LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

On 2/5/2024 at 7:41 PM, SHA 2 BKK said:

Yes for arrivals  just go to the “Fast Track” section which is after the main immigration area.  Next to where the Chinese used to get their Visa On Arrival.  

There is a sign from memory that is in blue and white that says Fast Track.  Show your LTR Visa to the guard in front and you are in.   No need for any voucher.   

There is the odd guard who still doesn’t know what and LTR Visa is but you can point to it on the blue and white letter board.   Thailand Elite also use this point. 

The Fast Track area you're looking for is at "Immigration 2", but it's not clearly labeled as such - as mentioned, just follow the "Visa on Arrival" signs, and you'll find Fast Track just to the right. The sign below is next to the entrance, but you can't see it until you're right there. I've never had any issues getting in, because the entrance is screened by an immigration officer, not a guard.

For departures, though, LTR is not listed on the sign (only the cryptic "BOI" and "Long Stay"), and the entrances (on the far left and get right of the check-in hall) are guarded by young contractors who know nothing about the rules. They've never tried to deny me entry, but I have had to press the issue once or twice.

IMG20240127214914.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2024 at 5:25 PM, K2938 said:

True, but even there the BOI appears to be kind of immune to economic logic.  If you show them a brokerage account worth a zillion dollars, they will say this does not meet the self-health insurance criteria since it needs to be in cash even if you could easily sell the shares at any time or take out a margin loan against them hugely exceeding $100k USD.

One further point about this ... If one truly had an account with zillions of US$ then it would be a simple matter to set aside $100K US$ in a cash account, and that $100K US$ would be insignificant in regards to one still having zillions of US$ equivalent in one's trading account. In such a hypothetical case, $100K US$  would be nothing when creating a second CASH account compared to one's Zillions.

Rather the issue (I assume) would be where one only possess a small amount of money over the $100K US$ needed for self health insurance, where that $100K US$ equivalent is in one's trading account, and in that case having to put the trading account money in cash at LEAST 1-year prior to the LTR application, could be difficult.  In that case, the BoI view likely is one is simply not 'wealthy enough' to be the 'wealthy pensioner'.   

Putting aside $100K US$ to a cash account is no issue for one with zillions (nor IMHO an issue for one with "only" one million or two million US$ equivalent in funds).

Having said all that, the LTR approach allowing self health insurance is STILL significantly superior to the more limited options for a person on a Type-OA Visa (requiring Health insurance), where one on a Type-OA visa could have zillions in CASH and it would not matter, as self health insurance is simply not nominally accepted for a person on a Type-OA visa.  In the Type-OA visa case, one would be forced to use part of their Zillions to buy health insurance from a Thai company.  Lots of workable approaches with 'zillions' of dollars. 🙂

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, oldcpu said:

If one truly had an account with zillions of US$ then it would be a simple matter to set aside $100K US$ in a cash account

If one is that wealthy I think it's better to buy a cheap Thai insurance for 1 year before LTR application (and 5 years term check) rather than park US$ 100K in a savings account at no or very low interest rate.

For instance, Pacific Cross asks for less than THB 30K/year for a 60 yo male with no outpatient cover and a yearly deductible of THB 300K (Maxima Plan THB 5M annual limit).

https://onlineapplication.pacificcrosshealth.com/

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Yumthai said:

If one is that wealthy I think it's better to buy a cheap Thai insurance for 1 year before LTR application (and 5 years term check) rather than park US$ 100K in a savings account at no or very low interest rate.

Indeed - but if one is that wealthy, one does not worry about the relatively small interest from $100K US$, nor worry about the amount of money for double health insurance (especially if one already has superior foreign insurance outside of Thailand that one does not want to be forced to waste one's time to buy Health Insurance from a Thai company).   In the case of zillions, such amounts ($100K US$ or expense for Health Insurance) are very trivial and not worth one's time to try to optimize to the last few hundred dollars or so.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/13/2024 at 10:15 AM, K2938 said:

I would recommend you to talk to them again about this.  They should accept an annuity.  Regarding their answer whoever wrote this just did not get that since this is already your money, you of course will not pay tax on the capital part being returned to you.  Point this out to the BOI - politely - and see what they say.  Best to visit in person if that is possible for you.

