Bristol: 'Extraordinary' Thailand cave rescue divers receive honorary degrees

webfact

2 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

I remember following this rescue effort when it happened and thinking it likely they would not be able to pull it off. But they did it. Very inspiring and heroic story. A great role-model representation not only as how to act in a crisis but as members of the expat community acting with valor in their host country. These aren't the only expats who stepped up when needed also. Not to detract from John and Ricks actions but there were a group of expats who really acted during the pandemic to help those hard hit by the economic impacts, especially Olivier Gachoud of Switzerland and Jean-Pierre Barbier of France. They organized 19 straight months of food aid distribution to the homeless and impoverished (including expats) affected by the economic downturn, providing over 56,000 meals at a cost of over 1 million THB, the majority of it funded personally and solely by Mr. Gachoud. I highly encourage Aseannow to post a story about these folks. Read about their efforts here: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/14/an-interview-with-olivier-gachoud-after-roughly-19-months-of-helping-the-needy-during-covid-19-crisis-in-pattaya/ Salutes.

"I highly encourage Aseannow to post a story about these folks."

I wholly agree. A lot of expats have helped out during  Covid, and their efforts (as far as I know) have not been recognised by the authorities/Government.

Also, and I know it is trivial by comparison, but a lot of the voluntary work carried out in this country by expats/farangs like cleaning beaches etc is laughed at by the Thais who consider it below them to do such menial tasks. - "Aliens cleaning beaches - whatever next?"

The Government should be actively encouraging people to take pride in their country ("Amazing Thailand?") but seem to be more interested in looking after their own interests. I am not saying that this situation is unique to Thailand, but surely in order to encourage tourists to visit here (which I believe is a Government priority?) one of the first things to do is to make it a more attractive place to visit, and not depend on ex pat/farang volunteers to be doing the job - clean beaches being a prime example. I have heard (no links, sorry) that in some cases voluntary workers have been told that they should have a work permit to carry out the work that they are doing - ridiculous!

Thailand has opened the gates to tourism by dropping most Covid restrictions - how about making the place "cleaner" instead of recommending double pricing and more for tourist "attractions"?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Like ... Richard Harris and Craig Challen ?

... Who were the ones who actualy rescued them. In the end.

And other nationalities that were involved in the operation! Team effort, old boy!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Yes you are right !!! To much "experianced Cave Divers" and Highly traoned and Experianced Anesithist" ...Right. ... and ok. ... Yes. ...But .... OK ! ... "Richard Harris and Craig Challen"  ... 

Spell check not working (again!), or you been on Anutin's "snake oil" (again!)?

43 minutes ago, sambum said:

I wholly agree. A lot of expats have helped out during  Covid, and their efforts (as far as I know) have not been recognised by the authorities/Government.

Also, and I know it is trivial by comparison, but a lot of the voluntary work carried out in this country by expats/farangs like cleaning beaches etc is laughed at by the Thais who consider it below them to do such menial tasks. - "Aliens cleaning beaches - whatever next?"

The Government should be actively encouraging people to take pride in their country ("Amazing Thailand?") but seem to be more interested in looking after their own interests. I am not saying that this situation is unique to Thailand, but surely in order to encourage tourists to visit here (which I believe is a Government priority?) one of the first things to do is to make it a more attractive place to visit, and not depend on ex pat/farang volunteers to be doing the job - clean beaches being a prime example. I have heard (no links, sorry) that in some cases voluntary workers have been told that they should have a work permit to carry out the work that they are doing - ridiculous!

Thailand has opened the gates to tourism by dropping most Covid restrictions - how about making the place "cleaner" instead of recommending double pricing and more for tourist "attractions"?  

Wrong thread chap.....????

1 hour ago, sambum said:

And other nationalities that were involved in the operation! Team effort, old boy!

Yes, ... I think that the International Rescue, and possibly the men just given the Horary Degrees, had actually invited Richard and Craig, to go to Chang Rai ASAP. ? … And then they had both considered it, at very short notice,  … And Did go. ... Asap. ….

… I guess that they all had decided that to Anesthetize the Boys, and then emergency stretcher them all out, on by one, off and on, over some days, out, … and for hours at a time, Under water, in a very Treacherous, flooded Stream passage, Cave system was the only way. ...

… So well the Two ! Specialties ? Required ... Years of Experience, and excellence, in expedition status Cave Diving, … (Personal Motivation being at the Fore just to be in this group I think, and I am an experianced Expedition wet and Dry caver, who has worked with them myself) … AND also full on Aesthesis knowledge, some different sort of work ? … and the full Practical experience of Using it !!! would be needed.  ...

… So well  Richard Harris , and Craig Challen, were the Obvious choices ! By the looks of it. …. And were asked to go there, and consider trying the idea. ... And they did.

