LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

58 minutes ago, JimGant said:

So you'll only need to get one Tricare letter -- the one you get in the year of your five-year update -- since it will reflect that you've had coverage for the previous six years.

Yeap...assuming BOI accepts/understands what the note says versus wanting to see some "annual" document.  I plan to play it safe and just get a new Tricare letter every year.   Easy enough to get by logging onto milConnect via DSLogon to download the letter "or" just calling the DEERS folks who then email you the letter within a few hours.

Edited by Pib

14 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  think you may have missed  my point where when introduced the Thai Pm said he knew the tax changes  would be unwelcome but it was to help the poor.............then gives the rich a tax free  visa

Your timeline is backwards.

The Royal Decree instituting the tax exemption for LTR holders was introduced in May 2022, before the current PM was even in power. The Revenue Department order regarding overseas income was issued in September 2023.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Your timeline is backwards.

The Royal Decree instituting the tax exemption for LTR holders was introduced in May 2022, before the current PM was even in power. The Revenue Department order regarding overseas income was issued in September 2023.

then he should cancel  the LTR visa as it makes a  mockery of his  statement to tax  others to help the  poor

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A BOI LTR visa was a well thought out plan as it included many facets which work well for those of us who qualify. The tax Exemption was just icing on the cake for us.

The icing on the cake has, since last September new order announcement, become a real discriminative benefit for those who qualify.

Unfair rules do not incline people to follow it, unenforced laws neither (fortunately).

22 hours ago, JimGant said:

Never dipping below 100k in a bank account used for health self-insuring --  be interesting to 100% prove. Probably asking only for end-of-year statements would be the solution.

I did my ltr with a health plan insurance .
Anyone if one can change from insurance coverage to the self insure 100 k during the 5 years?

Does the 100K cash have to be one account account or can be spread to a few accounts?

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

That's a funny twist. My standard insurance certificate doesn't show an expiry date, as there isn't one, but shows that I have been a member of the plan since 1991.

Same on my Cigna standard certificate. I asked them to state in an ad hoc certificate I was insured for life ("until I die"), and they did.

Question about Going to the LTR visa people at Chimichurri Plaza, Bangkok:

I want to take the US$100,000 deposit option for maintaining my LTR visa.

I have the relevant account statements for the last 12 months. Can I just drop by at the Chimichurri building? Or do I need to get an appointment? Contacting them on the phone has been a futile effort and email messages get a canned irrelevant response.

8 hours ago, JackGats said:

Same on my Cigna standard certificate. I asked them to state in an ad hoc certificate I was insured for life ("until I die"), and they did.

I am with Cigna (UN) too. Who did you deal with to get that ad hoc certificate, your Cigna contact of your HRD?

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I am with Cigna (UN) too. Who did you deal with to get that ad hoc certificate, your Cigna contact of your HRD?

My plan is managed by Cigna on behalf of my ex-employer. I sent my query to the same Cigna people who deal with any problems arising out of health-care refunds.

I told them what the Thais wanted to read on the certificate, ie "insured for life" and "insured for amount greater than". I explained getting this 10-year visa would be invaluable to me as I would no longer have to renew my visa every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not discriminatory in any way shape or form. If you believe it's discriminatory then you need to look at other visas which have requirements others do not. Case in point is the OA visa or extension of stay which requires a retiree to maintain health Insurance with a company from inside thailand, on a HI list, and show this proof annually, whereas a person on an O visa or extension of stay does not have to show this requirement.  Many different classes of Visas and many different requirements such as showing 400k in the bank vs. 800k in the bank.

My view with people who yell discrimination is that they have an axe to grind because they don't qualify to obtain said visa.

The tax Exemption was a selling point for me as well as all the other add on, such as only reporting once a year, multi re-entry permit and not having to renew for 5 years to show I still qualified.

I mean discriminatory in term of tax.

You have to show enough money to qualify and pay no tax. To me, it's a huge benefit and significantly unfair.

But good for anyone who qualifies and wants to live legally tax-free in Thailand. The LTR visa route is the go-to as all perks exceed all the other kind of visa at less average cost.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yumthai said:

I mean discriminatory in term of tax.

You have to show enough money to qualify and pay no tax. To me, it's a huge benefit and significantly unfair.

Discriminatory tax laws are legion. Take Belgium with:

- a 50-60% income tax on wages and pensions 

- no wealth tax

- 1% VAT only on diamond transactions (Jewish tax-haven in Antwerp)

It's difficult to imagine a more <deleted>-up tax system than that but still there are quite a few like it in the first world.

The peculiarity with the LTR in TH is that the discrimination  is linked to a visa. But even that is not so rare. Until recently Portugal had a 10% tax on foreigner's pensions while taxing their own national pensions at over 30%. Note that the LTR would be self-defeating if it didn't include a tax clause as the aim was to attract big spenders.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Note that the LTR would be self-defeating if it didn't include a tax clause as the aim was to attract big spenders.

Not sure about that. Even without the tax exemption, the other perks alone exceed the other visas requirements.

Furthermore, tax issue should not be something to consider (and remittances are manageable anyway) for big spenders willing to settle in Thailand, or is it?

Edited by Yumthai
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pib said:

FUNDS ARE IMMEDIATELY ACCESSABLE TO PAY MEDICAL BILLS then the acct satisfies the self-insure requirement.

Would BOI consider an American Express Gold Charge Card? I've held one since 1980 with an excellent payment history, always paying charges before the due date. I've been using the card to pay for all my private hospital bills, including comprehensive annual check-ups, medications, and bi-yearly follow-ups for the past 23 years which also includes a recent emergency operation for the removal of a burst appendix.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Totally unintelligible... Or are you saying that LTR holders should volunteer to pay tax? Which would be even more stupid.

