SIM card for tourists

SidJames

What's the best deal & company for someone coming here for the first time for 30days?

They have emailed me from home & asked if they should buy a SIM at the airport but they are usually properly inflated prices there so can some advise me please?

Date required as it's a young backed type off to do 'real' Thailand on the beaches over in Phuket etc

• Like 1

Went with a mate to Tukcom Pattaya.

He got an AIS SIM with 15 Mbit/s (fully sufficient for usual mobile use, messenger, social media, youtube, FB, insta etc.).

Cost 450 Baht for 30 days if I remember right all incl.

Tons of other options from DTAC with speeds from 10 to 30 Mbit/s WITHOUT volume limit.

(AIS usually has)

Prices about 150 B to 300 B for 30 days (plus cost for SIM and service/registration).

Be aware that the 30 days start with the registration (if you would do in your name ahead of arrival).

Best would be wait until they are here.

About every mobile phone booth can help.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just now, Bruno123 said:

That's 1000 baht too much

Agree. And as written about every phone booth can you offer a SIM with speeds 8 to 30 Mbit/s for 150 to about 350 plus a few Baht extra.

At DTAC it also includes 60 min free calls to all Thai mobile networks per month.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Went with a mate to Tukcom Pattaya.

He got an AIS SIM with 15 Mbit/s (fully sufficient for usual mobile use, messenger, social media, youtube, FB, insta etc.).

Cost 450 Baht for 30 days if I remember right all incl.

Tons of other options from DTAC with speeds from 10 to 30 Mbit/s WITHOUT volume limit.

(AIS usually has)

Prices about 150 B to 300 B for 30 days (plus cost for SIM and service/registration).

Be aware that the 30 days start with the registration (if you would do in your name ahead of arrival).

Best would be wait until they are here.

About every mobile phone booth can help.

Since he's a mate, will you give him back the 200 baht extra that he paid for nothing? ???? 

Directing people to random phone booths isn't that helpful. The AIS SIM and package you described above, costs 250 baht. Vendor pocketed 200 baht. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Agree. And as written about every phone booth can you offer a SIM with speeds 8 to 30 Mbit/s for 150 to about 350 plus a few Baht extra.

At DTAC it also includes 60 min free calls to all Thai mobile networks per month.

Again a bit too vague. Some DTAC packages will have 60 minutes Any Network, some unlimited Any Network.

One with 8 Mbps and no calls, another with 8 Mbps with free any network calls. ny

Will the vendor have the knowledge to apply the appropriate pack? DTAC currently have four packages that include Any Network calls. 4,8,15 & 20 Mbps. Then there are the ones that don't.

Any phone booth? How about the official ones at BKK? Will they apply an appropriate package?

Don't just send people off to "any phone booth". They are more likely to end up paying over the odds.

Best to get a 50 baht SIM, top up with mobile data off and apply the pack that you want, yourself.

AIS, DTAC and Truemove H all have exactly the same deal; 30 days of 15 Mbps with unlimited any network calls, for 200 baht. 50 baht for the SIM. Phone booth may add something extra, as they did with your 'mate'.

6 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Again a bit too vague. Some DTAC packages will have 60 minutes Any Network, some unlimited Any Network.

One with 8 Mbps and no calls, another with 8 Mbps with free any network calls. ny

Will the vendor have the knowledge to apply the appropriate pack? DTAC currently have four packages that include Any Network calls. 4,8,15 & 20 Mbps. Then there are the ones that don't.

Any phone booth? How about the official ones at BKK? Will they apply an appropriate package?

Don't just send people off to "any phone booth". They are more likely to end up paying over the odds.

Best to get a 50 baht SIM, top up with mobile data off and apply the pack that you want, yourself.

AIS, DTAC and Truemove H all have exactly the same deal; 30 days of 15 Mbps with unlimited any network calls, for 200 baht. 50 baht for the SIM. Phone booth may add something extra, as they did with your 'mate'.

Even in our district town upcountry I walked to a booth were misc DTAC packages were offered.

Got a 1 month 15 Mbit with 60 min call to all networks.

