LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

I showed my yearly pension  and matching bank account statements. Unlike Immigration BOI show some sensible flexibility. Now I was helped by the fact that they had dozens of identical cases (Pension + Health plan) shortly after I applied.

Ben Zioner

Thank you for your thoughtful response!

My friend is not yet receiving a pension, but has the passive income and age...

I am wondering what type of letter he should write to the BOI - I am not sure as I submitted Form 1040 so it was easy for me.

I did receive a message with someone who used a Thai CPA to write that a Thai return was not needed. Also he wrote a letter stating that his country did not require a tax return...

Edited by TravelerEastWest

11 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I am wondering what type of letter he should write to the BOI

Honestly he should send an email to BOI to ask them. They are totally sensible, down to earth, service oriented people. 

13 hours ago, Pib said:

And even when that someone "did" have a tax return to submit but it showed less than the required income requirement because some of his income is "non-reportable/non-taxable" then that is when the other income documents come into play....actually become the primary documents to prove the required income and the tax return is just a secondary document.   An example would be for a U.S. military veteran drawing a "Veteran's Administration (VA)" pension/benefit which could be tens of thousands of dollars per year---not one penny of that is taxable/reportable on a tax return per U.S. tax law....and the VA does not even provide an annual tax document because by law the benefit is not taxable/reportable.    

Another example is a US taxpayer with rental income that isn't taxable because of deductible expenses such as depreciation, etc. The rental income isn't included in taxable income on a US 1040 tax filing, but can be included as income for an LTR visa application.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Misty said:

Another example is a US taxpayer with rental income that isn't taxable because of deductible expenses such as depreciation, etc. The rental income isn't included in taxable income on a US 1040 tax filing, but can be included as income for an LTR visa application.

Interesting, in the UK we report the gross rental income & then add entries to remove the deductibles but any Income from an ISA (Individual Savings Account, which could be many £1,000s) doesn't go on the Tax return so I'm assuming you would be able to supply a Dividend report from your ISA Provider to show any income received. 

5 hours ago, Misty said:

According to below info weblink you declare/report the income on US  1040 Sechedule E along with expenses,  depreciation, etc., which results in some amount possibly being taxable.  But yea, the final amount from Schedule E appearing on the 1040 would give the impression of lower total income.  That's where a memo pointing out income related issues can help explain to BOI.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/rental-income-tax

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Thank you folks for the ideas.

The real estate question is interesting as I wonder if the BOI is interested in cashflow or only taxable income? Misty's post leads me to think cashflow is considered even if not taxable income - which is good

BOI staff are friendly and helpful but don't always think outside the box...

Edited by TravelerEastWest

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Thank you folks for the ideas.

The real estate question is interesting as I wonder if the BOI is interested in cashflow or only taxable income? Misty's post leads me to think cashflow is considered even if not taxable income - which is good

BOI staff are friendly and helpful but don't always think outside the box...

They are interested in income, whether taxable or not.

BOI knows some income is "non-reportable/non taxable" on a tax return...and it varies from country to country.  So, if your tax return does not show all your income because that income is non-reportable/non-taxable by law then be sure to point that out in a memo....BUT be sure you can provide an official document that shows that non-reportable/non-taxable income as BOI will need to see that.

What is actually best is where you provide official documents identifying your total income like pension certificates, bank/financial records, etc., and then your tax return if you have to file annually.   Now the tax return many not reflect all you income and you explain why it does not in a memo.  In cases like this a tax return is a secondary document to the official documents identifying your income.   

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

so just to clarify the new income  tax  rules are to help the  poor yet they offer a  no tax clause for only the fairly  well off using an LTR visa ? sounds  about right

the RD and LTR folks do spell out basically the tax benefits too...just google "Thai LTR and taxes", there are a number of choices to read concerning what type of LTR etc and your passive income.

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

the RD and LTR folks do spell out basically the tax benefits too...just google "Thai LTR and taxes", there are a number of choices to read concerning what type of LTR etc and your passive income.

I  think you may have missed  my point where when introduced the Thai Pm said he knew the tax changes  would be unwelcome but it was to help the poor.............then gives the rich a tax free  visa

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Misty said:

Unless they wish to work

If we say like this:

If you want to work, you need work permit. With such permit you can get business visa/extension.

For retirees, there is already a better option with only 800k or 65k per month.

For people with Thai children or married to a Thai there is 400k or 40k per month option.

Besides that, visas for education, rather long stay tourist visas and smart visas.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

If we say like this:

If you want to work, you need work permit. With such permit you can get business visa/extension.