No, I meant the more money you have the less an issue tax should be, as you can afford to pay it without impacting much your lifestyle or the place you wanna live. Whereas, if your income/wealth is limited tax impact cannot be neglected.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

No, I meant the more money you have the less an issue tax should be, as you can afford to pay it without impacting much your lifestyle or the place you wanna live. Whereas, if your income/wealth is limited tax impact cannot be neglected.

So you don't understand income tax at all.

Most countries do the same:

a) Buy the vote of the masses, hence [near] 0 tax up to half a million a year, that where many Farang retirees are BTW,

b) Be subservient to the power of money, by implement all sorts of tax evasion schemes for the rich,

c) Hit the middle classes as hard as you can, as they are not too many voters and neither do they have the power of big money.

Doubt there are many rich amongst the LTR holders, the are mostly the middle class. I's be paying close to one quarter of my income if I had to pay here.

I have always hated the progressive income tax systems, because it hurt me when I was submitted to it, but also just for what it is: an incentive for mediocrity and laziness. Ronald Reagan is one of the few rulers who could see this and do something about it. Even though he never managed to get a true flat IT implemented.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

Would BOI consider an American Express Gold Charge Card? I've held one since 1980 with an excellent payment history, always paying charges before the due date. I've been using the card to pay for all my private hospital bills, including comprehensive annual check-ups, medications, and bi-yearly follow-ups for the past 23 years which also includes a recent emergency operation for the removal of a burst appendix.

Nope...credit cards not accepted as a substitute for cash in the bank for self insuring. 

During the first six months or so of the LTR program (until early 2023) BOI was accepting brokerage/retirement type accts based on stock value as an acceptable method to self insure but apparently they stopped accepting that method to self insure.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Nope...credit cards not accepted

I specifically stated an American Express Gold Charge Card, which is not a credit card! Readily available cash is necessary to utilize a card like the AMEX CHARGE gold card.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

So you don't understand income tax at all.

Most countries do the same:

a) Buy the vote of the masses, hence [near] 0 tax up to half a million a year, that where many Farang retirees are BTW,

b) Be subservient to the power of money, by implement all sorts of tax evasion schemes for the rich,

c) Hit the middle classes as hard as you can, as they are not too many voters and neither do they have the power of big money.

Doubt there are many rich amongst the LTR holders, the are mostly the middle class. I's be paying close to one quarter of my income if I had to pay here.

I have always hated the progressive income tax systems, because it hurt me when I was submitted to it, but also just for what it is: an incentive for mediocrity and laziness. Ronald Reagan is one of the few rulers who could see this and do something about it. Even though he never managed to get a true flat IT implemented.

I understand very well what countries are doing taxing people. My point is that this LTR visa in unfair tax-wise but good for those who can afford it.

In order to produce US$ 80K a year steady passive income you need at least US$ 7 figures invested, I consider it being well-off not rich.

Edited by Yumthai

16 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

I specifically stated an American Express Gold Charge Card, which is not a credit card! Readily available cash is necessary to utilize a card like the AMEX CHARGE gold card.

Understand....but it still relies on you being able to pay the monthly card bill.  If you can't pay the monthly charge I expect AmEx would cancel/freeze the card.  Plus, card companies can cancel/freeze cards on a whim preventing its use but freezing a bank acct with $100K is not likely to happen.  Bottomline it still relies on you having the "cash" to pay the card bill.

Contact BOI and ask....and I recommend you point out the difference between an AmEx Credit and Charge Card card which below AmEx webpage should do.

https://www.americanexpress.com/in/credit-know-how/how-do-credit-cards-work/#:~:text=A Charge Card works like,full by the due date.

image.png.681d2b8f4dd0991cae33e63efe163fee.png

On 3/28/2024 at 4:30 AM, Ben Zioner said:

You can definitely stay on LTR, even LTR/WP, and get a work permit. But you'd have to pay income tax on local income.

Precisely - there are 4 different classes of LTR visas - and all allow to quite easily apply for a work permit. One of subclasses is meant for ppl working in Thailand - they then get a preferential and in may eyes reasonable flat tax rate of 17%. Income generated in Thailand is always subject to taxation. Income generated abroad - world income - is tax free for holders of LTR visas. This is certainly not unfair. Excessive taxation is unfair. There are many such schemes in the world, UK non-dot status is just one example; they greatly benefit the countries that introduce them but of course there's always the envious ones disguising their envy as 'looking for justice or fairness' or whatever. Life is neither. But individuals can act fairly. Governments can be clever at best and act in the best interest of their home country. Thailand is quite good at that. If you act fairly and respectfully Thais and most government agencies will mostly recognise such and treat you accordingly. 

Edited by White Rabbit
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not discriminatory in any way shape or form. If you believe it's discriminatory then you need to look at other visas which have requirements others do not. Case in point is the OA visa or extension of stay which requires a retiree to maintain health Insurance with a company from inside thailand, on a HI list, and show this proof annually, whereas a person on an O visa or extension of stay does not have to show this requirement.  Many different classes of Visas and many different requirements such as showing 400k in the bank vs. 800k in the bank.

My view with people who yell discrimination is that they have an axe to grind because they don't qualify to obtain said visa.

The tax Exemption was a selling point for me as well as all the other add on, such as only reporting once a year, multi re-entry permit and not having to renew for 5 years to show I still qualified.

Quick addition: For the OA Visa the health insurance can be from a company outside of Thailand. In my case that insurance cost only 69€ or 62 USD per month and had unlimted coverage. The prices and max coverage of the Thai insurance companies are ludicrous.