If you need an additional argument, tell them that they also accept Roth IRAs in the U.S. as far as I know and they are also tax-free.

I took your advice and emailed them again and received positive news.  I specifically asked if they would accept a statement from the purchased annuity provider as the income would not be included on a tax return and received this encouraging response:

"Dear ******

We generally consider tax returns as the primary evidence of income. However, if your country does not require you to pay taxes, you must include a statement explaining this in your application. 

Additionally, you can submit other financial documents such as broker statement such as the example you mentioned and bank statements as proof of your income."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, MistyBlue said:

I took your advice and emailed them again and received positive news.  I specifically asked if they would accept a statement from the purchased annuity provider as the income would not be included on a tax return and received this encouraging response:

"Dear ******

We generally consider tax returns as the primary evidence of income. However, if your country does not require you to pay taxes, you must include a statement explaining this in your application. 

Additionally, you can submit other financial documents such as broker statement such as the example you mentioned and bank statements as proof of your income."

This is a good example of where a tax return may not show your entire income and another document such as benefit letter/statement from the annuity or pension paying entity is required. 

Another example which applies to some U.S. applicants is if they draw a Veteran's Administration (VA) pension (that the VA calls an annuity) which is 100% "non-taxable/non-reportable" by U.S. law.  And no annual tax form like a Form 1099 is issued for income tax purposes since it's not taxable/not reportable.  However, the VA does provide a Benefit Letter to confirm you receive a monthly pension/annuity of X-amount.  

So, there are cases where a person's tax return maybe reflect (just for example) a total annual income of less than $80K (let's say $73K just for example) which is totally or partially taxable....since they were totally or partially taxable that's why they show on your income tax form.  But that person is also drawing some pension/annuity that is totally not taxable/non reportable on a tax return per that country's tax laws/regulations.  Let's say he's drawing a VA pension/annuity for $10K/year which is not reflected on the tax return.  So, actually his total annual income is $83K which exceeds the LTR income requirement of $80K.

If a person's tax return does not show all income then they need to provide other evidence to show that income.  And I highly recommend a short memo where you explain certain income is not reflected on your tax return because of XYZ....like because by tax law in your country it's non-taxable/non reportable by tax law.   

Does anyone know what the digital work permit salary requirements are for LTR-HSP visa holders?

For example, work permit holders with NonB visas have stated minimum salary requirements that vary by nationality.

I’m considering hiring an employee who qualifies for the LTR HSP visa. I’ve asked the LTR unit about what the digital work permit salary requirements are for HSP visa holders and been told verbally by a junior staff that “there are none.”  I’ve tried to verify this in writing (emailed the LTR unit, looked for legal documentation), but have not received a response nor found anything online supporting it. 

All I can find is that there are no 4 Thai employee requirements - nothing about salary requirements either way.

If there truly are no salary requirements, it would be good to know and would provide more flexibility. But if there are salary requirements, it would be better to find out now rather than later.

As always, I appreciate any insight that this forum can provide.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

@Misty PM sent, but it does not indicate a salary needed.

Thanks @ThailandRyan, qualification information is clear.  Still looking for details on what salary is required for the digital work permit, does anyone know?

7 hours ago, Misty said:

Does anyone know what the digital work permit salary requirements are for LTR-HSP visa holders?

For example, work permit holders with NonB visas have stated minimum salary requirements that vary by nationality.

I’m considering hiring an employee who qualifies for the LTR HSP visa. I’ve asked the LTR unit about what the digital work permit salary requirements are for HSP visa holders and been told verbally by a junior staff that “there are none.”  I’ve tried to verify this in writing (emailed the LTR unit, looked for legal documentation), but have not received a response nor found anything online supporting it. 

All I can find is that there are no 4 Thai employee requirements - nothing about salary requirements either way.

If there truly are no salary requirements, it would be good to know and would provide more flexibility. But if there are salary requirements, it would be better to find out now rather than later.

As always, I appreciate any insight that this forum can provide.

Form 46 was required for my WP LTR Pension so company income and salary immigration reviews teh work permit application - it was easy to do They didn't tell me the required salary but probably the normal requirements...