For people with Thai children or married to a Thai there is 400k or 40k per month option.

Besides that, visas for education, rather long stay tourist visas and smart visas.

The weathy pensioner(1 of 4 categories if one were to check it out first) allows one to get a work  permit through the Board of Investment also, as  for the tax effects, there are several categories  there too, I never said that one didn't have to pay taxes and with the LTR the visa (work permited too) is 10-years.  In the 10-year period, if one travels in and out of Thailand, this visa is even cheaper than a retirement visa and it doesn't tie up any of one's money with required bank restrictions.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

If we say like this:

That's just a laundry list of different visas possibly available to a person without any "details" as to the pros/cons/challenges/costs/etc., in obtaining and maintaining a visa.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misty said:

For those who qualify, an LTR visa is generally much better than the other options you mention. 

But if you don't qualify, rationalizing that other visa options are better -- should make you feel better about your lack of assets.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HerewardtheWake said:

PIB's points are quite important. I am sure BoI will insist on an LTR visa holder's having met the requirements during all the time the visa has been valid. 

Going to be hard to get the Health Insurance companies to write a document stating you've been insured for the past 5 years. Might need to keep the actual 5 years of policies to show proof. The pension income should not be a problem for most.

36 minutes ago, HerewardtheWake said:

PIB's points are quite important. I am sure BoI will insist on an LTR visa holder's having met the requirements during all the time the visa has been valid. 

Never dipping below 100k in a bank account used for health self-insuring -- might be interesting to 100% prove. Probably asking only for end-of-year statements would be the solution.

3 hours ago, Pib said:

That's just a laundry list of different visas possibly available to a person without any "details" as to the pros/cons/challenges/costs/etc., in obtaining and maintaining a visa.  

Yeah, 1900 baht a year is terrible. A foreigner that has problems with that should just stay home.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Misty said:

For those who qualify, an LTR visa is generally much better than the other options you mention.   

How is it better? That you can stay longer? Because you need more money to qualify? Because it´s new? :cheesy:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Never dipping below 100k in a bank account used for health self-insuring -- might be interesting to 100% prove. Probably asking only for end-of-year statements would be the solution.

Plan for the worst...."monthly" statements since almost all banks provide monthly statements.  I expect most everyone logs onto their bank/financial account(s) at least once a month...just be sure to download and save that monthly statement.  Plus, most banks/financial companies show at least several years worth of past statements in case of not logging on frequently.  

And if going the insurance policy method just be sure to save an annual copy.  If going the Tricare coverage method be sure to get an annual Tricare coverage eligibility letter as that letter reflects the effective coverage going back up to 6 years which confirms you have continuous coverage going back at least 6 years.

46 minutes ago, DodgerRodger said:

I emailed BOI about this very subject in January this year.  This is their reply...image.png.d387ae45cd3c894177e5d1946084e192.png

Good to hear. Can't believe I've done nearly 2 years of LTR visa  already. Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by stuarty

1 hour ago, DodgerRodger said:

I emailed BOI about this very subject in January this year.  This is their reply...image.png.d387ae45cd3c894177e5d1946084e192.png

Yet that answer goes against the note on their website and also against the STM8 form a person signs just before the LTR visa is issued...partial cut and paste from the STM8 form directly below.  Also goes against another area of the BOI website (partial quota at bottom).  And wouldn't it be scary if the LTR rep answer/response had a brain fart typo with that typo being the "not" in their answer....that is, the "not" was not suppose to be there.

image.png.6a79e793cab014d788d6ea12db010788.png

Partial Quote/snapshot from BOI website...doesn't specifically talk the $100K health insurance self-insure but its clear they want you to have health insurance coverage in the form of a policy "or enough money to pay medical bills."

https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/visa-issuance-info.html

image.png.964070c53cf386d2604fa13d72f75d66.png

12 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  think you may have missed  my point where when introduced the Thai Pm said he knew the tax changes  would be unwelcome but it was to help the poor.............then gives the rich a tax free  visa

Thai government prefers the wealthy over the Cheap Charlies.

The $80k requirement for the WP LTR is about $6,700 per month passive income. 

They believe someone living on $6700 per month will spend more in Thailand than someone living on 65k ($1800) baht per month.

Some of the Cheap Charlies claim they live on $1000 per month.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

If going the Tricare coverage method be sure to get an annual Tricare coverage eligibility letter as that letter reflects the effective coverage going back up to 6 years which confirms you have continuous coverage going back at least 6 years.

So you'll only need to get one Tricare letter -- the one you get in the year of your five-year update -- since it will reflect that you've had coverage for the previous six years.