Bristol: 'Extraordinary' Thailand cave rescue divers receive honorary degrees

webfact

50 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

I remember following this rescue effort when it happened and thinking it likely they would not be able to pull it off. But they did it. Very inspiring and heroic story. A great role-model representation not only as how to act in a crisis but as members of the expat community acting with valor in their host country. These aren't the only expats who stepped up when needed also. Not to detract from John and Ricks actions but there were a group of expats who really acted during the pandemic to help those hard hit by the economic impacts, especially Olivier Gachoud of Switzerland and Jean-Pierre Barbier of France. They organized 19 straight months of food aid distribution to the homeless and impoverished (including expats) affected by the economic downturn, providing over 56,000 meals at a cost of over 1 million THB, the majority of it funded personally and solely by Mr. Gachoud. I highly encourage Aseannow to post a story about these folks. Read about their efforts here: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/14/an-interview-with-olivier-gachoud-after-roughly-19-months-of-helping-the-needy-during-covid-19-crisis-in-pattaya/ Salutes.

I read a very short article about these guys a while ago and thought just how kind and generous they were.

But will they get any recognition from the thai authorities for their efforts? Probably not. Still have to pay double prices and forced to do 90 dsy reports. Sad that the thai government can't say thank you to a foreigner.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

This is not an article written to describe the details of the cave rescue as such, though. It's an article about how two of the British divers involved, have received honorary degrees from a UK university.

Many other people, of multiple nationalities, were involved in the rescue and of course they all deserve credit but once again, that's not the main point of this story - it's about the fact these two specific people were given honorary degrees.

Well they could have put their Names in !!! And nit just cslled them "Anethercists" ... particularly as they were probably Arguably the main part of the Recovery part of the Rescue.  ..And probably it's main reason for success. .... Still they were Both Australians if the year a couple of years ago now any way.

5 hours ago, Mark mark said:

What a Terrific Job done by All actually I think ! … And even the Thai boots on the Ground operations people also !!! …. And well a Tribute to Humanity ! I think.  ... Like what WE can do !!! When we want to !!! ( and are given the opportunity to. )

Like These fellows were there first I think, …. And they Found them !!! and Bravo, for that !!!  .... But also the two Australian, Anesthetists Cave divers, that arrived later I think ? …. that actually got the Boys out, and with the dangers and difficult as described here. Dr’s. I think ( Vetenarians ? One of them at least was one ??? but both professors now I think ?) Richard Harris and Craig Challen, Should have been mentioned in this article also.

Like they were the ones who actual Medicated the Boys, before their extraction, and were with them while they were Knocked out and being dragged out, ... Under Water. ..like also such a Great Responsibility.

I think that there has been quite a good book written about them, and well they admit that they initially thought that there was only 50/50 chance of the operation actually working ? (And they were very VERY Experienced Cave Divers AND Anesthetists !!!)  ... Like they had Indemnity from the Thai government also I think, but  also KNEW !!! That they very well might need it.!!!  ( And suffer other allegations, if the operation was NOT successful. ) …. Like they were very good Cave Divers also as well as very well trained Anesthetists. … But, ALSO very Brave men !!! … ... And also tributes to Humanity.

"Wow... two years since cave divers Richard Harris and Craig Challen helped rescue 12 boys and their coach from a flooded cave in Thailand. The two men went on to be jointly named 2019 Australians of the Year."

(I think that it is OK to put this link here. - If not Just delete it. - It is just a tailor on Face book for the ABC Australian Story show I think ? ... Thanks.)

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=286926669226377&_rdr

I would have given your post a "like", but like you've given yourself enough already!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nsp64 said:

I read a very short article about these guys a while ago and thought just how kind and generous they were.

But will they get any recognition from the thai authorities for their efforts? Probably not. Still have to pay double prices and forced to do 90 dsy reports. Sad that the thai government can't say thank you to a foreigner.

Just miffed that they had to ask for outside help!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sambum said:

I would have given your post a "like", but like you've given yourself enough already!

Yes you are right !!! To much "experianced Cave Divers" and Highly traoned and Experianced Anesithist" ...Right. ... and ok. ... Yes. ...But .... OK ! ... "Richard Harris and Craig Challen"  ... 

Edited by Mark mark
Removi g repartition ...(to some degree any way) ...
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, sambum said:

Just miffed that they had to ask for outside help!

Like ... Richard Harris and Craig Challen ?

... Who were the ones who actualy rescued them. In the end.

Edited by Mark mark
Capital addrd