5 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Form 46 was required for my WP LTR Pension so company income and salary immigration reviews teh work permit application - it was easy to do They didn't tell me the required salary but probably the normal requirements...

You could be correct that the requirements are the same as for a work permit not attached to an HSP LTR visa, although the LTR unit said verbally there are no requirements. 

I calculate a breakeven point between a normal tax schedule (PND91 - progressive rates) and the HSP tax schedule (PND95- flat 17%) at about Bt181,000 per month.  If you earn below that, you'd pay less Thai tax using PND91 calculations.  If you earn above that, you pay less Thai tax at the flat 17% rate.  Not that that is taken into consideration for the HSP digital work permit, however.

22 minutes ago, Misty said:

You could be correct that the requirements are the same as for a work permit not attached to an HSP LTR visa, although the LTR unit said verbally there are no requirements. 

I calculate a breakeven point between a normal tax schedule (PND91 - progressive rates) and the HSP tax schedule (PND95- flat 17%) at about Bt181,000 per month.  If you earn below that, you'd pay less Thai tax using PND91 calculations.  If you earn above that, you pay less Thai tax at the flat 17% rate.  Not that that is taken into consideration for the HSP digital work permit, however.

LTR staff are probably correct...

Good idea to calculate the tax both ways!

• Agree 1

I just noticed that at the BOI LTR Visa website: https://ltr.boi.go.th/  they have added another submenu titled "How to Manage Your LTR Visa" under the main menu of "Manage LTR Visa"

But all this new submenu talks is how to do the 1 year reporting and how to get a drivers license; not nearly as extensive as the info at the SMART Visa BOI website: https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/how-to-manage.html

Anyway, below is a quote of the new LTR Visa submenu at https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/how-to-manage.html

How to Manage your LTR visa and Beyond

1-YEAR REPORTING TO THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU
AT THE ONE STOP SERVICE CENTER FOR VISA AND WORK PERMIT

LTR Visa holders staying in Thailand for a period longer than 1 year consecutively are required to report the current address to the Immigration at One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS) either in person, or by authorizing someone to report for you on your behalf. This report must be done on a yearly basis counting from LTR Visa issuance date (15 days before or 7 days after the date specified on 1-year report notification card). However, in the case of re-entering the Kingdom, the report will be due in 1 year from the date of the latest arrival.

The documents required to be submitted to the immigration are as follows.

• TM.95 Form (completely filled out and signed)
  • Passport *
  • T.M. 6 Card (arrival/departure card) (if any) *
  • 1-Year report notification card (if any) *
  • TM.61 Form (For authorized person reporting on behalf of LTR visa holder who lives in Bangkok)

* If LTR Visa is issued at Royal Thai Embassy/ Consulate-General, LTR Visa holders will not receive a 1-year report notification card. In such case, the report will be due in 1 year from the latest arrival date specified on the arrival stamp.

PROCEDURES FOR LTR VISA HOLDERS WHO WISH TO OBTAIN A PERSONAL DRIVING LICENSE

The Department of Land Transport has established regulations for aliens applying for a driving license to submit work permit or proof of residence in the Kingdom issued by government agencies or foreign government agencies.

Therefore, LTR Visa holders wishing to obtain a personal driving license must provide proof of the current residence which can be obtained from

or

1. The Embassy or Consulate of their own nationality. For more information please contact the Embassy or Consulate of your nationality directly
  2. The Immigration Bureau at One stop service center for visa and work permit (OSS), Chamchuri Square Building by applying for Residence Certificate and submit following documents in person;
  • COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE IN THAILAND
  • The evidence of your residence. It could be either the receipt of TM.30 (notification to immigration that house-master, owner or the possessor notify you has stayed. the notification receipt through website or telephone are acceptable) or House lease agreement.
  • Passport
  • Copy of your passport (first page and visa page)
  • Copy of TM.6 card (If any)*

Please note that the processing time will takes 15 days after submitting request form.

