Poached Egg - how?

OK guys, how do you make a good poached egg like the restautants serve?

Do you use a gizmo? I just bought from lazada a metal 3 round slot gizmo and it's useless. What do you use? 

This is what I bought  Egg Poachers Egg Boiler 3 Stainless Steel Grids for Cooking Eggs Non-Stick Pocket Egg Cups | Lazada.co.th

I also have a oblong plastic two egg microwave poacher which is reasonable but leaves the eggs a bit dry or if I cook for less time, the whites are too runny.

Suggestions please.

Edited by YorkshireTyke

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Does it not depend on the power of the microwave?   Most are 800 watts.    Looks good though.

Sorry Charlie, I replied before reading your answer.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobtheblob said:

Simmering water a touch of vinegar swirl crack the egg into a small bowl then drop it into the the middle simple dimple drop the egg from the bowl not the whole thing in

Agreed,  but I find it easier to crack the egg into a cup and add the vinegar to the egg rather than the water. No need to swirl the water that way as the egg stays together well.

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

It was very trendy to add vinegar to the water until I heard Jamie Oliver say, I could add vinegar but why? It only makes your eggs taste like vinegar. First thing you need is fresh eggs. If the eggs are too old the albumen (white) wont sit upright and stay together, rather just spread over the pan. We buy our eggs from Tesco and they are always good. Big C,  Makro not so good or your local mom pop shop dicey. I dont think eggs do well here in the heat. We sometimes get some eggs doesnt matter what you do the yolk already broken and the white and yolk spread everywhere. Normally if one like this all are. I reckon they are eggs that have been in the heat too long.

Two ways you can check...submerge the egg (in the shell) in a bowl of water. If it sits on the bottom perfect. If one side lifts up a bit older but ok. If it floats its crook (gas inside). You can also check visually if you have an older crate of eggs cooking a fried or poached egg. If the white stays together with the yolk sitting above the white about 1/4 to 3/8 ", eggs are great. If the white runs everywhere the egg is ok but not fresh.

Other than that put enough water in the pan to submerge the egg / yolk. Bring it to a gentle simmer where there are tiny bubbles starting to gather at the bottom of the pan and back off your heat. The water shouldnt be boiling or bubbling. Gently break your egg in and if your water is hot enough the egg should stay together and cook perfectly. Just test the yolks to your liking. Really no need for vinegar or swirling.

The egg does not end up tasting of vinegar at all.

By using the vinegar there is no need for all of the kerfuffle in your post.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

The egg does not end up tasting of vinegar at all.

By using the vinegar there is no need for all of the kerfuffle in your post.

One reason i stopped doing poached eggs is because you'd get inconsistent results due to probably eggs in the same box having different freshness.

Now i either fry or boil eggs

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

One reason i stopped doing poached eggs is because you'd get inconsistent results due to probably eggs in the same box having different freshness.

Now i either fry or boil eggs

I used to think the same. That was until I saw the method I use being demonstrated by John Torode.

Great results every time.

32 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I used to think the same. That was until I saw the method I use being demonstrated by John Torode.

Great results every time.

unfortunately vinegar wasn't a cure all, still inconsistent results, like i say the only reason can be different age eggs

• Like 1

If don't have a microwave, this would be you next option, and really impossible to screw things up when steaming.

First link I saw, might find one locally:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/legend-4-pan-non-stick-i1586378270-s4303438775.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:16450510680!!!!!c!!4303438775!145244106&gclid=CjwKCAjwq5-WBhB7EiwAl-HEkieqh6u1rfK5wJL85ojCPjZhPBGCZqTkRI6nXSBwgsoF2BtKl4SZMhoC8ecQAvD_BwE

Edited by KhunLA

I have a small aluminium cup which holds two eggs. I coat the inside with sesame oil to prevent sticking.

I put the cup in a pan that has about an inch of water in it, put the lid on the pan. I use my phone as a timer.

Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer.

I like well-cooked eggs, 13 minutes. 9 minutes for my GF, who likes them runny.

poached final.png

poached pan.png

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well finally bought some eggs yesterday so decided to test Khun LA's microwave idea.

After 50 seconds still a bit runny, probably due to the microwave power/settings so did another 10 and it was OK. 

Wish I had asked before I wasted money on the contraption from lazada !

• Like 1

I got the Joseph Joseph one I normally do 1 min 20 secs. I normally do two at a time and its ok, but I find you need to do them on the well done side as they don't always cook evenly. For eg maybe the yolk done but the white maybe on one side not done. Always position the thing right in the middle of the microwave plate. But yeah does the job. Sometimes use it for a couple of eggs just for me, but generally I have gone back to do them in water as normally cook for kids too and do at least 4 eggs at a time and a lot easier to get them done evenly and how I like em (yolks 50/50). The little microwave egg poacher does save a lot of time cleaning though.

Just to mention cheap Joseph Joseph stuff from China more than likely counterfeit. Recently got a garlic crusher and looked ok from a distance but up close very cheaply made and more importantly just didn't work. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, KhunLA said:

I've got a couple of these silicone egg poachers, and I can't get consistent results with them, and as the lady in the video says, it can take six minutes and probably best with the lid on, but.............now having seen the 50 second microwave video, the silicone jobbies will be confined to the back of the cupboard.

I was also told to smear the inside of the silicone cups with a little butter or oil – – none of that necessary now, so thank you for the tip, @KhunLA.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Lacessit said:

I have a small aluminium cup which holds two eggs. I coat the inside with sesame oil to prevent sticking.

I put the cup in a pan that has about an inch of water in it, put the lid on the pan. I use my phone as a timer.

Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer.

I like well-cooked eggs, 13 minutes. 9 minutes for my GF, who likes them runny.

poached final.png

poached pan.png

Where did you get that aluminium cup? i can only find aluminium foil cups which also work well

On 7/7/2022 at 6:06 PM, Bobtheblob said:

Simmering water a touch of vinegar swirl crack the egg into a small bowl then drop it into the the middle simple dimple drop the egg from the bowl not the whole thing in

One thing I can't stand is vinegar. I ask in restaurants, please poach my egg without vinegar. Yes sir.

Egg comes and tastes of nothing but vinegar. I ask  did you put vinegar in? Yes sir but only only nid noi. Well nid noi it away and I'm not paying.

• Haha 1