Paid 260 Baht registration included.

After the month for test I ordered a one year for 1390.

Two mates in Pattaya tukcom same easy.

It's not rocket science.

I am writing from experience while you endulge yourself in speculation.

I am off here. Don't expect any answer.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Even in our district town upcountry I walked to a booth were misc DTAC packages were offered.

Got a 1 month 15 Mbit with 60 min call to all networks.

Paid 260 Baht registration included.

After the month for test I ordered a one year for 1390.

Two mates in Pattaya tukcom same easy.

It's not rocket science.

I am writing from experience while you endulge yourself in speculation.

I am off here. Don't expect any answer.

It's not rocket science, though somehow you managed to get your mate to pay 200 baht over the odds; 450 baht for 250 baht worth of product ????

Nice to read of your experience at your random booth upcountry...did they offer the DTAC option of Unlimited 15 Mbps with unlimited free calls? 200 baht plus 50 baht for the SIM? I guess not.

You could have done better yourself, no need for a random booth.

Where the speculation? I recount my own experience, as I am currently using the products that I recommend. 

The difference is that I don't send people to places where they'll get ripped.

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

250 baht?? Really? ???? 

You don't even get free 'any network' calls with that.

That's 1000 baht too much. Tourist price ????

She is a tourist now when she visits. She needs the data plan and it fits her well. Neither she or I are a cheap Charlie.  

Please let me know where you can get 100mbps for 250 baht.  Thanks. The OP said a lot of data was needed over phone calls hence my post. 

1 minute ago, marin said:

She is a tourist now when she visits. She needs the data plan and it fits her well. Neither she or I are a cheap Charlie.  

Please let me know where you can get 100mbps for 250 baht.  Thanks. The OP said a lot of data was needed over phone calls hence my post. 

Tourist or not, it makes no difference. Does she obtain 100 Mbps? I doubt it. Get here to run a speed test using https://testmy.net when she's around.

In essence, she is paying 1250 baht for 300 GB of data. Whereas someone on an unlimited 15 Mbps connection could theoretically utilise 150 GB per day. That would be the 300 GB allowance gone in forty eight hours.

Unlimited 15 Mbps connection with unlimited free calls to any networks, costs 200 baht.

Unlimited 30 Mbps costs from 235 baht per 30 days. Is your daughter pulling down more than 30 Mbps? I doubt it.

As I wrote earlier; she paid 1000 baht too much.

No 5G on the AIS pre-paid sims - only 4G. Unlimited data 300 Baht lasts for 30 days.

But, you can convert to a AIS 5G mobile sim post paid and keep the same number later on if you decide to stay in Thailand.

AIS Unlimited Data 5G mobile Post Paid is 1099 Baht per month and comes with a 2nd free 5G mobile sim with 150GB of data that just goes to 4G if you exceed the 150GB. I use the 2nd sim in my Ipad Pro.

3 minutes ago, iaminwa said:

No 5G on the AIS pre-paid sims - only 4G. Unlimited data 300 Baht lasts for 30 days.

But, you can convert to a AIS 5G mobile sim post paid and keep the same number later on if you decide to stay in Thailand.

AIS Unlimited Data 5G mobile Post Paid is 1099 Baht per month and comes with a 2nd free 5G mobile sim with 150GB of data that just goes to 4G if you exceed the 150GB. I use the 2nd sim in my Ipad Pro.

Then they are advertising falsely: https://www.ais.th/5g/join-us/prepaid/en/index.html

Of course they are not.

My guess is that you applied a 4G pack, expecting it to show 5G. You needed to buy a 5G pack in the first instance.

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Then they are advertising falsely: https://www.ais.th/5g/join-us/prepaid/en/index.html

Of course they are not.

My guess is that you applied a 4G pack, expecting it to show 5G. You needed to buy a 5G pack in the first instance.