• Thanks 2

Here's one to puzzle over. The following is what I sent today to the LTR folks:

Hi, I have a LTR WP visa, and in about five months, I'll have to do my annual one year address report. And as I don't plan to travel, this date is firm. However, there seems to be confusion on how I'm to make this address report. Your website still has as a requirement coming in person to Bangkok, or sending an agent. But, that SMART desk next to you, advertises one year reporting by mail, with a very definitive address to send to; what the return envelope should look like; postage amount; etc. Why haven't the LTR folks emulated this very efficient procedure? Nor is it clear whether or not I could do this in person at my local Chiang Mai Immigration (not that any one there would understand the process.....). But, my local post office is a lot closer than CM Immigration. Anyhow, a little more definitive guidance would be welcomed. Thank you.

Their answer:

Please note that currently, the online reporting system only supports the 90-day report. The one-year report for Smart visa is different and cannot be completed online.

If you intend to submit the one-year report physically by mail, please be aware that it carries significant risks. The process may take an extended period, possibly several months, as regular mail is used, not EMS. Furthermore, there is no tracking available for regular mail, increasing the possibility of documents getting lost in transit.

We strongly advise against this option unless it's the only available method for you. For information on completing the one-year report via registered mail, please refer to the document attached to this email: https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/pages/how-to-manage.html

Please change the form TM.91 to TM.95 as attached here: https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/TM_95.pdf

While some local Immigration offices may offer the one-year report service, it's essential to confirm this directly with them. Each Immigration Bureau operates differently, and not all may provide this service.

If your local Immigration office does not offer the one-year report service, you or your representative will need to visit the Immigration office at Chamchuri Square in Bangkok to complete the report.

Kind regards,
LTR Visa Unit

I dunno. I did my 90 day reports for years via EMS mail, which to me is the same as registered mail, without problem. I even had the return self addressed envelope as EMS. Their answer that the mail route could "take several months," because it's regular mail, not EMS is nonsensical. Believe they're trying to maintain agent business for the certified agents they've signed up. Just my guess, but otherwise it makes no sense, as SMART visa holders have had no problem with mail annual address notifications, as far as I know.

Nevertheless, I sure don't have a warm fuzzy about doing my annual report by mail, at least until I hear some reports of success, which I havent' as of yet, at least on this thread.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, JimGant said:

If your local Immigration office does not offer the one-year report service, you or your representative will need to visit the Immigration office at Chamchuri Square in Bangkok to complete the report.

Yeah, but then they go on to say that if you do use the mail, just use the SMART guidance, but change the TM91 to TM95 (they're identical, except one says "SMART," the other "Ltr Visa.")

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Immigration would accept my mail in... But, I've got a few months to see is someone is successful with this option....

Contacted Star Visa, an LTR certified agent here in Chiang Mai, and asked about how they handled TM95 reporting. Their answer was, they can do the TM95 reporting at CM Immigration, i.e., no need for them to go to Bangkok. So, CM Imm has at least one Imm officer familiar with TM95s. But, I could probably spend the whole day wandering around looking for this individual. So, if nothing's resolved about mail in reporting come this July, guess I'll hire Star Visa, for 1000 baht. At least they know what door to knock on at Imm, plus they're a shorter drive than is Imm (tho' the post office is only a stones throw from my house). Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JimGant said:

Contacted Star Visa, an LTR certified agent here in Chiang Mai, and asked about how they handled TM95 reporting. Their answer was, they can do the TM95 reporting at CM Immigration, i.e., no need for them to go to Bangkok. So, CM Imm has at least one Imm officer familiar with TM95s. But, I could probably spend the whole day wandering around looking for this individual. So, if nothing's resolved about mail in reporting come this July, guess I'll hire Star Visa, for 1000 baht. At least they know what door to knock on at Imm, plus they're a shorter drive than is Imm (tho' the post office is only a stones throw from my house). Oh well.

Easy to do update at CM Immigration in general as they have a drive through window - 1,000 baht is very expensive for filing a report...

On 2/26/2024 at 7:30 AM, JimGant said:

I doubt anybody working the drive through window has ever seen a TM 95.

I am fairly certain they have or at least know what it us now as a friend who lives in CM got his LTR visa a year ago and did his visa renewal at CM in person it was very easy.

I wonder about all of the services that have only recently been "certified"... my intuiton is that you would do a quick job yourself.