… Like I think Richard has also practiced Cave Diving rescues with the Australian Police authorities already ? … But I only read the first 2 Chapters of their book. … But Cave diving Deaths went from something like 7 in the first year that the sport became popular there, … down to about zero in the last 20 Years I think, … After the Police, and The People like Craig and Richard, started to take notice of that great danger.

… Anyway, when Richard and Craig arrived, they did say yes they would try it ... but they also admit in their book, that they privately thought that they would only have 50% change of a positive out come !!! …. and THEY were the Only men Really with that sort of Experience to say that really I think. But what else to do ??? Nothing.

… So, they first Trained the boys on breathing through Skubar, and under Water … Told them what was going to happen, …. And then Injected the boys, … and then they swam with them, pushing them along in their streatchers, … and topped them up with the Anesthetic at times, as they went, at regular times,  and in the regular Air Pockets ???

… I think it was Richard, but as I say it is a while since I read his account, …. but one of them had thought that they had lost the line, ... (Like no visibility !) and in one of the hardest sections, with one of the last boys, … Like probably quite near where the Thai Navy Seal Died, ... So he turned back, and re did the Anesthetic in the last air space !!! …. But then he discovered that he still had the Line, and it had just slipped down to his elbow !!!! ... He had lost Time !!! 

… But they got that boy out also … and again, only a bit slower this time !!! … Like if they had lost that Boy, then it would, have been a total Disaster !!! …. and the whole operation jeopardized !!! .... But they didn't ... Experience ? …. or just plain good Luck. ???

And yes ALL the people were Important, !!! … And nationality has nothing to do with it .... Like Richard and Craig would be the first ones to tell you all that !!! (If you could find them now ???) ... But they were the Anesthetists … and Great and experienced Cave Divers, ... who DID get those boys out. !!! …. (So maybe the Bristol University could give then an Horary Doctorate as well ???)...  If they could find them now I guess ???

Like these two guys took their new fond fame VERY WELL !!! and WERE both just very VERY Humble … and well the Wild Boar soccer team who were rescued did pretty well in that way also I think !!! ... Like in their tenacity !!! also a tribute to Human nature, … and to technical expertise all round I think.  …. And no Nationality needing to be mentioned.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Against-All-Odds-Richard-Harris/9781760899455?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base1&utm_source=TH&utm_content=Against-All-Odds&selectCurrency=THB&w=AF5NAU96KUCF4NA8VT1V&gclid=CjwKCAjwq5-WBhB7EiwAl-HEkrx4PcbDPlBxlESxOfthZlNlnwMQ_aOogOPIMxDFyiNA5E8amt6pwxoCRUoQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Actually I think that the Thai's pumping a lot of the water out of the cave ! ... Working against the mo soon ? Rain, ... also probably did help a lot also ! ... As it would have given the Divers a lot more air spaces to work in, on their marathon journey out with the Anethesized Boys !!!

God bless them ALL !!! ... And just so close behind us from this pretty terrible tome I thinking. ? ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark mark said:

"Wow... two years since cave divers Richard Harris and Craig Challen helped rescue 12 boys and their coach from a flooded cave in Thailand.

4 years............. I wonder what took Bristol so long.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

In accordance with the Thai media, only locals were involved in the rescue. 

Well done Bristol University for honouring these two brave Gentlemen, and for the recognition of the 4, 998 others involved in this incredible rescue.

Outrageous if true about Thai media, ALL of them would have died without foreign divers and the Ozzie Dr. Thai divers were just a support act, the rest just got in the way

13 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

That's heroic. Did they receive any awards from the Thai government ?

Yes indeed. for reference (with the greatest respect for HRH):

His Majesty King Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun has conferred a noble order on 187 people who participated in the rescue of 13 young soccer players ................ The 187 rescue personnel, both Thais and foreigners, received the Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn. The late King Bhumibol Adjulyadej established the title in 1991 to be bestowed upon those who have rendered devotional services to the Kingdom of Thailand. The title Direkgunabhorn roughly translates as “Noble order of abundance and quality.”

The announcement in the Royal Gazette read that the government recognizes that those people who helped others in peril performed good deeds and deserved to be honored.

https://thaiembdc.org/2019/03/25/hm-the-king-awards-tham-luang-cave-rescuers/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sambum said:

At thats exactly why rich, high end tourists won't come here.

Thai people have lower standards of what they require when they travel so dont notice a bit of filth here and there. Or a few mangy dogs, broken paths, hanging cables, street hookers, blah blah blah.....you get the idea.

• Like 1

First, this whole operation is hugely overrated. Second, the English guys are the real professionals and deserve the praise they got. Third, many other Thai nationals who took part in the operation deserve not less praise for their actions. And finally, that Ilon Musk's remark was quite true. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

First, this whole operation is hugely overrated. Second, the English guys are the real professionals and deserve the praise they got. Third, many other Thai nationals who took part in the operation deserve not less praise for their actions. And finally, that Ilon Musk's remark was quite true. 