Nope - I asked for a 5G sim pre-paid in the AIS shop in Em Quartier "cannot sir" was the answer. Put the sim in my 5G IPhone and it only came up 4G. After I signed a lease for a condo, went back a month later and converted to the 5G Unlimited service 1099 Baht a month, they did a few things on the computer, did not even change my sim, and it changed to 5G.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Unlimited 30 Mbps costs from 235 baht per 30 days. Is your daughter pulling down more than 30 Mbps? I doubt it.

This is the issue. Yes she is. She works in management for Apple and must be in daily contact all the while downloading and exchanging information. She gets 3 weeks holiday but only because she works while here. In fact she often goes through that and has to buy more data.  

For myself the package you propose would be fine, but there are travelers who use one heck of a lot of data, and dont want to be running around looking for somewhere with wifi. 

Just now, iaminwa said:

Nope - I asked for a 5G sim pre-paid in the AIS shop in Em Quartier "cannot sir" was the answer. Put the sim in my 5G IPhone and it only came up 4G. After I signed a lease for a condo, went back a month later and converted to the 5G Unlimited service 1099 Baht a month, they did a few things on the computer, did not even change my sim, and it changed to 5G.

Again....I am not going to argue about it. 5G is available on Prepaid, but you MUST register a 5G package firstly. It will not show 5G until you do that.

It also won't work if you register a 4G pack ???? 

I know people aren't doing this. Mainly because the best pack available is currently 15 GB for something like 427 baht inclusive. Most people want more than that and so instead look at the 4G packs....with the resulting 4G icon.

8 minutes ago, marin said:

This is the issue. Yes she is. She works in management for Apple and must be in daily contact all the while downloading and exchanging information. She gets 3 weeks holiday but only because she works while here. In fact she often goes through that and has to buy more data.  

For myself the package you propose would be fine, but there are travelers who use one heck of a lot of data, and dont want to be running around looking for somewhere with wifi. 

She can download and exchange information at 30 Mbps. I don't believe that she is pulling down 100 Mbps. I await the speed test results for when she is back. No one gets 100 Mbps. ven under ideal conditions with carrier aggregation in place.

So now you confirm that she has to buy even more data.

Better to have unlimited in the first place...for much less.

15 minutes ago, marin said:

I think you seem confused with regards to bandwidth and data volume. 

The bandwidth offered is up to 100 Mbps, that doesn't mean that she is actually obtaining 100 Mbps. In fact it's not possible to reach that 100 Mbps figure under normal circumstances.

What if she only gets 30 Mbps at her particular location?

So now let's look at data volume. She paid for 300 GB of data; a limited amount and has to buy more.

So if, for example, only 30 Mbps was available to her at her location, an unlimited 30 Mbps would suit her better.

Run a speed test to find out.

25 minutes ago, marin said:

Apply intelligence, rather than emotion. Facts, rather than hearsay. If you are happy with your daughter paying 1250 baht+ for a package that doesn't even suit her needs, then DTAC loves you both. 

1250 baht for one month and still having to shell out for more data.

Meanwhile the smart money goes to; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/30mbps-dtac-muntookdee-i2915457737-s10682542309.html

Unlimited 30 Mbps for 365 days; 1690 baht for 365 compared to 1250 baht+ for 30 days.

Nothing more to be said.

Just get it at the airport.

It's really no difference in price.

They'll exchange the sims and show you some 30 day promo's.

Done and ready to enjoy your vacation and use apps for taxis and discounts like LINE. 

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Just get it at the airport.

It's really no difference in price.

They'll exchange the sims and show you some 30 day promo's.

Done and ready to enjoy your vacation and use apps for taxis and discounts like LINE. 

Exchange the SIMs for what??

Do they have normal non-tourist SIM at the airport? Do you have a suggestion of the best deal and company for the OP's acquaintance?

Seems a rather flippant post, with no helpful info at all.

It's not the OP's vacation, so they need actual info to pass on. Which 30 day promo did you like, that you were shown at the airport?

OP specifically did not want to pay inflated airport prices. 1250 baht for 300 GB of data fits that description.

AIS offers unlimited 30 Mbps for 235 baht per month. Far more sensible for a young person travelling. No one needs 100 Mbps on their hols.