16 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I am fairly certain they have or at least know what it us now as a friend who lives in CM got his LTR visa a year ago and did his visa renewal at CM in person it was very easy.

Visa renewal ? His permission to stay renewal would be after 5 years, not 1 year.  And a renewal (?) for another LTR would be after 10 years and not 1 year.  ...   I assume you mean his 1 year report?

Great news if he was able to do his 1 year report at CM without having to go to Bangkok (although I type that noting that for some of us  Bangkok can be a fun visit at times - in particular my wife enjoys going there to shop and the 1-year report gives her a good excuse to arrange a Bangkok trip for the two of us  - and a happy wife is a happy life 😄 ).

Edited by oldcpu

16 hours ago, JimGant said:

I can just see me in the drive thru, with the clerk scratching his head and calling higher authority -- while ten cars behind me are warming up their horns... I've got a few months to decide about Star Visa. They're a lot closer to me than Imm, plus no parking problem or streets to cross. Beside, hey, I'm a Wealthy Pensioner -- why worry about 1000 baht

It was a no go with central festival immigration . They told me to go Bangkok for tm 95. So star visa must be dealing with someone at the airport immigration. Hope it is true that chiang mai immigration can process tm 95. 

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Star Visa is one of only four "certified agencies (CA)" in Thailand that BoI has certified (i.e., blessed) to facilitate LTR applications.  So maybe being a BoI CA gets Star's foot in the door at Chiang Mai immigration offices for LTR purposes...don't know...just guessing.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:31 PM, oldcpu said:

Visa renewal ? His permission to stay renewal would be after 5 years, not 1 year.  And a renewal (?) for another LTR would be after 10 years and not 1 year.  ...   I assume you mean his 1 year report?

Great news if he was able to do his 1 year report at CM without having to go to Bangkok (although I type that noting that for some of us  Bangkok can be a fun visit at times - in particular my wife enjoys going there to shop and the 1-year report gives her a good excuse to arrange a Bangkok trip for the two of us  - and a happy wife is a happy life 😄 ).

You know what I mean... I assume that you are being funny.Yes he did his one year reporting at the immigration office near the air[port.

For the agency's this is a new field - do your due diligence and be very skeptical I learned to be careful talking to all of the agencies and getting different answers going direct to the BOI was the best in the end..

On 2/29/2024 at 1:40 PM, JimGant said:

I can just see me in the drive thru, with the clerk scratching his head and calling higher authority -- while ten cars behind me are warming up their horns... I've got a few months to decide about Star Visa. They're a lot closer to me than Imm, plus no parking problem or streets to cross. Beside, hey, I'm a Wealthy Pensioner -- why worry about 1000 baht 😉

On 2/29/2024 at 1:40 PM, JimGant said:

I can just see me in the drive thru, with the clerk scratching his head and calling higher authority -- while ten cars behind me are warming up their horns... I've got a few months to decide about Star Visa. They're a lot closer to me than Imm, plus no parking problem or streets to cross. Beside, hey, I'm a Wealthy Pensioner -- why worry about 1000 baht 😉

Sometimes you need to read between the lines - use your intuition...

11 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

You know what I mean... I assume that you are being funny.

No. I am correcting a mistake.  Cavalierly mistyping (stating "visa renewal" instead of "1 year report") may be a trivial matter for you, but it is not for others.

11 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Yes he did his one year reporting at the immigration office near the air[port.

Its good to read that he was successful.  Hopefully such 1 year reports for LTR visas become possible at all immigration offices in the future.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

No. I am correcting a mistake.  Cavalierly mistyping (stating "visa renewal" instead of "1 year report") may be a trivial matter for you, but it is not for others.

Correct it is a trivial matter because almost everyone quickly sees it is a typo just like some of us make spelling or grammar mistakes as English is not their first language or they are working full time...

Cavalierly was rudely and incorrectly used _ There was no lack of concern for others, just the opposite I was trying to help. And it was certainly not important as it is common knowledge that you don't renew your visa after one year but after five years (maybe) usually, therefore an obvious and clear typo next time I wont post as people such as yourself are somewhat challenging to deal with... Please do not comment on my posts going forward...

Edited by TravelerEastWest
  • Confused 2