"Pedo guy"?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, sambum said:

Well, they did a sterling job, along with others, and thanks to your above very descriptive and informative post, readers on this site will forever link the names "Richard and Craig" to "Cave Rescue"!  Job done!

Yes and they could also read their Book, about ... as a Passover record from the guys who finally !!! ... After just gynormys leadership and Help from every one involved  !!! ... But also at considerable physical and Personal risk to them selves and their reputations ... Got them out. ...

( I used to be a Wet and Dry Expedition Caver for many years my sef,  so I was interested. ...

Carried the Divers gear in to Cockalbidy cave on the Nullabore ! Some time before the big push that made it the longest under water cave in the World ??? ...  And did 27 hr pushes way out past the 1 km mark in Mulamalang to extend its known passages in to Ix land ... No that was what I called the little bit I found on a lower level ... it was "The Vast Inponderabked" discovered by another Cave and cave Diving legend ! Ian Lewis from South Australia. ...Etc. Etc. ..... Etc. (Sorry to go on.) ...

My body can not do it now !!! ... And I also would  now probably be scared as well. ??? Well for the first 5 minets any way !??? Before the usual ..."Caving" ... Adrenaline kicked in ? ! ... 

Edited by Mark mark
Spelling touch screen typing.

11 hours ago, sambum said:

Well, they did a sterling job, along with others, and thanks to your above very descriptive and informative post, readers on this site will forever link the names "Richard and Craig" to "Cave Rescue"!  Job done!

Actually I think that the Easiest way of getting them out, would have been to drill a hole in from the surface above ! ... And then use an escape capsule on a wire lift, like they did to rescue all those Gold miners from 1 km under ground in Chillie ? Wasn't it ??? ... (Like as an ex caver my self ! )... I think findong them was the easy part ? ...Getting them out was the hard part ??? ... 

But the logistics, geography ? and rock structure ??? Possibly ? ... as well as not having a suitable large reverse auger drilling rig available at short notice ??? ... Probably made this rescue drill hole not possible !!!  .

So they had to do it the hard way !!! ...Under water and a very long and very Wild flooded stream passage cave system. ... Like they had to lift them up a section on a flying Fox didn't they !!! 

So Bravo ! And good on them ALL ...and a true Tribute to what Humanity Can Do !!! (When they want to ...and no often old and entrenched Vested Interests, stand in their way) ...

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Yeah, pedo guy

…. He only married one woman, when she was about 15 ??? I think ? … Which is pretty common around there I think. … Like 14 is ? well was ? the legal age for mirage in Thailand you know, ? … and 13 was ok if the family agreed. …

… And he is still with her I believe ??? ... So well, Mirage ? and probably NOT a Pedophile at all !!! ...

… Elron Musk on the other hand, is just an Arsse !!! (With a big Mouth) …. and they fobbed off his stupid Submarine, which put his Face out of joint (Accentuate by his Autism possible ???) ... Yes, he does have a brain, ... yes, … but it is just his Money that really gives him his clout. ...

… Well Space Ex is pretty successful I think ? …. Like I bet NASA wish that they had had a Platform like that, back through all of their Years !!! ...

... Yes I met a young 15 Year old hills tribe girl in a family group once, down here as they had come down to see relations … and she actually spoke good English ... So I said "Hey I should not be talking to you really, as you are too young - Right ?" ... and she just laughed, and replied … "Don't worry about it some of them start off when they are 12 up where I come from" !!! ..

… So he probably is NOT a pedo, but Elron Musl Defiantly IS just a Big Mouthed, Horses Arsse, ... as far as I am concerned. ...

Though that all being said, I come from Australia and the rules there are that Woman are not sexually available until 18 !!! … So I am happy with that, and I will back this law standing for all us Foreigners over here also. ! ... (Though well I think that even in Australia 16 year old's can get away with it,  with younger men, ? (Well the younger men can get away with it ?) ... with Minor Charges ??? .... Like I have talked to them, the girls, now all women, ...  and well basically they say ... “How could you stop them” !!! ) ...

Like NOT with Repeat Offenders. !!! and well make the rules 18 for just sex over here also. …  Like if you are 67 you ARE 67 !!! … But mirage ??? Well, Probably not ? as far as I am concerned also, ...… but well he married her a Long LONG time ago now I think, ??? And as as my 15 year old female Guru, from up the North would have said also …. "Things would have been a lot LOT different back then" ???

Edited by Mark mark
small addition
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Rubbish.  ... Particularly the bit Re Musk Rat's mindless Bile, after they rejected his Inept, submarine idea. 

Edited by Mark mark
Improved
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Provide a link or your knowledge that Musk's remark as true...?

• Like 1