've been poaching rather than frying eggs for sometime now, since reading literature that suggests eggs aren't quite so bad for us if not fried.

Here is the method I now use: heat water to a rolling boil. Break egg into a teacup. Turn heat down to medium. Lower the teacup into the pan at an angle that allows the water to enter. Wait a few seconds for the egg to start cooking then remove the cup. Allow egg to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon.

Perfect results every time.

• Like 2